Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
If you ever need to carry more than the 1Up rack holds, you can just get the Thule Sidearm XT, or Big Mouth XT carriers as they will mount direct to the factory bars. I swap a Sidearm between our highlander and 02 outback factory bars when needed, but primarily use a 2 bike hitch rack... I would like to get a 3-4 bike rack to replace it though.

On the 01-04 Outbacks, mainly just gotta watch for the head gasket issues around 100k. I had mine done about 15k ago and it will be between $1-2k depending on what else is done at the time (do replace idlers, H2O pump, and hydraulic tensioner as insurance if it gets done). The factory gaskets were apparently junk and the dealers aren't allowed to put on any other gaskets but oem. The window seals by the mirrors can also get noisy but that is an easy fix. I'm satisfied with mine as far as durability and maintenance, it averages about 22-24mpg. It has been reliable but I'm looking to replace it with a truck for cargo space. My previous 98' got totalled but everyone walked away, so was happy with that aspect too.

Cool, heard about the head gasket issues. Most likely going to get one with about 160k on it with all the work done. (Head gasket, water pump, timing belt etc). I only average about 10k a year so it should keep me going for a while. Leaning towards the manual of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 05:50 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
On a related note I'm looking to purchase a 2001-2004 outback, anything I need to know?

Head Gasket. Pretty common issue when Subaru discontinued using asbestos. I replaced my at 115K when I started to notice that "plastic" burning smell. I could have run it for a while, but decided to take early action.

And the alternator died after 13 years this past summer (what a flipping nancy!). Other than that & regular maintenance, it has been a beast.

***One final note (and this applies in warmer climates; not sure elsewhere). Your "Check Engine Light" MAY come on as you approach empty in your gas tank (it is sporadic). It is a Gas Tank vacuum seal/O2 sensor issue -- NOT an engine problem. Fill the gas tank up & after about 5 times you start the car it will reset & the engine light will turn off (or you can go Advanced Auto or Pep Boys, etc. & have them clear it for free). It is an annoyance, nothing serious. I have been told you can also put cleaner additive in the gas tank -- I just avoid going on Empty in the summer.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
This is the one reason I do not own an Outback. The roof rails. Subaru owner since 93, two Outbacks and two Foresters, presently a Forester. That rack system just mystifies me. Why? Thousands of loyal hippie granola biker/skier/kayaker/surfer Former Outback owners have been complaining ever since they made that change in, 10, about, I think, and they still insist on putting that thing on that car. Great car, loyal following, stupid rack, and it's the only car in their lineup that has it. It will not accomadate a good size
Thule or Yakima ski box and a bike rack on the side, because it's way too narrow, and, sorry, No way I'm attaching my Thule box to that thing with four pair of skis inside. I don't care what they rate it, I don't trust it. I've seen boxes slowly jitterring on that thing as I pass on the highway. I would be really sad if mine was suddenly in my rear view mirror at 70mph. Why not just put a few solid rails up there? Trust me, I'll take care of the rest, been there, done it, trust that. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Thread hijack. My girlfriend just bought a Honda HRV. Nice package. I may be switching over to that brand. Nice rack, too.
Magic seats are amazing. HRV would be an excellent alternative. Although, I think it compares more to the Forester, which don't have those "dumb" racks.

I'm actually looking into replacing the whole thing with something custom. Sounds like it's a pain in the neck, though, as the headliners have to come out to take off the OEM rack. Hope it'll be worth it.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Magic seats are amazing. HRV would be an excellent alternative. Although, I think it compares more to the Forester, which don't have those "dumb" racks.

I'm actually looking into replacing the whole thing with something custom. Sounds like it's a pain in the neck, though, as the headliners have to come out to take off the OEM rack. Hope it'll be worth it.

Check out the Rhino Rack ditch mount tracks. If you remove the OEM rail thing you can mount the track into the ditch under the weather stripping with rivets. Only seen it done once, but it's super common on Tacomas and Tundras. Key is to use a ton of sealant when riveting in the track. From there you can build up your rack setup as you please with any Yakima, Thule or Rhino towers as they'll all bolt into the track plates.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 AM

Was doing a little reading and apparently people just use the stowed crossbars as side rails and build the thule rack off of that platform. saw it today on my way to work and sought out some more information.

so, could certainly be a backup for occasional 3/4 bike hauling, but think I'll still go hitch to keep em out of the way and easy.. plus no more wheels in the car, lol.

also fell in love with the look of xv crosstrek rims on this thing... maybe just one mod...
Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM

There are a bunch of options to beef up the Subaru rack system. Also keep in mind there are several version of the system. None of them are any wider but the later models of cars (2013+ IIRC) have the ability to move the rear bar further to the back for carrying longer items like cargo boxes and boats.

I am honestly not sure why the stock racks are ever going to be a problem unless you're using it as a team car or something and carrying a ton of bikes. The stock setup is plenty wide for 3 bikes, maybe 4 for road bikes. Maybe you'd have to get clever if you want to throw 4 MTBs with 700mm+ wide bars and have the bikes staggered in terms of front/rear facing.

If you're carrying boats or cargo boxes and other stuff that's different, although AFAICT those Thule cargo boxes mostly get used to look rugged on the way to Starbucks. 99% of the time when I see SUVs with those things they are on an empty vehicle. If i had one it'd never go on the car unless the whole car was packed full.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Was doing a little reading and apparently people just use the stowed crossbars as side rails and build the thule rack off of that platform. saw it today on my way to work and sought out some more information.

so, could certainly be a backup for occasional 3/4 bike hauling, but think I'll still go hitch to keep em out of the way and easy.. plus no more wheels in the car, lol.

also fell in love with the look of xv crosstrek rims on this thing... maybe just one mod...

That does work on some years, I know the '09s at least. The issue with the newer ones is the spread on the stowed side rails can be super short and not practical for hauling anything.

The Thule Fit Kit or Yakima landing pad option allows for longer bars and a higher weight capacity even if it is a little high-rise.

Photos:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...d-_dsc0074.jpg

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...k-img_6901.jpg

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
That does work on some years, I know the '09s at least. The issue with the newer ones is the spread on the stowed side rails can be super short and not practical for hauling anything.

The Thule Fit Kit or Yakima landing pad option allows for longer bars and a higher weight capacity even if it is a little high-rise.

Photos:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...d-_dsc0074.jpg

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...k-img_6901.jpg

Somehow I was not able to find those options when I looked, but that's totally what I was thinking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
There are a bunch of options to beef up the Subaru rack system. Also keep in mind there are several version of the system. None of them are any wider but the later models of cars (2013+ IIRC) have the ability to move the rear bar further to the back for carrying longer items like cargo boxes and boats.

I am honestly not sure why the stock racks are ever going to be a problem unless you're using it as a team car or something and carrying a ton of bikes. The stock setup is plenty wide for 3 bikes, maybe 4 for road bikes. Maybe you'd have to get clever if you want to throw 4 MTBs with 700mm+ wide bars and have the bikes staggered in terms of front/rear facing.

If you're carrying boats or cargo boxes and other stuff that's different, although AFAICT those Thule cargo boxes mostly get used to look rugged on the way to Starbucks. 99% of the time when I see SUVs with those things they are on an empty vehicle. If i had one it'd never go on the car unless the whole car was packed full.
I'm sure it'd be fine -- but in the interest of saving money, I've already got my setup from my Passat so it would be nice to just use it as necessary.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:40 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Cargo boxes are the best way to carry skis and/or boards, hands down. Mine is basically ski storage all winter for four pair (yes, I actually use all four, according to conditions and mood). Put them up in there, outa sight, outa mind, never have to transfer them anywhere else until Springtime, when the box comes off, anyway. Very secure. Have never heard of one getting broken into. It would be difficult and quite messy and noisy, but, it is possible. Very rare, though. Get back to me if you've heard of a theft. A downside is that the edges rust a tad if the skis aren't used for a while, but, that's no whoop. Another downside, which is a big one in my book, is that I can't get into most parking garages due to height restrictions, and this is a Forester I'm talking about. Most car washes, too. Small SUV manufacturers have been slowly bloating their designs vertically for years now, I guess to appeal to the market that wants to imagine they aren't driving a car with clearance, as Subarus used to be, but a big bad SUV, for whatever reason. My 2001 Forester fit easily into parking garages with the same box I use today, the 2010 doesn't, and the newer Foresters are even taller. Same with the Outback. Stop it guys, I'm 6ft tall, and maxed out getting the bike up there already. Another reason not to consider those Frankenstein Thule mods for the Outback - puts the bike way out of reach up there, adding almost a foot.

So, anyway, if you see an empty car with a box, consider the storage issue, and, also, it's much better to put snowy, wet skis and boards up in that box than inside the car. Cleaner, and prevents internal condensation. Try scraping ice off the inside of your windows to see what I mean.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:59 PM

2017 crossbars are curved??

someone said the Subaru Outback for 2017 built-in rooftop crossbars are elliptical. Bicycle trays will tilt to one side. Does anyone out there know if this is true? I have the nice Thule trays that work on aero bars, do you know if they are compatible and safe/keep the bikes upright? seeing conflicting opinions. thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemull View Post
someone said the Subaru Outback for 2017 built-in rooftop crossbars are elliptical. Bicycle trays will tilt to one side. Does anyone out there know if this is true? I have the nice Thule trays that work on aero bars, do you know if they are compatible and safe/keep the bikes upright? seeing conflicting opinions. thanks
The bars have a slight bow to them, think of an 18 wheeler flat bed trailer that’s unloaded. Designed to flatten out under load. I’ve mounted bike trays, Thule Circuit, with no problem, slight lean but no big deal.

Thule cross bars will not work.

Yakima core bars new are $165 pr. The landing pads mentioned in this thread for $15 is a smokin deal, normally around $120, then a set of towers for around $220.

I have this set up on my Subaru. I use it only when hauling kayaks. Goes on and off in 15 minutes max. I usually keep my stock roof rack system as it’s cleaner when folded, less wind noise and better gas mileage

To me my Subaru is strictly an utilitarian vehicle. How it looks it’s not all that important to me, particularly the nuances of how a roof rack looks. It’s a roof rack after all.

But I get that a lot of people are very picky of how their car looks. Why else would we have Lowrider pick up trucks? Car culture in America
Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 AM

It’s really a shame the 2020 outback touring didn’t come with the subdued rails like the previous generation. The bulbous plastic fairings make them look cheap and unattractive. I guess I’ll have to keep my A4 Avant another year until
I can afford a used V90 XC...
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Well, since these older threads have popped up I'll jump in on one of them This summer picked up a 2019 Outback to replace my 2015 this summer at a great deal with the 2020s coming out. Here are some ideas from the Outback forums on relatively simple mods to work with Yakima crossbars.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...8#post-4611761

https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...ssbars.174042/

Last edited by teleguy57; 12-06-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: crossbars, not rails....
Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
The bars have a slight bow to them, think of an 18 wheeler flat bed trailer that’s unloaded. Designed to flatten out under load. I’ve mounted bike trays, Thule Circuit, with no problem, slight lean but no big deal....
No problems mounting bike trays, racks, or baskets. Going down dirt road or rough asphalt, you will see and maybe feel it bouncing up there. No a big deal, as I don't see it rattling off given you've got it secured down properly, but watching it bounce can be unnerving at first.

But personally, I'd rather have proper Yak or Thule crossbars up there.