Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 03:32 PM

2021 TDF - Col du Tourmalet

Next July, I plan to fly into Barcelona, rent a campervan, and drive to southern France to watch the climb up the Tourmalet. I plan to arrive early Tuesday morning for the Thursday (7/15) stage. On Wednesday, I plan to climb the Tourmalet (hopefully, both sides).

Has anyone experienced climbing the Tourmalet (especially during the TDF)? In 2015, I traveled to Alpe d'Huez, rented a ski chalet, and climbed the mountain the day before the pros came through; so, I understand the crowds and need to arrive early. I'm interested in comments related to the Tourmalet and its surroundings. Insights regarding staying in a small campervan on the roadside are particularly welcome.

Thanks. EWO
Old 12-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Sounds like a great trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 06:48 PM

I was there way back in 2003, so this is a bit dated but I think most will still hold true:

I'm not sure you're going to get a spot on the Tourmalet showing up 48hrs before the stage....it's a long climb, but people routinely spent all week there, and given the timing of the stage, I'll bet people start arriving the weekend before, especially given how restricted the 2020 Tour was....I expect people will show up in force next year if they're allowed.

The east side, from Bagneres-de-Bigorre most of the way to La Mongie will be where most campers go. Forget about anything past La Mongie to the top. The west side to Luz Sainte Saveur has fewer spots to park/camp (at least it did then), so might be less crowded....but here are smaller villages along the way (Bareges is prob the furthest up the climb). Maybe consider staying on that side and riding up and back over from the east side.

We rode a lot of climbs that year and I've been to a lot of races, but climbing the Tourmalet on the day of the race is still my favorite. It was July 4th too, so a little extra motivation for us Yanks. It's a very long, hard climb....I remember getting to La Mongie and being crushed by seeing the final set of switchbacks to the top....but the crowds are intense and experience is awesome. Good luck and have a blast whatever you do!
Old 12-02-2020, 08:24 PM

In 1998 we did the Tourmalet and the Madeleine. For both, we rode up the day of and loved it. Long time ago but one of my greatest memories, especially when we were joined by Greg Lemond at the top of the Madeleine!

Very jealous of you!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:41 PM

loop

Bagneres - Lourdes - Argeles - Luz - Tourmalet - Bagneres makes for a good 100K loop. If you're hankering to do a second big climb, you'll go right by the bottom of the Hautacam just out of Argeles; it's an up, turn around and back down. If you're feeling extra crazy, you can tack on the Luz-Ardiden, another 15Ks farther on on your way to Luz and the Tourmalet. Enjoy!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:42 AM
Too Few Miles

We stayed in Bareges for a week before the tour came through doing all of the climbs the other folks have mentioned.

The traffic going up the day of the tour is insane and parking fills up super fast. You're right to want to be there at least two days ahead. If possible three.

There is a huge camper parking lot at the Super Bareges ski station. The good side is it is walkable (or a quick ride) to the top on race day. The down side is that you have to climb a good chunk of the Tourmalet every day to get back to base. It's close enough to the town of Bareges whereby you could ride down into town and get provisions easily.

Getting back down after the race is the real challenge. Walking is enforced for quite a while, and then very heavy traffic.

The real key is to take some extra days and do all of the classic climbs in the area. They are fantastic!

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions.