Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 08:26 PM

Yes but if use that adaptor and a fork with a 1 1/8” steerer isn’t the transition from the wider lower end of the tapered head tube to the fork going to look strange?
Old 01-03-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Yes but if use that adaptor and a fork with a 1 1/8” steerer isn’t the transition from the wider lower end of the tapered head tube to the fork going to look strange?
Yes, it might. The adapter itself would basically be hidden in the lower headset cup, but still that is definitely a danger, depending on what the chosen fork crown itself looks like relative to the tapered headtube bottom. It can indeed look really bad, with lots of odd overhang, much worse even than integrated forks used to look when used on non-integrated/standard headsets.

I think a tapered steerer on a new fork would be the best solution practically and aesthetically, with Dave Wages designing/fabricating it all, since he would be buying a new steerer regardless.

But, were it my bicycle I would just leave well enough alone. I think the existing paint-matched Columbus Futura fork looks quite beautiful as it is, and that a stainless steel bi-plane crown fork/legs would look too contradictory and precious given the frame tube sizes/fillets.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 01-03-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
Why is that?
If the new fork was being built custom, wouldn't the existing head tube accept a new tapered 1.125x1.5 fork steerer tube, like the current Columbus Futura steerer? NOVA sell tapered steerer tubes.

Or this $10 piece, for use with 1.125 straight steerers, which I assume is the same thing in principle that mhespenheide describes:
HOPE HS136 Reducer Crown 1.5" to 1 1/8"

Yeah, exactly!
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Why is that?
If the new fork was being built custom, wouldn't the existing head tube accept a new tapered 1.125x1.5 fork steerer tube, like the current Columbus Futura steerer? NOVA sell tapered steerer tubes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it might. The adapter itself would basically be hidden in the lower headset cup, but still that is definitely a danger, depending on what the chosen fork crown itself looks like relative to the tapered headtube bottom. It can indeed look really bad, with lots of odd overhang, much worse even than integrated forks used to look when used on non-integrated/standard headsets.

I think a tapered steerer on a new fork would be the best solution practically and aesthetically, with Dave Wages designing/fabricating it all, since he would be buying a new steerer regardless.

But, were it my bicycle I would just leave well enough alone. I think the existing paint-matched Columbus Futura fork looks quite beautiful as it is, and that a stainless steel bi-plane crown fork/legs would look too contradictory and precious given the frame tube sizes/fillets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Yeah, exactly!
It was just a fanciful fit of dreaming outside teh box. Of course the Columbus Futura Gravel fork on there now is great and totally works. I was just saying that if I were designing it from scratch, I would have gone with a straight headtube and a polished SS biplane or lugged box-crown, had some dynamo wiring and provisions for a rack, etc. The tapered headtube looks perfect with the fork on there now, but no way would I put a steel fork on there with a tapered headtube.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:22 AM

My favorites are

Road is pinoys Max Bishop

Gravel is Cleans Ellis

Mountain is Joost Bingham built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk