Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 08:13 AM

I'd be a player at 17K USD if it came with seatbag with 12K cash in it and didn’t have a slot cut in the steerer tube. This one truly is for oral surgeons, because they might need one.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:23 AM

It is a lovely bike, carefully and tastefully executed. With all kudos to the builders, perhaps a new variation for all who find the brand simply aspirational could be be called the ‘L.Frank ‘.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This Baum looks very nice in the pictures. But I'm numb to all these expensive bikes.
This is where I'm at these days. I look at the price for all of the top end bikes these days and think they are well out of control. This one is just slightly more out of control.

I can appreciate it for what it is, but the good news for me is I don't want or need anything like this. I love riding bikes and I'm happy to keep riding the old rim brake anti-aero bikes I own.

I think if hot new bikes are your thing, nothing wrong with plunking the money down for one of these. There are plenty of people who have WAY more expensive toys in their garage. Certainly the world would be boring if every choice was the practical choice.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:17 AM

Bike looks pretty nice
Slot in the steerer makes me feel uneasy.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:18 AM

Apparently, You are not a Baum customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
$24,950 AUD.

Hmm, let me consider. The Baum or:

A) Fitting my whole house with new double glazed windows
B) Re-modelling the entire kitchen including new Italian appliances
C) A second car for our one car family
D) A high quality solar system for the house

Hello? Baum? Yeah I'd like to place an order...
Old 02-25-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This is where I'm at these days. I look at the price for all of the top end bikes these days and think they are well out of control. This one is just slightly more out of control.

I can appreciate it for what it is, but the good news for me is I don't want or need anything like this. I love riding bikes and I'm happy to keep riding the old rim brake anti-aero bikes I own.

I think if hot new bikes are your thing, nothing wrong with plunking the money down for one of these. There are plenty of people who have WAY more expensive toys in their garage. Certainly the world would be boring if every choice was the practical choice.
To look at it from a different perspective, w hile few of us have a single bike that cost $20,000, lots of us have four bikes that cost $5,000, or 10 bikes that cost $2,000. While personally, I am someone who likes to ride different bikes, I also know plenty of people who just have one bike and ride that one bike just as much, or more than I ride all my different bikes.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
To look at it from a different perspective, w hile few of us have a single bike that cost $20,000, lots of us have four bikes that cost $5,000, or 10 bikes that cost $2,000. While personally, I am someone who likes to ride different bikes, I also know plenty of people who just have one bike and ride that one bike just as much, or more than I ride all my different bikes.
Perfectly reasonable response. Spoken like a true economist.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:50 PM

Dunno about this. I do not know anyone who would buy this bike at USD 20,000. But I am pretty certain that the people who buy this bike new will also have more than one bike that have strong-feeling-inducing prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Old 02-25-2024, 02:23 PM
Meh

Again, for tbe target audience, the price is a feature.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Again, for tbe target audience, the price is a feature.
Such a belittling and generalized remark about fellow cyclists. How do you know that? Someone works hard and has the means to purchase something they will enjoy. I know a lot of high net worth folks and none of them thinlks like what you implied. Your remark says more about you than the purchaser of a Baum bike. Sheesh.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:16 PM

Why do we even have to debate bikes like this?

It always brings out the worst of the forum. Whether it's "this is dumb cause it's expensive!" or "you're just too poor to appreciate the finer things peasant!" from the two sides.

It's not like they're making lots of them or they are supposed to be for lots of people or you anyone should feel like they are missing out if they don't get one. They're just trying to sell a few to keep a small company going.

Almost everyone here can likely afford one. Almost everyone here doesn't care. 99% of us will never see one. 99% of the cyclists we know have no idea who Baum is. It's just not really something to have strong emotions about. I know I'd have never heard of them if I didn't have a membership here.

Last edited by benb; 02-25-2024 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Such a belittling and generalized remark about fellow cyclists. How do you know that? Someone works hard and has the means to purchase something they will enjoy. I know a lot of high net worth folks and none of them thinlks like what you implied. Your remark says more about you than the purchaser of a Baum bike. Sheesh.
I agree. Lots of assumptions being made here about Baum buyers. No one knows what sacrifices someone has made to own something special. And it is a special bike that incorporates a lot of effort from the builders. I don’t see it as a cash grab by Baum at all.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Yep.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:31 PM

i will say it is a looker. modern bike prices are just insane. his stock geo puts my TT length as a "tweener"...i'm guessing for that kind of cash he'd accommodate me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celaris-header-1.jpg (62.7 KB, 170 views)
Old 02-25-2024, 03:42 PM

The bike is absolutely stunning. Don't think I've ever seen a Baum I didn't love. But yeah, never going to afford one. That's fine. I'd love to give one a whirl though. If I had that kind of money I'd consider it. And as said above, new bike prices are insane now.