Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
And how do we not know that she hinted at some point to her husband that she wanted a Pel(o)ton (for Old Potatoes sake) and her husband was a bang up dude and got her one?
Oh haven't you heard? Every middle aged white man (especially if he has money) is an abusive Devil whose sole purpose in life is to propagate the patriarchy and keep other people under his foot while he laughs his evil laugh.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
As a personal trainer, the idea of an already thin woman striving to become even thinner is really problematic.
serious question:

i am, by most standards, thin.

if you saw me riding my bicycle - would you simply assume that the reason i was riding it was to become thinner?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've been trading this stock for the last couple weeks, so I've been following this ad controversy pretty closely. I think the ad was poorly hatched because it overestimated the sophistication of the bulk of the target market. The ad's real intended message is the woman challenging herself with the classes, and her family supporting her, as the Peloton program is challenging. The whole " exercise is only for losing fat" crowd doesn't get the message. Add in the Woke cancel culture crowd, and you have a recipe for disaster.
^^^Mostly this.

As noted above, transformation isn't always physical. Unfortunately however, the commercial was poorly written and/or edited, leaving too much open to interpretation. Into that void, many people have put their own pre-conceptions (and mis-conceptions), so many of the criticisms say more about the mindsest of the critics than it does about Peloton.

I've notices that some of the recent airings of the commercial have been re-edited, and omit the ending where the videos are being watched by the husband, and put more emphasis on the "journey" of the wife.

Of course, there is still the open debate about whether or not Peloton is some type of cult ...
Old 12-06-2019, 10:03 AM

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
whaaaaaa haha!

what is half gay
slur?!!?!
now that is more offensive than housewives exercising
Old 12-06-2019, 10:05 AM

It must upset the new PC crowd that I actually select my own rage rather than letting the raged masses on the interwebz select it for me. It's so outrageous!
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Listened to an interesting NPR show last night about how our current culture (big blame to Twitter & Facebook) removes all ability to discuss issues with nuance.

If your identity matches a particular pattern you must be 100% offended by the Peloton ad, you must express outrage. If you show nuance it makes you have an identity crisis. This controversy is a perfect example of what the show was about.

Meghan Daum was the author of the book being discussed.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...npointbooks-20

Last edited by benb; 12-06-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I’ll move the Peloton bike into our gallery so I can spend time with my half gay husband while he reads Architectural Digest wearing combat boots.

What does "half gay" mean? I thought it was you are, or you ain't.
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Smile

Having a sunny, upbeat, and generally humorous outlook on life is clearly lacking these days!

time to call the whaaaambulance

call the whambulance.png
Old 12-06-2019, 10:11 AM

how is it that thin people are trying to get thinner, and not simply maintaining their physique and feeding their addictions? i can tell you right now, there is nothing about this hobby I do to make me thinner. i dont want to be thinner, i want to gain 5 lbs. if i were on a peloton, would i be trying to lose weight?

this is dumb, they are marketing to whoever wants to buy it.. dont like the add? dont buy the thing.

next
Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post

"Metrosexual" (does anyone use that term any more?) would have made more sense here.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:19 AM

There's always SOMETHING to be outraged about. Personally, I'll save my blood pressure spikes for something more concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
TThis is still one of the funniest things I've seen on Twitter: https://twitter.com/clueheywood/stat...99762331217920.
OK, this Twitter feed is awesome!

We have several friends that have Pelotons. And yes, they are all affluent white women that are mostly thin. They have them because they all found driving 10-20 minutes to Soul Cycle or other spin classes and dropping $20-$30 per class several times a week just didn't make sense when they could have easy access to a Peloton in their house and accomplish the same goals. The cost (which I personally feel is a bit ridiculous) seems to be worth it to them for the convenience.

Texbike
Old 12-06-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post

LOL one thing is for sure...."you ain't"
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Just wait for the Peleton ad featuring a lady driving up in her Mercedes AMG wagon..................
Old 12-06-2019, 10:21 AM

When I first read that Twitter feed a while back I laughed for days.

The post in question being one of the funniest things I have read in a loooong time.

Gold
Closed Thread