Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Color match painted stems/seatposts

I’m about to purchase a new Ritte Phantom and plan to do some sort of color matching paint on the stem and seatpost (possibly top of bars also). I’m leaning toward carrying the light blue on the seat tube up the post and some combination of silver on the stem with the light blue and/or navy blue band that’s on the frameset.

Photo below of a built bike for color layout and reference. I'm looking for suggestions of color transitions and/or ideas on color layout mostly on the stem that possibly carry onto the bar tops although I'd also be good with sticking to a plain black bar and tape. My build will most likely be Enve cockpit/post with ghosted graphics.

Before anyone chimes in on the bike itself, yes I know Ritte is not a legendary builder with amazing rep and that I could go all out custom elsewhere with a higher end frame material. That being said I am totally open to suggestions on what to do with paint on these parts and appreciate your input. Thanks!

(Mods please move if this is the wrong place for this post)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 10:50 AM
Administrator

since the bike is a mix of black/blue, i think it might look pretty badass to put a stripe on the back of the seatpost and stem in matching color. something like this, but just the stripe.

just a thought!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
since the bike is a mix of black/blue, i think it might look pretty badass to put a stripe on the back of the seatpost and stem in matching color. something like this, but just the stripe.

just a thought!

Thanks for the suggestion, I will take that into consideration. I was initially leaning toward doing a similar color transition (silver/navy/light blue) from end to end of this components but that layout is what amounts to wearing a horizontal striped sweater and may make the stem/post look "stubby". With what you suggest it would probably make the components look more elongated which I like!

Incidentally I will be riding a size medium which is around a ~54-55cm frameset (554mm top tube) with slight compact geometry. Proportionally my fit will have a similar amount of exposed seatpost to the setup in the photo I posted but a slightly longer stem at 110mm or more likely 120mm, I think the one in the photo is only 100mm.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'd echo the light blue on the seatpost, then stay silver on the stem/bars

My $.02

M
Old 01-25-2020, 01:12 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by onitsuka_luv View Post
I’m about to purchase a new Ritte Phantom and plan to do some sort of color matching paint on the stem and seatpost (possibly top of bars also). I’m leaning toward carrying the light blue on the seat tube up the post and some combination of silver on the stem with the light blue and/or navy blue band that’s on the frameset.

Photo below of a built bike for color layout and reference. I'm looking for suggestions of color transitions and/or ideas on color layout mostly on the stem that possibly carry onto the bar tops although I'd also be good with sticking to a plain black bar and tape. My build will most likely be Enve cockpit/post with ghosted graphics.

Before anyone chimes in on the bike itself, yes I know Ritte is not a legendary builder with amazing rep and that I could go all out custom elsewhere with a higher end frame material. That being said I am totally open to suggestions on what to do with paint on these parts and appreciate your input. Thanks!

(Mods please move if this is the wrong place for this post)

Back in the weightweenie days, a friend built a beautiful Spin Intro in black/blue/white and wanted the stem in matching blue. The painter had a hell of a time getting the paint to stick and it lasted for a few weeks...