Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 12:14 AM

Repaired carbon frame devaluation

How much should a carbon frame be devalued if it’s had a repair done to it?

There’s two frames in question, one had a top tube repair done and the other had the driveside chainstay. Both were done professionally by a shop that specializes in carbon bike repair and neither fix is all that visible to the eye unless you look carefully. Paint is not a factor since the frames both had the carbon weave visible where the repairs were done.

I’m thinking both these frames are now worth about 60% of what they would be otherwise (ie worth $300 if the same undamaged frame is worth $500).

Does this sound reasonable?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:34 AM

Yes.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat View Post
How much should a carbon frame be devalued if it’s had a repair done to it?

There’s two frames in question, one had a top tube repair done and the other had the driveside chainstay. Both were done professionally by a shop that specializes in carbon bike repair and neither fix is all that visible to the eye unless you look carefully. Paint is not a factor since the frames both had the carbon weave visible where the repairs were done.

I’m thinking both these frames are now worth about 60% of what they would be otherwise (ie worth $300 if the same undamaged frame is worth $500).

Does this sound reasonable?
I think that "60% of undamaged worth" sounds optimistic for a repaired carbon frame, depending on extent/location of the original damage of course. I would think 50% minimum, more likely 40%, for top tube/chainstays/etc. Those aren't trivial areas.

However: unless I really wanted a specific damaged frame and the seller provided repair receipts from a reputable repair house, as well as complete description/documentation of both the prior damage and the subsequent repaired condition, my own interest and investment would probably go immediately to 0%.

There are plenty of undamaged/un-repaired carbon frames available for purchase. Of course, one has to trust that sellers are honoring full disclosure in all cases, and we know that some do not.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 01-24-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:28 AM

Unless there's full documentation, zero in my mind. Plenty of unrepaired carbon frames out there.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:49 AM

a simple handlebar slammed onto the top tube repair is nothing major but a repaired DT cracked from a crash is a much different story. The problem is that there's no way to tell if it is former or later. I would not trust any carbon frame that's been involved in a crash no matter what ultrasound scan, X-ray scan shows.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:23 AM

Actually, carbon frames are quite repairable, and a good carbon shop can make a frame just a safe, perhaps even more so, than the original. As for depreciation, hard to say. Carbon frames depreciate so quickly as it is (ie, a two year old $3k carbon frame may fetch $800?), that a well repaired frame may only lose 10 or 20% more. I think carbon loses value so quickly because the shapes and look change so quickly in order to keep up with the "3% more compliant,4% stiffer, 2.32% lighter" motif. For example, ever look at a five year old Tarmac or such? They look ancient. A 5 year old Pegoretti? Classique.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Actually, carbon frames are quite repairable, and a good carbon shop can make a frame just a safe, perhaps even more so, than the original. As for depreciation, hard to say. Carbon frames depreciate so quickly as it is (ie, a two year old $3k carbon frame may fetch $800?), that a well repaired frame may only lose 10 or 20% more. I think carbon loses value so quickly because the shapes and look change so quickly in order to keep up with the "3% more compliant,4% stiffer, 2.32% lighter" motif. For example, ever look at a five year old Tarmac or such? They look ancient. A 5 year old Pegoretti? Classique.
This is correct, WRT depreciation.

The prices he's mentioning are realistic for used frames.

Provide documentation and pictures, if available, to a buyer. I have a Look 585 with a repaired left chainstay and it's been fine. I am fine with it because even if it fails it's not likely to be catastrophic in nature and the story I got when I bought the frame was believable and I got it for quite cheap with full disclosure of the history.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 AM

I would think full disclosure/reputation of who fixed it would help.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:27 AM

I don't know about the % of prices drop but carbon repair is not a big deal. I have been repairing frames for years. Not much harder than paper mache. Never had a problem with my hillbilly repairs, even on CX race bikes that get seriously abused. Hell, I have even made parts without issues. I have purchased some great bikes with minor repairs for a great price. Got a Cervelo S5 that was professionally repaired for $300 a couple of years ago.

Last edited by rockdude; 01-24-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 AM

They are worth nothing to me.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Ive ridden a repaired carbon frame and would not have concerns riding a frame that has been repaired. However, I would limit the repairs to top tube and down tube repairs as they are the easiest.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:46 AM

I got my Bianchi for dirt cheap because it was repaired on the seat tube near the derailleur clamp, its not even noticeable
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM

I'm in the zero camp, unless the repair came with a transferable warranty to the new owner.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
They are worth nothing to me.
I'm glad that's clear. I was wondering where exactly you stood on this issue. Now I know!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:32 AM

I've never shopped for a used carbon frame. However, if I were inclined to do so, I think that having a repair might not be a big deal if I can verify that it was done by a reputable shop. It's been said already: a) you can repair carbon to equal or greater than original strength, and b) carbon depreciates very fast (most metal bikes already depreciate pretty fast). I wouldn't pay 100% of what the bike would otherwise be worth, but maybe 60-90%.