Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
not nary a macro out there thats as offensive as this thread.

These hot takes are sucking my will to live!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM

I'm surprised their stock took such a big hit. I guess so much for 'There is no such thing as bad publicity.' Of course maybe now's the time to buy some back.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

I don't own a Peloton, nor have I ever done any of their classes. My opinion on this matter is invalid.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
What about an ad by Moots? Or an ad featuring a fit rider on any other high end custom bike? Are they responsible for bridging the gap in the class divide?
Look at you putting two and two together.

Yes, cycling is every bit as classist and elitist. Every 5 o clock shadowed white dude on a 12k high zoot carbon bike in an ad sends a strong implicit message of who this is for and, by extension, who it's not for.

Are they responsible for bridging the class divide? No. But its a worthwhile question what high end bike manufacturers are doing to be more inclusive and bring in more people across the economic spectrum. We want all people on bikes right?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:53 PM

This thread really got derailleured
Old 12-06-2019, 01:56 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
This thread really got derailleured
post of the day
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
That equals four. (Just so we are all on the same page)
Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure how we got to this point in our society that an obscure ad for an obscure niche product is so offensive. Was there subliminal messaging that I missed ? I know a lot of females who, do not like to ride a bike alone, feel intimidated riding with men, and even working out around other people. So the alternative is a home fitness machine that could work for a certain demographic.

We have been a target of advertising for everything we buy like it or not...ignore the white noise and we'll be a whole lot happier in life.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, cycling is every bit as classist and elitist. Every 5 o clock shadowed white dude on a 12k high zoot carbon bike in an ad sends a strong implicit message of who this is for and, by extension, who it's not for.

Are they responsible for bridging the class divide? No. But its a worthwhile question what high end bike manufacturers are doing to be more inclusive and bring in more people across the economic spectrum. We want all people on bikes right?
do you generally support high end bike manufacturers that are working to bridge the class divide?
Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Peloton has identified a market that is willing to pay a certain price for their bikes. Their ads target that market. Seems perfectly rationale to me. The same with custom frame builders.

That being said, if I ever see you on your high zoot carbon Gaulzetti, I will not think you're elitist or classist. Unless you grow a hipster mustache. That really gnaws at me...

Last edited by XXtwindad; 12-07-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Now you can wear Rapha's indoor training line while riding your Peloton.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/indoor...ndoor-training
Old 12-06-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
do you generally support high end bike manufacturers that are working to bridge the class divide?
Of late, yeah. Wider tent benefits all of us.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Peleton has identified a market that is willing to pay a certain price for their bikes. Their ads target that market. Seems perfectly rationale to me. The same with custom frame builders.

That being said, if I ever see you on your high zoot carbon Gaulzetti, I will not think you're elitist or classist. Unless you grow a hipster mustache. That really gnaws at me...
Feel free. The guillotines came for the well to do in France for a reason.

If we more openly talked about class in the country rather than pretending we're all just middle class with a stroke of luck away from being Scrooge McDuck, then we might have more honest conversations about these kinds of issues.

I'm well off enough to afford an expensive ass carbon Gaulzetti. I also realize our hobby in particular and society as a whole is not functioning well when people in my demographic are the only ones the industry is going after.

Pelotons a symptom. The disease is a helluva lot deeper.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
not nary a macro out there thats as offensive as this thread.
see here's the thing Goth:

Plenty of people are contributing to this thread with thoughtful opinions, context and perspective.

entering the thread and posting nothing buy stupid, offensive images about how the thread sucks are not helpful.

if you've got something to say, by all means, let us hear it in an adult, articulate manner, otherwise, don't bother posting worthless content here.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Meh, no different than the luxury car ads. Or even better, the GM ad where the husband or wife buys the other one a $60K vehicle for Christmas. Were those ads offensive to anyone?
Closed Thread