Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM

Looks like a lion to me. The Bob's we have here in the East anyway are more stout then that profile.

Beautiful site. Cat sightings are rare and looks like you got one from a nice safe distance
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Funny if you were here on the East Coast and sent that picture to a ranger/forest service whatever they'd go into Men In Black mode and tell you that you were hallucinating because there are no Mountain Lions left on the East coast. No matter how many people see them.

My favorite story around here is still the police officer seeing one described as 6' long at noon in full sun cross the street in front of his cruiser. He was discounted by the Feds as not being a reliable observer. As if he was a drunk at 3AM in the dark. Too bad, that was a year or two before they all started getting dash/body cams.

I would have thought this was a Bobcat.. though maybe if I'd seen it in person I'd have been able to tell it was too big.

We have Coyotes right in our suburban neighborhoods here, but I've never seen any wild cats with the exception that maybe I saw a Fisher Cat once.. could have been a big domestic cat too though.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Without a doubt jaguar shark.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=joosttx;2396762]This morning was the shake down ride on my new 44 bike that is awesome but hang on. While riding up Mt Tam I came across what I first thought was a bobcat on the trail.

Mountain Lion...Bobcat smaller plus much 'hairier', furrier looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobcat-or-lynx.jpg (74.0 KB, 239 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

We have Coyotes right in our suburban neighborhoods here, but I've never seen any wild cats with the exception that maybe I saw a Fisher Cat once.. could have been a big domestic cat too though.
I have definitely seen Fisher Cats on my property here in RI. A few years back we were waiting for the school bus early one morning at the end of our drive and I saw a cat cross the road into the woods about 50 - 60 yards away. It was way to big to be a domestic cat, paws were way too big as well and the ears were pointed...it definitely looked like a Bobcat.

William
Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Fisher cat in the woods behind our house. Stupid a@@ neighbor leaves food out for it!

Vicious little things. At night when they “scream” it sounds like a woman is being murdered and you need to call 911.

Makes me nervous for our dog sometimes.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I have definitely seen Fisher Cats on my property here in RI. A few years back we were waiting for the school bus early one morning at the end of our drive and I saw a cat cross the road into the woods about 50 - 60 yards away. It was way to big to be a domestic cat, paws were way too big as well and the ears were pointed...it definitely looked like a Bobcat.

William
The one I saw was a lot like your description, I've just never told people I know I saw one because of the distance away it was, I just couldn't be sure. It was more like 100-125 yards away.

If they are vicious I'm happy not seeing it up closer though.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM

The coat looks similar to this

and the silhouette look similar to

Thinking another dog off leash!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The one I saw was a lot like your description, I've just never told people I know I saw one because of the distance away it was, I just couldn't be sure. It was more like 100-125 yards away.

If they are vicious I'm happy not seeing it up closer though.

They definitely go out of their way to avoid people.

William
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Fisher cat in the woods behind our house. Stupid a@@ neighbor leaves food out for it!

Vicious little things. At night when they “scream” it sounds like a woman is being murdered and you need to call 911.

Makes me nervous for our dog sometimes.

BK

The last one we saw was about the size of Rhea Basset. That was one big Fisher Cat, it looked at us for a moment, kind of like it was sizing us up, and decided it would go the other direction...though not in a hurry.

A guy at our gym had a run in with one. He let his dog out one night and didn't know that one was in the yard and his dog went after it. The Fisher Cat started ripping into his dog and he ran up and tried to kick it off and ended up getting his foot ripped up as well. Luckily it disengaged and the dog ran away from it. Big vet and medical bills followed. You don't want to mess with them.

William
Old 07-19-2018, 09:49 AM

I heard a fisher cat (not a feline) on the Virginia farm I lived on a few years ago. I know they are not supposed to be this far down south but being a New Englander myself I know what one sounds like. I assumed it was a Fisher and not the neighbor torturing people in his dungeon.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Standard cougar approach is stealth and strike to neck, breaking neck, lights out. In this instance spray makes no difference. But: the recent attack/killed 3 year old male in Washington was repeated frontal charge. The carnivore experts I work with strongly encourage carrying spray in cat and bear territory. Now the attack in Washington was aberrational in many respects but solo riding in cat country, having a cannister of spray maybe worth considering (our if you fate is to be cat food well, having witnessed parents and in laws die slow, lingering painful deaths, kept unnaturally Alice by "modern medicine" well...)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Have never seen a mountain lion while riding (let alone on such a well-trafficked trail), but would love to someday. From a distance, of course. Awe-inspiring animals and a fun reminder that we're visitors on something else's turf.

Last year during Grinduro on the last stage, coming down Mt. Hough, a baby bear ran right down the embankment onto the trail in front of me and ran with me for around 100 yards, no more than three feet off my front wheel, almost like he was pacing me. I thought it was a big puppy when I first saw him coming down the hill but his stride gave him away. I've never been more terrified while riding — the trail is super exposed on one side, and I knew mama couldn't be that far away... Let's just say that was my fastest descent ever down that trail once the bear got out of the way.

Glad you made it out of there unharmed. And congrats on that beautiful bike — very similar to my new hardtail and it's been eye-opening for riding up in Marin.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM

Bobcat

You can tell by size and ear shape
Old 07-19-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshi View Post
I vote mt. lion. I ran into a juvenile mt. lion while mt. biking in Idyllwild and it had the same profile.
Juveniles can have spots (they're born with them as kittens and then grow out of them). Definitely a catamount encounter. Very very cool.

Oh, and you weren't in danger. The Seattle incident notwithstanding, attacks by Mtn. Lions are exceedingly rare. P-22 lives in the 8 square miles of Griffith Park and no one ever sees him, much less is threatened by him and there are hundreds of thousands of people there every year. They're not called stealth cats idly.

Last edited by whateveronfire; 07-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.