Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Another life lost.

We lost another cyclist here in Seattle. Yesterday, Alex Hayden succumbed to his injuries after a hit and run over the weekend. He was in the damn bike lane! I have rode that route many many times. The bike lane is well marked. His mangled bike was dragged 1200 feet and the driver still do not stop. She has now surrendered.

KEXP played a lot of Clash this morning in his memory. GUNS OF BRIXTON is playing in my head right now.

"When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?!?! With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?!?!?!"

I hope there is justice for Alex, his wife, and his children!

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-and-run-dies/

--Sheldon Brown
Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post
We lost another cyclist here in Seattle. Yesterday, Alex Hayden succumbed to his injuries after a hit and run over the weekend. He was in the damn bike lane! I have rode that route many many times. The bike lane is well marked. His mangled bike was dragged 1200 feet and the driver still do not stop. She has now surrendered.

KEXP played a lot of Clash this morning in his memory. GUNS OF BRIXTON is playing in my head right now.

"When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?!?! With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?!?!?!"

RIP. Switching over to KEXP now.. Have ridden that section MANY times myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaLover View Post

Tragic. Rainier Avenue is home to some of the worst drivers in the city. Wrecks aplenty.

Ryan
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM

A guy gets killed by a hit & run, and they had to turn off the comment section. That's crazy. People are sick.
"Editor’s note: Due to the number of comments on this story that violated our Terms of Service, the comment thread has been removed."
Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Five DUI convictions in eight years. The driver was supposed to drive a vehicle with an ignition interlock device but was driving her uncles truck without the device or his permission. Tragic.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:40 PM

I’m really getting sick of reading stories like this. Lock her up and throw away the key.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
I’m really getting sick of reading stories like this. Lock her up and throw away the key.
Right? I was a peace officer at one point in my 20s and was all "due process man". In cases like this, max sentence please...…..
Old 07-18-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
RIP. Switching over to KEXP now.. Have ridden that section MANY times myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sorry for your loss.

I have never lost a close friend due to an accident, but
I have a dozen or so who have been hit in Charlotte, NC. Many of these have been hit and runs.

I usually meet someone once a month who was hit or had a friend killed.

We live under car tyranny!!!!

I love Guns of Brixton and the Clash.

John Lennon

Last edited by drewski; 07-18-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski View Post
Sorry for your loss.

I have never lost a close friend due to an accident, but
I have a dozen or so who have been hit in Charlotte, NC. Many of these have been hit and runs.

I usually meet someone once a month who was hit or had a friend killed.

We live under car tyranny!!!!

I love Guns of Brixton and the Clash.
I didn't know the man, but appreciate the sentiment..

Love and care to all who've lost ones to this crazy culture.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 AM
Everything is connected

The victim's wife does market research work for us as a consultant and we found out about the event yesterday through one of her partners. I cannot imagine the pain that she is experiencing.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Angry Follow-up

Ducati2 was correct. 5DUI's?!?!?!? How does this person get behind a wheel??!?!?! The minimum jail time for a third or more offense is 90 days consecutively and up to a $5K fine, 3yr suspension, etc.

I am simply dumbfounded! That could have been me or one of my friends. . . .

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sus...nder/791484958

--Sheldon Brown

Last edited by OperaLover; 07-19-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Right? I was a peace officer at one point in my 20s and was all "due process man". In cases like this, max sentence please...…..
Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive. She gets her due process, as she should, but if she is convicted, I have no problem with giving her the maximum sentence the law allows. As a multiple-time loser, she has earned it.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
“When they showed it on the news and I told her - that's Chrystal because I recognized that truck,” said Toy Robinson, Barber’s neighbor.

“She's great, nice, a great person,” Robinson added. “She's a good friend, person to as a friend.”

Barber is not accused of DUI in this case but KIRO 7 has learned Barber is a repeat DUI offender with five DUI convictions from 2003-2011.

Robinson was surprised to hear that.

“Wouldn't you learn from your first offense? I would. I would learn from it,” Robinson said.

Hayden is still in critical condition in the ICU at Harborview Medical Center. Documents show he may not survive his injuries. He was a local photographer and had two children.

“I just wish her the best of luck. Don't wish nothing bad. Praying for the other side too,” Robinson added.
Emphasis mine.

Are you freaking kidding me? A great person!!!?? Wish her luck? Other side!!!???

What the hell is wrong with some people. There's only one side here, and that is that she mortally wounded an innocent person. She has used up all of her compassion chips. Rot in hell, asshole. The world is a better place without her.

How about compassion for the family and friends of her VICTIM?

I, for my part, sincerely hope that his family is able to recover and move on in peace.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM

IMO five DUIs shows depraved indifference to human life. At this point, the person is a danger to society and should be incarcerated for the remainder of their life to prevent further innocent deaths. Note that the news story specifically states that the accused "is not accused of DUI in this case" but "was supposed to have an ignition interlock device in her car but the truck did not have one." IMO she used up her "three strikes" about two DUIs ago.

Greg
Old 07-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
IMO five DUIs shows depraved indifference to human life. At this point, the person is a danger to society and should be incarcerated for the remainder of their life to prevent further innocent deaths. Note that the news story specifically states that the accused "is not accused of DUI in this case" but "was supposed to have an ignition interlock device in her car but the truck did not have one." IMO she used up her "three strikes" about two DUIs ago.

Greg
The case is shocking and very sad. As much as I’d like to see the driver behind bars for the rest of her life, isn’t going to happen. Hopefully she gets the maximum for the charges they finally settle on but no doubt some plea deal will result in some jail time but rest assured, she’ll get out and will drive again...hopefully sober(but I doubt it)...