Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
I hate weekends, I am almost back to where I started.

Weekends are tough! I gained 1lb back and rode my bike for two hours each day. Got a nasty migraine yesterday after I was done from fasting and apparently pushing a bit too hard during the ride on empty. Going to keep at it this week though and hopefully see some more weight drop.

Allow yourself a day where you can have something as a reward and it may be easier to not cheat the rest of the week. That is the route I am going. Hopefully it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Weekends are tough! I gained 1lb back and rode my bike for two hours each day. Got a nasty migraine yesterday after I was done from fasting and apparently pushing a bit too hard during the ride on empty. Going to keep at it this week though and hopefully see some more weight drop.
Also keep in mind that when you're pushing yourself hard on rides you'll end up taking on more water weight as your body deals with inflammation.

I came back from a 750km bikepack across Corsica at Christmas that had me doing 3000-4000m of climbing per day on a loaded bike, heavy rain and wind every single day, never less than 9hr on the bike. Despite being underfed for almost the entire trip, due to scarcity of resources in the middle of the storm around the more desolate parts of the island, I actually weighed about 3kg more when I got back due to all the water I was carrying in my muscle tissue. Three days of rest later and I saw my true weight, 2kg below baseline (pre-trip). In other words, I was carrying nearly 5kg (11lb) of water weight. That's an additional 8% of my bodyweight
Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 AM

Alright, I finally put batteries in the scale after eating more cookies this weekend. Added myself to the sheet on the far right. Not sure if the color blocks on the top 3 rows are there for a challenge wide reason or just personal tracking. Need to read back through the thread but anyway looks like I have nearly 20 pounds to lose. Good luck everyone.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 AM

I think the 16:8 intermittent fasting is starting to pay off. I started it before the holidays but didn't see much result until this week; most likely due to the high fat/calories food I was eating in that period; but I didn't gain weight either.

I check the scale this morning compared to last Monday and I am down almost 6 lbs. Maybe feeling a little hungry in the morning and drinking black coffee do help. Also no more food after 8:00 PM...

Last edited by tuxbailey; 01-13-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 PM

I started cutting the processed sugars and desserts while upping my protein intake. Also started a weight routine. I don't have a scale - kinda judging by my appearance in the mirror and the fit of the clothes. Gotta say - I look better and I got energy now! But the sugar withdrawls were brutal....
Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 AM

Thanks all for sharing your successes, struggles, and insights. I find it motivational and encouraging. So far so good for me with no sugar, and no processed, no flour of any kind. I might relax the flour and allow a sandwich from time to time, but for me, bread-including pizza- and things like tortilla chips (we have some awesome ones made locally) are triggers. I eat them compulsively and to excess and then crave the pints of ice cream or gelato. Talenti containers have multiplied like tribbles around here. I have dozens and dozens. (They are great for storing bike parts, food, etc and I cant bring myself to throw them out/recycle).

There has been much discussion of diet here and elsewhere on PL, to say nothing of the rest of the Internet. I just watched "The Game Changers" and found it worth watching. It's recent and focuses on elite athletes. If you follow any of the plant-based vs meat debates you will recognize some of the characters; eg, Esselston, Ornish.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post

Allow yourself a day where you can have something as a reward and it may be easier to not cheat the rest of the week. That is the route I am going. Hopefully it works!

I get migraines also and 'gaining 1lb back'??...maybe not drinking enough water? Cuz you 'gained 1lb back'?? Not drinking water kinda triggers migraines in me, it seems..
Old 01-14-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I get migraines also and 'gaining 1lb back'??...maybe not drinking enough water? Cuz you 'gained 1lb back'?? Not drinking water kinda triggers migraines in me, it seems..

I think you are right. I drank some coffee earlier and probably thought I was properly hydrated because it was cool out. I don’t typically get them and had to take some ibuprofen and a nap in a dark room before it finally subsided.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 AM

Nice to see some progress on the ol' spreadsheet! Some of you are doing awesome!

Some of you are slacking (myself included). Time to update and stay motivated!

Work travel is tricky for me. I was in Arkansas last week and when I'd normally find the best dive restaurants, I stuck to chains for the most part. This breaks my "no chains" policy, but these chains also print their calories on the menu. I find that works to motivate me a bit. While I'm not currently counting calories (like I have successfully in the past). If I find multiple meals that sound appealing, I'll choose the lower calorie one. However the hotel breakfast was tasty and I ate normally. Probably could have made better progress if I behaved more.

Now that I'm back home I'm doing the 18:6 IF during the week and I find it works pretty well. The Zero phone app reminders help a lot to keep me on track.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:09 AM

Trying to hit my goals in the midst of planning a move and in the depths of PNW winter weather is a tall order......but I'm doing okay. I'm down a sustainable 3-lbs over the past two weeks, with no crash-diet silliness. I'm just eating primarily plant-based (call it 95%), have cut out all fried crap, not drinking any booze, and working on maintaining my workout regime -- actually swapping in some running for cycling to mix it up a bit and be ready for living without my smart-trainer for a couple months while in a condo situation..
Old 01-15-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Trying to hit my goals in the midst of planning a move and in the depths of PNW winter weather is a tall order......but I'm doing okay. I'm down a sustainable 3-lbs over the past two weeks, with no crash-diet silliness. I'm just eating primarily plant-based (call it 95%), have cut out all fried crap, not drinking any booze, and working on maintaining my workout regime -- actually swapping in some running for cycling to mix it up a bit and be ready for living without my smart-trainer for a couple months while in a condo situation..
I'm very curious what your motivations were (are) for the plant-based diet? I'm less interested in the aesthetic benefits of a plant based diet (I move plenty, don't really have a sweet tooth and rarely drink) and more interested in the internal benefits of a PBD. Antioxidants, minerals, etc. Also, cutting back on meat consumption is great for the planet.

As a long-time carnivore, I would find the transition to an exclusive plant based diet to be very difficult.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Administrator

not trying to lose weight per se, but wanted to chime in that i'm on day 3 of the gallon/day water routine.

i think i've been pretty deficient in that department for a long stretch.

i must say today, i feel really good. i'm going to try and keep it up for a few weeks and see if i note any other benefits.

gulp gulp
Old 01-15-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I'm very curious what your motivations were (are) for the plant-based diet? I'm less interested in the aesthetic benefits of a plant based diet (I move plenty, don't really have a sweet tooth and rarely drink) and more interested in the internal benefits of a PBD. Antioxidants, minerals, etc. Also, cutting back on meat consumption is great for the planet.

As a long-time carnivore, I would find the transition to an exclusive plant based diet to be very difficult.
It's really simple. Since around 2005, I've gone in and out of eating a vegan/PBD - my health is best when I'm doing that (combined with not drinking booze) and worst when I'm not. And by health I mean body composition, digestion, energy levels, sleep, skin, and test results.

I would be 100% plant based and have no problem with it if it weren't for the fact that my wife believes she is allergic to soy, almonds and wheat.....we spend a lot of time together and eat most of our meals together, so that rules out a good number of PBD meal options for me.

Beans and rice are my life, plus veggies and fruits.....and cereal grains.

Also, it does take a bit of persistence as your gut biome gets used to processing a larger amount of plants - but after a week, you'll be fine. My recommendation is just to eat more plants (grains, fruits, veg) and over time that will crowd out the meat and dairy - unless you want to jump in the deep end, which is certainly an option too.

Last edited by Clean39T; 01-15-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 PM

Been away from here for awhile.

Started the year at 205 and most recently weighed in at 202. Can't even say that's a fat loss yet, but both numbers were consistent over a few days.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
Been away from here for awhile.

Started the year at 205 and most recently weighed in at 202. Can't even say that's a fat loss yet, but both numbers were consistent over a few days.
It's a start! I'm only down a few myself, but I'm happy with the habits I've put in place..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk