Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Sidi Ergo 5 sizing

Looking to try my first pair of Sidi and thinking to get the Ergo 5 model. Have read various posts on Sidi sizing and it seems all over the place. Some people size up 0.5-1 (recommended by quite a few shops) while others take the same size or even size down 0.5. And then there is old vs. new Sidi sizing, which I have yet to find out when that happened.

I'm hoping users of Ergo 5 can chime in here with their experiences, esp. if you also have Giro Empire ACC or Empire SLX (last gen, not the latest ones). I wear 43 for those two with comfortable room at the toe box, and once tried on a 42.5 and it felt OK too. For running shoes, I wear US 9.5 or 10 depending on models.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:15 PM

Assuming you are in the US, you have lots of mail order options that have easy returns. Order a couple of sizes and keep the one that works?

But yeah, compared to Shimano and Giro, I would think you'd want to go at least half a size up...
Old 02-14-2020, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Looking to try my first pair of Sidi and thinking to get the Ergo 5 model. Have read various posts on Sidi sizing and it seems all over the place. Some people size up 0.5-1 (recommended by quite a few shops) while others take the same size or even size down 0.5. And then there is old vs. new Sidi sizing, which I have yet to find out when that happened.

I'm hoping users of Ergo 5 can chime in here with their experiences, esp. if you also have Giro Empire ACC or Empire SLX (last gen, not the latest ones). I wear 43 for those two with comfortable room at the toe box, and once tried on a 42.5 and it felt OK too. For running shoes, I wear US 9.5 or 10 depending on models.
Since the 'sizing' of shoes, any shoes, are not really standard and they all use different 'lasts', no real way to answer this except from somebody who had the same setup as you.

I used Northwave and Vittoria, 44.5..and when going to Sidi Genius 5, wore and wear a 45...BUT, as mentioned, if you can't try them on..order 2 sizes and return one..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-14-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 AM

I've worn various Sidi models for the past 30 years. I would no longer classify any of their models as narrow. Actually the newer models are fairly high volume. Based on your shoe size, I'd try a 43.5 as a starting point.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:59 AM

I wouldn't buy an Ergo 5, the sole appears to have been downgraded compared to the earlier models. For the price, I imagine you'd get a great pair of Shimano shoes with a full carbon sole.

I'd go for a second hand pair of Sidis;the Wires are really good. They have more volume than earlier Sidis so no need to size up IMO.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:34 AM

I wear 9.5 running shoes from Brooks and Asics, most other shoes too, not just running. I wear 43.5 mega in Sidi, although I can wear a 43.5, just tends to be tight when my feet swell late in a ride.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post

I regularly ride Sidi Genius 5 (I believe it's pretty much the same shoe/same last as the Ergo 5 with velcro instead of boa across the mid-foot) and sometimes the Giro Empire ACC when the mood strikes. 41.5 size in both. The Sidis are more comfortable to my feet that are a bit shovel-shaped, narrow heel, fairly high arch and medium/D-width across the instep. They have a little space up front, and a little more snug in the heel- pretty much perfect fit for me. Part of the reason I like Sidis is that they come in half sizes, because I'm nearly always in pain in 41s and swimming in 42s.

The Giros are OK, but less perfect- they feel tighter across the instep and looser in the heel. However, this is a little apples and oranges comparison though because they're laced- I think if I were to fiddle more with lacing I could get a better fit but for normal rides of less than 3 hrs I just try to keep the laces looser closer to the toes. I honestly don't see the attraction of laced shoes anymore, I thought we moved on- I like buckles and velcro just fine, but still a retrogrouch when it comes to the boa closures for no good reason.

I have bought sooo many (toooo many) shoes in the past, trying different brands and being a sucker for closeouts and sales. I would have saved money just sticking with a couple pair of Sidis at full retail. They last forever and they consistently fit me better than anything I've ever tried.

Last edited by zennmotion; 02-15-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 AM
Vendor

Cycling shoes are such an important part of the bike fit, ride comfort and performance it's worth investing some time and money to get it correct. Shoes are where you should be generous with your cycling budget. Most important - Make sure they fit properly. Find a retailer that will measure your feet (both of them) and have a decent selection for you to try on. It's the last (shape) of the shoe that's primary. They can always order another model or color with the same last. We carry Sidi, Lake and Fizik because all three make great shoes but most likely one of them has the best shoe for you. Good luck