Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 06-25-2019, 04:07 PM

BMC SLT01 - Phonak 59cm

Waiting to get home and open the box with this frame in it but couldn't resist posting some pics in the meantime.

I've been looking for one of these frames for 10yrs, but as many of you know they are really hard to find and are often priced dearly. Came across this one last week and despite some of the condition challenges I figured I'd take a shot.

The original Easton EC90 SLX fork has been replaced by a 3T Funda clone, which is fine for now as I never had good luck with the SLX forks....too much shimmy. The seat clamp on these frame was also notorious for cracking right around the "dog-bone" style two-bolt clamp. In fact, the only ones I've seen without cracking issues are NOS frames where it just hasn't happened yet!

So the seller made a pretty interesting and astute mod to address that: he cut the dogbone clamp off, machined the remaining aluminum to match, then bonded a 31.6 aluminum sleeve with a 27.2 ID into the seat tube. Now there's just a standard seat post clamp and no more risk of cracking the dog-bone clamp!

I'm excited to get the frame and build it up with Record 10 and either a pair of Boras or Mavic Carbones.....just need to see how big of tires I can fit, but I'm guessing 25's at best. Will post more pics this weekend after the build is complete and I finish trimming the steerer tube to fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (74.6 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg (57.1 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg (83.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg (72.7 KB, 457 views)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM

U have no idea, i want one of those aswell... specially this one for what i meant at a time... congratulations, I envy you my self gonna have to continue waiting and waiting for the right size (51 stamped in the frame, in case somebody has one).

As for the solution with the clamp, great solution. I do not see why it should not work forever. As the old system, well they put those like aluminum cutted pieces that looks like cracked all the time, not that was that hard to just cut them in another shape from a piece of aluminum.

One advice, i know I do not have one THe brake cable is famous for rattling inside, you have two options, 1... use donuts which will die inside of the frame at the time to change the cables and the second one maybe put a piece of innercable case inside at the time to run the cable.

Personally I do not like how the original fork picked by them looks with the frame, the one you have looks great, maybe the straight one of the road racer model will work perfect aswell.

Congrats
Old 06-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Thanks Ultra.....great suggestion on the rattling cables, as I was trying to think of options of how to manage that problem. I figured I'd take a look when the frame arrives and see how much room I have to get some cable casing inside the frame.

I'm already dreading just getting cables through the frame....in a perfect world the buyer would have left some thread to pull through, but guessing I'm not that lucky!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Ex-Mr.President

I had one once and would love to find that exact color scheme in a 56 or maybe their sizing was a 55.

Anyway, I love this bike and cannot wait to see it built!

Please with Campy!!!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I had one once and would love to find that exact color scheme in a 56 or maybe their sizing was a 55.

Anyway, I love this bike and cannot wait to see it built!

Please with Campy!!!
Campy - of course!! Record 10 waiting to go on it this weekend!

Also, as for lucking out finding this one: I was in Europe for work and happened to be looking through my saved Ebay searches as I rode the Metro. The seller had just posted the ad and it was around midnight in the US. It took me 15min to clear the Metro, get to my PC and look at the pics in full size before I pulled the trigger....all the while I was sweating that someone else was awake in the US and was goign to beat me to it!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:06 AM

All done....not impressed with the existing fork (way too flexy) so I'll be looking for a replacement.....like Easton EC90 or 3T.

Otherwise it is completely dialed in.....took it for a shakedown ride and just kept going. 60mi later I figured I was good :-)

Very happy with the way this one turned out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190704_145430_960.jpg (147.2 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by KJMUNC; 07-05-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 AM
Ex-Mr.President

That looks fantastic!

I really like how that turned out and brings back some great memories.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Like this one.... as for fork maybe the fork that came in the bmc road racer?, those green and orange ones, second generation i believe.

Never been able to get one in my size of those, always you can find some stuff all the time... but those bmc in specific are always hard to find.

Great bike you have in there
Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 AM

That's a gorgeous bike!

I love everything about it. Well done!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM

I think there ~a lot of Easton EC90 SLX forks floating around if that's of interest....
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I think there ~a lot of Easton EC90 SLX forks floating around if that's of interest....
Never heard great things about the SLX....always heard they were noodles. I am looking at 3T Funda, Easton EC90 SL, and Reynolds Ouzo.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Never heard great things about the SLX....always heard they were noodles. I am looking at 3T Funda, Easton EC90 SL, and Reynolds Ouzo.
Well, it's a lightweight fork. I did not find the SLX lacking, but I'm on the lighter side myself....
Old 07-06-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Well, it's a lightweight fork. I did not find the SLX lacking, but I'm on the lighter side myself....
Ha....well good point! I'm 6'3 190lbs, so I have no business or desire running a lightweight fork.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 PM

A very emphatic YES! This thing is great.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56 AM

wow this is an awesome build, and the seat collar solution is pretty smart! I've always liked the industrial look of this era BMC, especially the seat lug.