Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Good luck and let us know how it comes out...…...
Thanks, I will. My Dr and I discussed the options, pros and cons, and surgery seems to make the most sense.

His technique involves embedding the cut nerve into adjacent muscle to prevent scar tissue from reforming. He claims it's 100% effective. Otherwise we keep chasing it with injections which, to me, is not an effective course of action due to fat pad loss.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:31 AM

Day one, post op. Nerve block is in high gear still.

The Dr said the neuroma he removed was, "huge." And this is from a guy who has removed them each week for decades.

Last edited by Hellgate; 02-14-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:50 PM

Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 PM

My foot fits in my cleats, Sidis and Lakes. Mellow flat ride tomorrow. 20 miles? Maybe.

I'm off crutches at the house. On them at work only as a warning signal to others if that makes sense?

My foot looks like two pieces of beef jerky sewn together. Photo if you like...ick.

Oh, and cryo is a godsend, better than any drug.

I took a total of 6 Oxy to taper off the nerve block. No dope since last Friday night. "Can of corn."

I'm still doing two, 2 cryo sessions a day to promote healing.

The third and fourth toes are dead numb, however, I can move them with no issues. After a few weeks I assume I won't notice. It beats the hell out of stepping on a Lego with each strike of the foot!

Last edited by Hellgate; 02-14-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
My foot fits in my cleats, Sidis and Lakes. Mellow flat ride tomorrow. 20 miles? Maybe.

I'm off crutches at the house. On them at work only as a warning signal to others if that makes sense?

My foot looks like two pieces of beef jerky sewn together. Photo if you like...ick.

Oh, and cryo is a godsend, better than any drug.

I took a total of 6 Oxy to taper off the nerve block. No dope since last Friday night. "Can of corn."

I'm still doing two, 2 cryo sessions a day to promote healing.

The third and fourth toes are dead numb, however, I can move them with no issues. After a few weeks I assume I won't notice. It beats the hell out of stepping on a Lego with each strike of the foot!
Good for you!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 AM

Glad to hear you are healing well and out of pain!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:59 PM

Congrats!

Can you expand on the cryo therapy treatment? What's it like?

Quote:

The Dr said the neuroma he removed was, "huge." And this is from a guy who has removed them each week for decades.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Congrats!

Can you expand on the cryo therapy treatment? What's it like?
Sure, cyro is cold water treatment. The device is a cooler with a fish tank pump that flows chilled water through a pad. The pad is wrapped around the area to treat. It's left on for 2 hours, then off for an hour.

I've used it for this injury, an ACL repair, and a shoulder reconstruction. It kills pain and reduces inflammation better than any drugs.

During my ACL recovery, at 2AM, I counted the number of Oxy or Norco pills I'd taken over the past 24 hours. The count was 17! (I'd had 5 holes drilled in bone and pain was unreal) I had my wife rent a cryo unit the next morning at 8AM. Within 5 minutes of application the pain was gone.

This particular unit is the collective property of my cul-de-sac. It has been used by 5 different people! Primarily 4 women recovering from bunion surgery.

I can't recommend one enough.

Tonight's treatment.

Last edited by Hellgate; 02-15-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:44 PM

Thanks a ton for that info and good luck on your full recovery.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:16 PM

I had surgery 25 years ago. Nerve that was removed was like a piece of spaghetti on each end and about the size of my thumb in the middle. Numbness isn't a problem. I wore combat boots and cycling shoes for years before the surgery. Not wearing combat boots wasn't an option, thus the surgery. I had used metatarsal pads for a few years before that. Best advice for just cycling is to loosen your shoes at the first sign of the "fire foot".
Old 02-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Rode 20 today, 10 days post surgery. Zero pain at all. Stood up and sprinted up to 28, powered up hills, felt great! Tomorrow will be another 20. From what I've read, people are running 3 to 4 weeks post surgery.

Interestingly, the best my foot has felt, post surgery, is in my Lake 241's. Instead of the flat Velcro shoe, a proper, positioned shoe with a rocker sole would work better.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 PM

63 year old lifelong cyclist/runner here, and have had Morton’s excision surgery on both feet at different times. Right foot was done in ‘95 after injections, orthotics, icing, etc. Finally got to the point where I couldn’t walk for more than about 50 minutes or run about 1.5 miles before feeling like my foot was on fire. Was active duty army, so had to get it fixed. Doc pulled out a 2 cm bundle and asked whether I had any symptoms in my right foot. When I told him I didn’t, he replied “don’t be surprised if you do in the future”.

Sure enough, in 2014 had to get the right foot done after developing similar issues. Different Doc pulled out a 2.5 cm bundle – said it was one of the biggest he’d seen. Was on bike trainer in about a week and running/snowboarding in a month, but had intermittent foot swelling (treated with icing) which I didn’t have after first surgery. Back to cycling about 4000+ miles and trail running about 400 miles annually with no pain in either foot. In my experience, stiff, wide carbon soled cycling shoes (like Lake CX237 wide) and running shoes with enough forefoot volume to spread toes are key.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:06 PM

Rode 45 yesterday. Foot felt "ok." Rest and ice was needed at the end of the ride.

The doctor says I have another 2 to 3 months to go. The current healing is very deep in the foot. Overall, very good recovery. The two numb toes are odd at best. That said, I'm still glad I did this as my 6 YO and I played tag today. The first time in 4 years.

Big difference, huh? Week 1 vs week 6.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:41 PM

In Jan 2019 I bought a new set of Northwave shoes

Maybe more narrow than usual but I never had a problem with narrow before.

Fast forward to Sept 2019 & I realize I have a major metatarsal problem in right foot

Whether or not it became morton's I don't know but I do know switching to wider shoes & this video made a BIG difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UmS...ature=emb_logo
Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Surgery

Quote:

I like the 100% effective part. Is this a technique known by other doctors? I had alcohol injections and they actually helped a great deal. I’m now experiencing neuropathy, which is not a good thing, but my neuroma hurts much less now! Choose your poison???
Hiking gives me more issues than cycling. I’ve had to stop and soak my feet in a cold stream in order to get back to the car. Very painful experience.