Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Administrator

This ad and the responses it evokes reminds me of the TAT...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-IO3eQ-0sI

As commented on already, a lot of the responses seem to be made with a tie to what one brings to the table.

W.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A very interesting question with a complex answer. I'll try to be as brief and concise as possible.

If I saw you (Nick) at a gym I would assume you're probably an athlete. Most likely a runner or a cyclist. But the subject and men and weight is not burdened with misogynist history. I had a female client who once told me that going to the gym "is like being in a war." For her (and assumedly other women) the constant "measuring up" was soul sucking. A fruitless and never ending battle.

The fitness industry is a real mess. It peddles false archetypes and snake oil remedies. To Jim's (echappist) point, none of my clients are the archetypal Peleton crowd. I don't find training that type of client (the "I just want to lose five pounds" crowd) very productive on many levels.

But my target audience is different than Peleton's. That, seemingly is their target market. Are they responsible for rectifying a false archetype? I don't think so.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Your perspective is different than mine, and we learn from listening to perspectives that differ from ours.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Peloton does not need to apologize for anything.
Never bend a knee to the crazed rage mob. Ever.
Yup. People need to get a life and worry about themselves/family and stop neurosing over the universe that does not involve them. If they don't want a Peloton or can't afford one - relax and let it go. Life is too short.

Physically the ad targets two key customer types - a fit/active woman who is motivated to exercise and/or a less fit woman who aspires to same. No reason the ad can't engage the interest of a male as well. Way too much idle time on people's hands to make this a national issue.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:08 PM

Old 12-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Randomhead

All I ever saw was people making fun of the ad, and then I saw a batch of articles about how people were outraged by the ad. Which seemed like twisting the real response people had to the ad. Since that started happening, I have definitely seen a lot of outrage over the fact that people were purported to be outraged. There definitely is an outrage culture in that sense, people outraged that other people might be offended by something.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
That's pretty damn funny.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Coffee just shot out my nose! Before you know it "The Peloton" will have killed Kenny.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Is the commercial picking at those scabs or actually buying the bike itself? That's an awfully big burden to lay at the feet of a home exercise equipment company.
The commercial is selling the product.

Sorry it's a big burden, but that's at the feet of every wellness company that markets exclusively to the affluent.

The subtle message in everyone of these ads is only the people who can afford these products deserve the ability to be healthy.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

Sorry it's a big burden, but that's at the feet of every wellness company that markets exclusively to the affluent.

The subtle message in everyone of these ads is only the people who can afford these products deserve the ability to be healthy.
What about an ad by Moots? Or an ad featuring a fit rider on any other high end custom bike? Are they responsible for bridging the gap in the class divide?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

No, every company has a target niche in the economic spectrum. Just because a company targets more affluent buyers (cyclists included) doesn't mean they are telling people who can't afford their products to get stuffed.

W.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Administrator

you know who Peloton needs in the Marketing Department?

Stallone and Chuck Norris.

That's who.

The internet would literally explode.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
This was linked on Gothamist yesterday: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...and-speaks-out.

This is still one of the funniest things I've seen on Twitter: https://twitter.com/clueheywood/stat...99762331217920.
Absolutely HILARIOUS!! And Peloton is loving it...but they won't admit to it.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
This.
Peleton can only aspire to be this puerile....
Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 PM

The ad is clearly offensive. The writing is bad. The acting is bad. The camera work is bad. The first bit where she's nervous & later when the instructor says her name (reminded me of watching Romper Room, when the "teacher" looks through the mirror and call out random names & yours MIGHT be one of them), cringe.
The rest is pure conjecture on what was meant. Hubby thought she was fat? Didn't see that. She did? Didn't see that. Maybe she asked for it? Maybe. Time pressed & this allowed her to get the workout she wanted in? Again, maybe.
Some of the comments here are more troubling than the ad. "Anger mob"? Really?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Ive seen this ad 1000 times and never thought to be offended - Guess I was busy living my life.....SMH
Closed Thread