Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Welcome to The Paceline, njyeti. I have no experience with either brand, but I'm surprised Pursuit hasn't been mentioned. Carl Strong and crew are making some nice looking frames up in Bozeman. Might be worth considering.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
A Holland even over a Crumpton? I do note that I get bike envy when I see a Holland carbon even when I’m on a Sarto or Parlee.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 PM

I saw my first Alchemy at NAHBS. Fell in love and after watching ebay for months, I bought a Helios.

It’s a nice frame, but...well, if anyone is interested in a 54cm rim brake electrical only Helios frame, let me know...
Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 PM

Another to consider: Hampsten’s Maglia Rosa. Custom tube to tube construction. Mine is quick, responsive and comfortable over any surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A8017227-7851-4C1D-9A1F-0309BC47803B.jpg (145.4 KB, 414 views)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
I believe that Sarto built the Corsa for Crumpton. As between Alchemy and Allied, I'd go for Alchemy since you can get it custom. If I could get any carbon frame regardless of cost, it would be a Crumpton. His bikes are costly due to the inefficiencies of basically building up everything (even the tubes) in house for the Type 5s. I realize there's a pretty big price gap between Alchemy and Allied to Crumpton. I'd recommend checking out Sarto. A great place to check out a bunch of custom builders is Blacksmith Cycles' website https://blacksmithcycle.com/ as they work with a lot of great builders.
Thanks that Blacksmith site is very helpful. I'd love to go Crumpton or Argonaut- but thats a whole new arena in price!!
Old 01-17-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Argonaut.
Crumpton

</thread>
exactly what I thought.....
Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
I saw my first Alchemy at NAHBS. Fell in love and after watching ebay for months, I bought a Helios.

It’s a nice frame, but...well, if anyone is interested in a 54cm rim brake electrical only Helios frame, let me know...
Hi Kramnin, did you ever build up this frame? If so, why are you selling? (what didn't you like about it?)

Thanks
Old 01-17-2020, 07:13 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Another to consider: Hampsten’s Maglia Rosa. Custom tube to tube construction. Mine is quick, responsive and comfortable over any surface.
The Hampstens is very reasonably priced as these things go, with these things being Allied and Alchemy: $3600 painted or $4000 painted for a custom MUSA carbon bike.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 PM

I can tell you that there are few...if any...custom carbon frames that surpass a Holland HC. NOT a cheap date though.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyeti View Post
Hi Kramnin, did you ever build up this frame? If so, why are you selling? (what didn't you like about it?)

Thanks
Yep, I rode it maybe 1000 miles.

I think part of the problem is that I had wanted one for so long that it would have been very difficult for it to have lived up to the hype I had built up in my mind. It rides great, but is considerably heavier than my weight weenie frames that ride almost as well.

Also, I had it built up with etap and I really don’t like etap...I should try it with di2 or eps, will probably like it more.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Yep, I rode it maybe 1000 miles.

I think part of the problem is that I had wanted one for so long that it would have been very difficult for it to have lived up to the hype I had built up in my mind. It rides great, but is considerably heavier than my weight weenie frames that ride almost as well.

Also, I had it built up with etap and I really don’t like etap...I should try it with di2 or eps, will probably like it more.
Thanks, this is incredibly helpful insight. I'm fearful of this happening to me as my evo is also a weight weenie build and does already ride fairly comfortably. The higher weight of tube to tube does concern me a bit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, this is incredibly helpful insight. I'm fearful of this happening to me as my evo is also a weight weenie build and does already ride fairly comfortably. The higher weight of tube to tube does concern me a bit.

While I know some tube-to-tube builders have built some great weightweenie frames, the tube-to-tube frames I make tend to come in around 1100 grams before paint. I want my frames to be ridden hard, and not babied. Carbon sometimes has a reputation as being fragile, but a carbon frame that weighed as much as a steel frame would be damn near indestructible. So in my mind, I'm not building a Supersix Evo that weights 50% more, I'm building a steel frame that weighs 30% less.

So with that said, make sure you're clear with any custom builder what you're looking for. Any builder should be able to make it clear to you what they can or cannot offer for you.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I had a himod Evo, from when they had 27.2mm seatposts. My Helios frame is almost a pound heavier.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Agreed -- Sartos rock. The Crumpton Corsa M was made by Nick in Texas. Corsa Team model was the one made in Italy -- by Sarto I believe.

njyeti -- do let us know what you ultimately decide.
This is accurate.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Plot twist- I'm going with a Seven titanium frameset (Axiom XX). Unless I bump up to the next price level for carbon (Crumpton, Argonaut, etc.) I'm worried it won't be enough of a difference from my Evo and I'll be always comparing it. With titanium's different feel hopefully this won't happen.

I'll post final build pictures when done- thanks again everyone for your feedback!

Last edited by njyeti; 01-24-2020 at 05:24 PM.