Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 AM

In the NE i definitely feel like the market has been hit hard once the temperature dropped and started snowing. Shipping obviously is always an option but the shipping adds a premium that typically cuts away at the price that the seller was hoping to get. Hopefully its seasonal, i dont feel like the number of bikers have decreased from a cursory look at my community.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Ti one on!

Thanks to all for the replies. I was shocked at the volume of comments, and take to heart those that are constructive.

I previously considered taking the bike down to a frame, fork, and headset, but thought that maybe the whole "vintage" look that I was gunning for would also be appreciated by others. Lots of "nice bike" comments, but no takers. Perhaps the nostalgia some of us feel for the 7/11 days was misplaced.

The bike will now come off eBay and I will pause until spring and then list it as a frameset. Since this is how I found the bike, and built it up with individual component purchases, the lesson is learned. Who knows, perhaps the bike will bring in more for me as the sum of its parts.

The other bikes I am going to be selling soon will probably go the same way.

Thanks again, and keep the conversation going.

TC
Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Johnson View Post
I previously considered taking the bike down to a frame, fork, and headset, but thought that maybe the whole "vintage" look that I was gunning for would also be appreciated by others. Lots of "nice bike" comments, but no takers. Perhaps the nostalgia some of us feel for the 7/11 days was misplaced.
TC
Wouldn’t say your appreciation for the 7/11 days is misplaced - it was a special time for American cycling. Monetizing that appreciation is a different beast. The average Joe has little knowledge or appreciation for those days and the average person looking for a bike is the same. Like vintage automobiles you’re looking for someone who emotionally connects with that era irrespective of advancements in technology. Basically a collector who isn’t concerned with the resale/monetary value of the bike. An “investor” knows there is little financial value to the bike ... at this time. Maybe some day, maybe never.

Have you seen the Leno’s Garage episode pitting vintage GTO against a modern grocery getter Avalon or Corolla (forget exact vehicle). GTO got smoked by average modern technology. The average person is more inclined to drop $50K on contemporary performance than 50+ year old tech. Nostalgia is fun, but a risky investment. Better suited to people with the resources to take a major financial hit if/when fickle desires of others change. Items with really really unique history might have enough of a collector base to support ongoing financial valuation, but most things don’t. Truly rare items are more than likely already out of affordability for the average person.

If you need to sell or no longer covet the bike, part it out and move it along at the best offer you can get. If you’re willing to wait for someone who shares your passion for the bike and the era, hold onto it as it is - some day fate may connect you.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Wouldn’t say your appreciation for the 7/11 days is misplaced - it was a special time for American cycling. Monetizing that appreciation is a different beast. The average Joe has little knowledge or appreciation for those days and the average person looking for a bike is the same. Like vintage automobiles you’re looking for someone who emotionally connects with that era irrespective of advancements in technology. Basically a collector who isn’t concerned with the resale/monetary value of the bike. An “investor” knows there is little financial value to the bike ... at this time. Maybe some day, maybe never.

Have you seen the Leno’s Garage episode pitting vintage GTO against a modern grocery getter Avalon or Corolla (forget exact vehicle). GTO got smoked by average modern technology. The average person is more inclined to drop $50K on contemporary performance than 50+ year old tech. Nostalgia is fun, but a risky investment. Better suited to people with the resources to take a major financial hit if/when fickle desires of others change. Items with really really unique history might have enough of a collector base to support ongoing financial valuation, but most things don’t. Truly rare items are more than likely already out of affordability for the average person.

If you need to sell or no longer covet the bike, part it out and move it along at the best offer you can get. If you’re willing to wait for someone who shares your passion for the bike and the era, hold onto it as it is - some day fate may connect you.
This was extremely well-written. I also would borrow from it to form the basis of a new ad when the time comes. Many (perhaps most) viewers are unaware of that era's importance. You are inviting potential buyers to own a functional piece of history.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:52 PM

For bikes there is nothing comparable to the vintage markets in, eg, cars and musical instruments, where the market value is the result of speculation and is often much, much greater than the intrinsic value. In the case of this specimen. It's just a bike, albeit a lugged steel one. If people aren't biting it's not because there is an absence of nostalgia. FWIW I think the paint is way cool, separate from any connection with sepia-toned bygone days of American cycling yore.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
For bikes there is nothing comparable to the vintage markets in, eg, cars and musical instruments, where the market value is the result of speculation and is often much, much greater than the intrinsic value. In the case of this specimen. It's just a bike, albeit a lugged steel one. If people aren't biting it's not because there is an absence of nostalgia. FWIW I think the paint is way cool, separate from any connection with sepia-toned bygone days of American cycling yore.

Nicely put. Some serious copywriting on this site...
Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's not so much that I want a disc brake road bike, but the suppliers have decided I want a disc brake bike and I'm somewhat disinclined to struggle over that issue. I have enough pointless struggles in my life to pick up another one that doesn't really affect my riding in any substantive way. I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Well put. I agree. I don't think I'd buy a new rim braked bike now, not because one is better than the other, but due to where the market is going. It's kinda like debating Beta/VHS.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Nostalgia is fun, but a risky investment. Better suited to people with the resources to take a major financial hit if/when fickle desires of others change.
lol

are we still talking about bicycles?

"a major financial hit" ?

no one should be buying recreational bicycles they intend to ride as any type of "investment", and if the re-sale value of your bicycle falls to zero and it's somehow a "major" financial hit, you have over extended yourself.

they're just bikes. we should buy what we like and can afford and accept the realistic market value when we are ready to sell them.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's not so much that I want a disc brake road bike, but the suppliers have decided I want a disc brake bike and I'm somewhat disinclined to struggle over that issue. I have enough pointless struggles in my life to pick up another one that doesn't really affect my riding in any substantive way. I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.

We went to the Raystown lake trail system and there were a couple of guys riding 26" mtbs that probably were high-end when they bought them 10 years ago. I imagine the comments they get about their bikes are really annoying, and forget about trying to sell them. And they are perfectly capable bikes. The industry tried to do the same to 29er with 650b, but so far it isn't working as well.

I don’t see any lack of rim brake parts around. I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon. The real issues for holdouts, myself included, will start once the big 3 stop making any new rim brake parts at all.

Other stuff like wheels won’t be an issue as there will be plenty of options with builders.

Anyway, I’m counting on campy forever making rim brake groupsets and wheels.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Is this thread about difficulty re-selling high end bikes? Specifically older aka Vintage used bicycles? Or something about the decline in selling new, high end bikes?

Selling them brand new is easy, you bought it for the premium price.
Re-selling it years later when technology has made leaps and bounds while expecting the asset to retain it's value isn't likely to happen unless it's a known collectors item.

Add custom geometry to that equation and 90% of your target market just left because they aren't your size or willing to drop serious coin on a used bike that won't fit properly. Also, selling anything of higher value without being able to lay eyes on it or ride it for the purpose of checking fit make it supremely difficult to make your sale stick.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Is this thread about difficulty re-selling high end bikes? Specifically older aka Vintage used bicycles? Or something about the decline in selling new, high end bikes?

Selling them brand new is easy, you bought it for the premium price.
Re-selling it years later when technology has made leaps and bounds while expecting the asset to retain it's value isn't likely to happen unless it's a known collectors item.

Add custom geometry to that equation and 90% of your target market just left because they aren't your size or willing to drop serious coin on a used bike that won't fit properly. Also, selling anything of higher value without being able to lay eyes on it or ride it for the purpose of checking fit make it supremely difficult to make your sale stick.
And no offense to Steve, but all used custom steel bikes depreciate like an elevator with the cable cut.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
I don’t see any lack of rim brake parts around. I don’t think they are going anywhere anytime soon. The real issues for holdouts, myself included, will start once the big 3 stop making any new rim brake parts at all.

Other stuff like wheels won’t be an issue as there will be plenty of options with builders.
I'm mostly concerned about rims. You can still get 26" rims, but the selection is dwindling unless you find someone's stash. And there are occasional reports of shortages some desirable models of 700c rim brake rims now. I have built myself some frames for rim brakes recently. I always have a few moments of downtime where I wonder if it's a good idea. That's not going to stop everyone, but a couple of people on this thread have called themselves bargain hunters and say that leads them to looking at buying rim brake bikes. When the market for an item is primarily people that think of themselves as bargain hunters, sellers are going to be disappointed.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
"...No one should be buying recreational bicycles they intend to ride as any type of "investment", and if the re-sale value of your bicycle falls to zero and it's somehow a "major" financial hit, you have over extended yourself. They're just bikes..."
Agreed. My bicycles are purchased for ME for MY sole enjoyment.
I have never once even considered resale value in the equation.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Agreed. My bicycles are purchased for ME for MY sole enjoyment.
I have never once even considered resale value in the equation.
Ditto, anyone considering resale value is delusional if they think that they are going to recoup real money on a bike that was purchased new, or even used in many cases.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 AM

The one thing that entered my mind when getting a custom bike - initialing it. That would surely impact resale value. I did think about that.