Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM

Is there any hope for this Alchemy hub?

Trying to sell this wheelset for a friend, but um...there appears to be a problem.

A new freehub body should do the trick, but I'm not finding anything after a quick search, and the Alchemy site is not exactly overflowing with information. Links therein yield 404s.

Does anyone know anything about these hubs? Is there another freehub body that can be used? Are they even made any more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3691.jpg (79.1 KB, 322 views)
Old 01-24-2020, 01:29 PM

They're not made anymore. Wheels Manufacturing bought the design and they also picked up technical support for the second generation hubs (i.e the ORC-UL rears), but they dropped it some time between 2018 and 2019.

I would be surprised if there's another freehub body that's usable, TBH. When sold under the Wheels Manufacturing brand, they were made in their Colorado factory, so it's not like you could buy another Bitex or Novatec or whatever freehub. I'm not sure what the manufacturing arrangement was under Alchemy.

I wonder if ergott has any spare FH bodies, since he used to stock these hubs? It's also possible Wheels Mfg might have some left, but they're definitely not listed on their website. Fairwheel Bikes also used to stock them, I think. If any replacement freehubs exist, either ergott or Fairwheel might have them or know where to get them. Again, I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, do specify which hub you have, i.e. the ORC (made before 2012 or so) or the ORC-UL.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
They're not made anymore. Wheels Manufacturing bought the design and they also picked up technical support for the second generation hubs (i.e the ORC-UL rears), but they dropped it some time between 2018 and 2019.

I would be surprised if there's another freehub body that's usable, TBH. When sold under the Wheels Manufacturing brand, they were made in their Colorado factory, so it's not like you could buy another Bitex or Novatec or whatever freehub. I'm not sure what the manufacturing arrangement was under Alchemy.

I wonder if ergott has any spare FH bodies, since he used to stock these hubs? It's also possible Wheels Mfg might have some left, but they're definitely not listed on their website. Fairwheel Bikes also used to stock them, I think. If any replacement freehubs exist, either ergott or Fairwheel might have them or know where to get them. Again, I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, do specify which hub you have, i.e. the ORC (made before 2012 or so) or the ORC-UL.
Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I figured since nothing is showing up about them. I went ahead and sent Fairwheel a message, so we'll see what they say.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:13 PM

Did Fairwheel get back to you?

I have the same hub and the freehub body is busted as well. Was Fairwheel able to help you out at all?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudder View Post
I have the same hub and the freehub body is busted as well. Was Fairwheel able to help you out at all?
No, I haven’t gotten anything in response. At this point I’m calling the hub a loss. I’m Ute you’ve done some searching for a replacement as well, but I wasn’t able to find anything.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
No, I haven’t gotten anything in response. At this point I’m calling the hub a loss. I’m Ute you’ve done some searching for a replacement as well, but I wasn’t able to find anything.
Yep same here, just gonna replace the hub. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Email this gent

joed@wheelsmfg.com

I doubt they have anymore but worth a shot.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Email this gent

joed@wheelsmfg.com

I once sent an email to a wheels mfg address. No answer.

I have a set of the wheels MFG version of this hub and the rear bearings already need replacement after just a couple thousand miles. They're cool in a lot of ways but I'm not sure of their longevity.

For the thread originator, I'd probably give up on that hub and with with White Ind or another brand which still exists.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I once sent an email to a wheels mfg address. No answer.

I have a set of the wheels MFG version of this hub and the rear bearings already need replacement after just a couple thousand miles. They're cool in a lot of ways but I'm not sure of their longevity.

For the thread originator, I'd probably give up on that hub and with with White Ind or another brand which still exists.
Joe DePaemelaere is the tech/IT/ordering/ main guy..not at 'info@wheels' type guy. He also used to make Primas Mootry frames..
Old 02-26-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Joe DePaemelaere is the tech/IT/ordering/ main guy..not at 'info@wheels' type guy. He also used to make Primas Mootry frames..
That's good to know. I am aware of the PM frames.

I have heard these Wheels MFG hubs have pretty much ideal geometry for wheel rigidity. I'm glad I have them but the bearings have been a disappointment.

I need to get some bearing tools and take care of this.......
Old 02-26-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
That's good to know. I am aware of the PM frames.

I have heard these Wheels MFG hubs have pretty much ideal geometry for wheel rigidity. I'm glad I have them but the bearings have been a disappointment.

I need to get some bearing tools and take care of this.......
I've more or less given up on mine. The first generation Orc rear hub had one proprietary internal bearing that needed a specialized tool to service. I had a bike store I trust attempt to overhaul the rear hub ... he nearly pulled his hair out and wound up cutting me a deal on a new wheelset :-/

Ergott has mentioned on the forum that he's replaced the stock bearings in his hubs with Phil Wood bearings when they wore out. Maybe that's an option to consider. The stock bearings might not have had very good sealing.

(NB: I'm talking about the first generation Orc. You folks with the Wheels Mfg versions likely have the same deal as the Orc-UL.)

Side note: I've also bent an axle on the front hub, and I seem to have slightly bent the axle on my rear. The LBS guy called them in early 2019 about the hubs and either got no response or was told they couldn't help him (can't remember which).

I really liked the hubs in concept, but I'm pretty bummed that Wheels discontinued them. Perhaps the market for custom hubs is too small. The geometry advantages over known good options like White or DT are probably kind of small to justify the price premium as well.

Last edited by weiwentg; 02-26-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Email this gent

joed@wheelsmfg.com

Worth a try. Thanks, Peter.