Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Umm, didn’t you have an Argonaut for a day or two?
Yeppers, for a hot minute - would have fit you perfectly, in case you forgot - was definitely a bit on the small side for me - and passing the screaming deal I got on it to a Paceline friend in SoCal was an alright outcome..

Old 01-14-2020, 11:50 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

njyeti...to bring this conversation back to your bicycle selection...what do you want out of the bicycle chosen?
What are your typical rides like?
What kind of distance/speed/terrain?
Old 01-15-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Neither. Gaulzetti Pavaix.
Or Aerotack.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
njyeti...to bring this conversation back to your bicycle selection...what do you want out of the bicycle chosen?
What are your typical rides like?
What kind of distance/speed/terrain?

Hey Blue Jays, I'm looking for a bike for hard solo training rides. I race XC & CX and would be on this bike about 5 days a week doing intervals, tempo, etc.- but no racing on this bike. For 4+ hour rides I'd use my Synapse for the comfort.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Seriously though, the Allied I had was exceptional - and I love that they make their own forks in house, which I don't believe Alchemy does.
How would you describe the ride quality and handling?

Also- sounds like you no longer have this bike- why'd you sell it?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Sarto is also doing custom geo tube to to tube carbon. I had one built a few years ago. Wait was about 3/4 months when I had mine built.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 AM

I'd go Alchemy over Allied based largely on my personal preference for tube to tube construction over a mold. You can't go wrong with Sarto either. But I'd put Nick Crumpton at the top of that list, especially if paying for custom. Not sure what his special sauce is, but the ride quality on my Corsa M is almost buttery while plenty stiff and ultra light. And his customer service is outstanding, even to a lowly second owner like me who wasn't the original buyer.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njyeti View Post
How would you describe the ride quality and handling?

Also- sounds like you no longer have this bike- why'd you sell it?
Ride quality and handling was pure road-racer - fast, confident, and precise. It seemed to absorb road chatter pretty well and didn't feel thrown off by unexpected bumps. The build was very clean inside and everything seemed tight and well-aligned.

Why did I sell it?

Well, other than me being me - it came to me with an aggressively cut steerer, and that forced a very long/low position for me. It was manageable for 50-70mi rides, I just didn't find myself wanting or needing to prioritize the speed of this bike and that position over the comfort and enjoyment of the ride and position of my other bikes - so I let it go. I think an Alfa Allroad disc would be a different story and would make a great "one-bike" option if you want to ride fondos and some dirt roads.....just don't whack the steerer the way mine was!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:25 AM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I'd go Alchemy over Allied based largely on my personal preference for tube to tube construction over a mold. You can't go wrong with Sarto either. But I'd put Nick Crumpton at the top of that list, especially if paying for custom. Not sure what his special sauce is, but the ride quality on my Corsa M is almost buttery while plenty stiff and ultra light. And his customer service is outstanding, even to a lowly second owner like me who wasn't the original buyer.
I believe that Sarto built the Corsa for Crumpton. As between Alchemy and Allied, I'd go for Alchemy since you can get it custom. If I could get any carbon frame regardless of cost, it would be a Crumpton. His bikes are costly due to the inefficiencies of basically building up everything (even the tubes) in house for the Type 5s. I realize there's a pretty big price gap between Alchemy and Allied to Crumpton. I'd recommend checking out Sarto. A great place to check out a bunch of custom builders is Blacksmith Cycles' website https://blacksmithcycle.com/ as they work with a lot of great builders.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Re:

Nobody has mentioned Landshark... John makes some beautiful bikes. https://landsharkbicycles.com/
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Ernesto says that Colnago is the best
I got a good laugh out of that, way to keep it au courant bicycletricycle.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:27 PM

I rode an Allied Alfa AR. I liked it so much that I ordered one. Depending on your size, Spot has some excellent deals on them right now. I preferred it to the OPEN UP, which I like very much too.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:07 PM

Allied

Out of those two- I would go Allied.
From what I have seen the quality control is better with Allied.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:22 PM

Get a Trek, you are special enough to tell the difference.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
I believe that Sarto built the Corsa for Crumpton. As between Alchemy and Allied, I'd go for Alchemy since you can get it custom. If I could get any carbon frame regardless of cost, it would be a Crumpton. His bikes are costly due to the inefficiencies of basically building up everything (even the tubes) in house for the Type 5s. I realize there's a pretty big price gap between Alchemy and Allied to Crumpton. I'd recommend checking out Sarto. A great place to check out a bunch of custom builders is Blacksmith Cycles' website https://blacksmithcycle.com/ as they work with a lot of great builders.
Agreed -- Sartos rock. The Crumpton Corsa M was made by Nick in Texas. Corsa Team model was the one made in Italy -- by Sarto I believe.

njyeti -- do let us know what you ultimately decide.