Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Glory bound

A number of the places named in this thread are college towns, which New York state has in abundance. College towns are often cited as good places to retire: diversity, range of cultural offerings, higher level of public support for institutions (educational, sure, but also medical, which retirees especially benefit from.)
Downside is higher local taxes to pay for all this, but OP outlined mitigations for NYS pensioners. Also, especially at commuter schools, more traffic, often on marginal access roads, so that impacts riding. But summers are better.
So on balance, if I were relocating (and Tuscany or Maui didn't work out) I'd start within site of an ivory tower.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:45 PM

Grew up between Kingston and Woodstock, love riding there. Been in the Capital District for 30+ years now (Schenectady/Saratoga counties) and love it. Regarding Columbia county area, there are also options in Rennselaer and even southern Washington county that would be to your liking as well. As far as being close to shopping, dining, etc, so what. You're never too far from a Hannaford, Price Chopper, Stewart's or Cumberland Farms. Find a spot you dig, and have at it.

Oh...............and Chatham Brewery
Old 12-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Pffffft....30,000 dollar plus tax bills in Westchester are not unusual.
True in much of the county...we are a bit lucky in this regard.

SPP
Old 12-24-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I was born in Schenectady County, lived there till I went to college in Central NY, then moved back for a year while I was doing a fellowship in Albany before going to the midwest for grad school.

I second, third, or whatever number we are at with what folks have said about taxes. Varies significantly from county to county so do your homework. Mortgage gets smaller, but taxes are forever. My folks moved to Saratoga County after us kids moved out for the tax breaks.

Food for thought - the central/upstate region of NY is amongst the cloudiest parts of the US. Data I saw not long ago showed it is only about 5% sunnier than Seattle and my experience growing up support these data. If grey days aren't your thing, look elsewhere.
Growing up in Rochester, I distinctly remember the morning paper "Democrat and Chronicle" with a picture of the sun (in glorious black and white) one day in the "grey days" as you so aptly put it "so we'd remember what it looks like"...

Oh and PS the flat state tax in PA is 3.07% so again vs real estate taxes...

Last edited by Davist; 12-24-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Growing up in Rochester, I distinctly remember the morning paper "Democrat and Chronicle" with a picture of the sun (in glorious black and white) one day in the "grey days" as you so aptly put it "so we'd remember what it looks like"...
ya knew someone with Lupus and doc told her Seattle or central ny will have the least direct sunlight.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:13 AM

The lack of sun thing reminded me of a local news story from 2 or 3 winters ago. The Binghamton area is cloudy even by upstate NY standards to give context. The story was how we had broken some kind of record where the sun had been constantly clouded over for 6 WEEKS straight.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:30 AM

Looking good for Columbia County ... specifically Hillsdale.

Anybody like 15' deep spring-fed swimming ponds?

See SPP on far left...

March 21, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 03-28-2020, 07:45 AM

Lots of gravel around Hillsdale, BashBish and Taconic Parks are great to, nice spot.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM

Once you start looking in that area - I'm curious - quite close to MA and CT too. Is there a reason to prefer one of the three states?

Good luck in any case SPP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

See SPP on far left...

March 21, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
The lack of sun thing reminded me of a local news story from 2 or 3 winters ago. The Binghamton area is cloudy even by upstate NY standards to give context. The story was how we had broken some kind of record where the sun had been constantly clouded over for 6 WEEKS straight.
Agree with this.

I grew up in the PNW and went to college at Colgate (Hamilton, NY, Madison County).

It's seriously cloudy. Seriously snowy as well.

I come from the land of the clouds so it wasn't terrible but add the cold temperatures and abundant snow and you have some burly weather.

I ran outside pretty much every day for the track and cross country team. Makes Portland seem like perfect running weather all year.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
Agree with this.

I grew up in the PNW and went to college at Colgate (Hamilton, NY, Madison County).

It's seriously cloudy. Seriously snowy as well.

I come from the land of the clouds so it wasn't terrible but add the cold temperatures and abundant snow and you have some burly weather.

I ran outside pretty much every day for the track and cross country team. Makes Portland seem like perfect running weather all year.

I currently live about an hour west of Hamilton, outside Skaneateles NY. The finger lakes region is a great place for cycling when you are able to avoid the rain. The season is shorter than much of the rest of the USA (other than the northern central states and northern New England.) Though the scenery is well worth the sacrifice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE=SlowPokePete;2683655]Looking good for Columbia County ... specifically Hillsdale.

See SPP on far left...

Yes please
Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

See SPP on far left...

SPP
Ironically, we've ridden a lot of the same roads up there. I looked on Starva once. I wonder if I've ridden by that pond ... Prolly... tons of riding up that way and over in Litchfield County, CT, too.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Once you start looking in that area - I'm curious - quite close to MA and CT too. Is there a reason to prefer one of the three states?

Good luck in any case SPP!
NYS Pension = no state income tax to pay when I retire as of June 30th.

SPP
Old 03-30-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Ironically, we've ridden a lot of the same roads up there. I looked on Starva once. I wonder if I've ridden by that pond ... Prolly... tons of riding up that way and over in Litchfield County, CT, too.
My only rides up in Columbia County have been the past two years of the Farmer's Daughter...

Whats your handle on Strava?

SPP