Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 05:51 PM

Issues with Seller

Guy across the pond has a frameset that I’m highly interested in. I tried to ask questions about the frameset like measurements, history of use, etc. He got frustrated with the questions and deleted the post.

A few weeks later he reposted and I sent him messages that I’m interested. He said he’s willing to pay half the shipping costs if I pay his asking price. 12 hours later he says “I’ll take it as a no” and then I asked what the total would be. I explained that I’ve made a deposit and should have the full amount on December 1st(payday). He thought that was weird and it looks like he blocked me.

Is it weird to message someone about an item before having the money to buy it? From my experience sellers have been pretty patient/flexible. The frameset he’s selling is about $1,000 not including shipping and while I want the frameset I’m trying to be financially responsible.

This is so frustrating. It’s a material I want(ti), in my size but the biggest obstacle between me and the frameset is the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 06:06 PM

No money no bikey.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:07 PM

What site are you looking at?
Old 11-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Smile

Sometimes things are not meant to be. Let it roll like water off a duck.
You will find a new frame to buy. He will sell his likely to someone local.
v a n i l l a

there's no rules to how a transaction should occur. if buyer and seller do not align, no deal happens.

IMHO opinion having half the money is the same as having no money since nothing happens without all the money.

revisit it again with the buyer when you are able to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
What site are you looking at?
Facebook group
Old 11-25-2020, 06:11 PM

Another factor of the equation is that while he offered to pay half the shipping he didn't say how much the shipping cost would be.

I’ll see if I can contact him again in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
there's no rules to how a transaction should occur. if buyer and seller do not align, no deal happens.

IMHO opinion having half the money is the same as having no money since nothing happens without all the money.

revisit it again with the buyer when you are able to buy.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
No money no bikey.

I’m not expecting him to ship the bike without me paying. I’m letting him know when I’ll be able to pay his full asking price for the bike.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:14 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
Another factor of the equation is that while he offered to pay half the shipping he didn't say how much the shipping cost would be. I’ll see if I can contact him again in December.
I think that's a good plan. I've had plenty of interactions where the other party is not responding to some simple direct questions. not everyone behaves the same although one would think its simple. but the moment you say I can't pay you until xy date...my immediate reaction is that's not my problem. come back to me when you are ready to buy
Old 11-25-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I’m not expecting him to ship the bike without me paying. I’m letting him know when I’ll be able to pay his full asking price for the bike.
That's fair I guess I just think it's odd to contact a seller on Facebook about a used bike if you don't have the loot.

But you did anyway because who knows....maybe it could work out. But if you ask how much shipping is you need to be ready to buy it IMO

No harm.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 PM

Just my opinion but seller seems like a pain to deal with. Didn’t answer your original question, got rude pretty quick without provocation. I don’t see any issue with being interested in a frame that you would have funds available to purchase in the coming weeks. If I was seller I would have told you an estimate of shipping cost and then listened to your proposed timeline for making payment. If not agreeable, or if I had another buyer lined up, I’d say so. He barely gave you a chance to propose a timeline before the rude replies started. In my opinion not worth the trouble and potential risk of further aggravation.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
the moment you say I can't pay you until xy date...my immediate reaction is that's not my problem. come back to me when you are ready to buy
Agree on this. No offense to the OP and I hope you get the frame if it's that great.
I am pretty patient just had WAY too many potential buyers ask about what I am selling, detailed questions, back and forth e mails, etc then I ask buyer if he wants to see the item. Ummmm, maybe next month when I get paid. That usually means, "I would like to own your bike but I can't afford to buy it".
Old 11-25-2020, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The frameset he’s selling is about $1,000 not including shipping and while I want the frameset I’m trying to be financially responsible.
just giving my honest feedback:

you are a total trainwreck of a buyer. i would NEVER do business with you.

if you dont have the money today, immediately available - i dont want to hear from you.

you dont go to the home depot and tell them how much you like their 2x4 but cant buy it until you get paid next decade either.

this is why i hate selling stuff. what a mess.

in other words, as i see it: the issue is not with the seller, it's 100% with you.

again, sorry for being blunt, just offering my perspective.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 PM

It’s a matter of 5 days. It’ll be hear in the blink of an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
Agree on this. No offense to the OP and I hope you get the frame if it's that great.
I am pretty patient just had WAY too many potential buyers ask about what I am selling, detailed questions, back and forth e mails, etc then I ask buyer if he wants to see the item. Ummmm, maybe next month when I get paid. That usually means, "I would like to own your bike but I can't afford to buy it".
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just giving my honest feedback:

you are a total trainwreck of a buyer. i would NEVER do business with you.

if you dont have the money today, immediately available - i dont want to hear from you.

you dont go to the home depot and tell them how much you like their 2x4 but cant buy it until you get paid next decade either.

this is why i hate selling stuff. what a mess.

in other words, as i see it: the issue is not with the seller, it's 100% with you.

again, sorry for being blunt, just offering my perspective.

I’m a trainwreck of a buyer. The world is in the middle of a pandemic, businesses going under and people losing jobs. But I’m a trainwreck.
Closed Thread