Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tculbreath View Post
Accidents happen. I know it will be pricey to fix, but want to at least look into it. I am tired of the frame just hanging in my garage.

Appreciate the responses.

Thank you,
TC
absolutely. repairing an old friend is always a good option IMO.

look over this thread for inspiration for keeping oldies but goodies on the road:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=243383
Old 01-24-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tculbreath View Post
Regarding the owner paying, I did pursue this. My lawyer was not very motivated, and the owner was reluctant. In the end I just didn't have time/energy to fight it. My own homeowners would not cover it. Sad loss considering another $600+ in helmet/shoes/kit etc. Accidents happen. I know it will be pricey to fix, but want to at least look into it. I am tired of the frame just hanging in my garage.

Appreciate the responses.

Thank you,
TC
No attorney is motivated by a $600 case. No upside for him, you'll spend more on him than you'll recover and end up unhappy.

Dog laws vary widely. New York is particularly bad, researched a case for a seriously injured industry pro, and found basically that in NY the owner of roaming dogs are more or less immune. Cattle too.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
So hiring a lawyer and being successful on this kind of claim given that there is no Police report... long shot.
I forgot to check my crystal ball, but no where is police report mentioned except from you (and me repeating it). I'm merely saying that's how it would be done, not giving any indication of success rate. A $600 frame, was not $600 when new. Probably not terribly much in it for a lawyer, but sometimes all it takes is them writing a letter stating settlement being sought (in this case $600 of depreciated value) vs. damages (new bike no doubt in the $1-2k range for a comparable steel frame) + attorney fees sought. Naturally the owner of the dog wouldn't be motivated to pay for damages, although they may find some motivation given the choices between options. Whether its worth it, the OP deemed it wasn't, is ultimately up to those involved... not necessarily the internet peanut gallery. I'm not a lawyer, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once a few years ago.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Randomhead

Sorry you had that experience, and it turned out the dog owner never compensated you.

I thought you were closer, I was going to offer to look at it for you
Old 01-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Oscar at Simple built most of the Ceileos, he's in business on his own in Portland. He's the best person to fix it. Wouldn't hurt to drop King an email either.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 PM

Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I forgot to check my crystal ball, but no where is police report mentioned except from you (and me repeating it). I'm merely saying that's how it would be done, not giving any indication of success rate. A $600 frame, was not $600 when new. Probably not terribly much in it for a lawyer, but sometimes all it takes is them writing a letter stating settlement being sought (in this case $600 of depreciated value) vs. damages (new bike no doubt in the $1-2k range for a comparable steel frame) + attorney fees sought. Naturally the owner of the dog wouldn't be motivated to pay for damages, although they may find some motivation given the choices between options. Whether its worth it, the OP deemed it wasn't, is ultimately up to those involved... not necessarily the internet peanut gallery. I'm not a lawyer, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once a few years ago.
Agree no mention of a police report, but since not mentioned in the original post assumed there was none or the “case” would be different. But it was my assumption. My comment is while we live in a society that litigates everything, prevailing in court is not a trivial endeavor. Make “him” pay ain’t how it works.