Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Track bike to Single Speed - Questions

As per another thread, I rode my track bike a few times on the road this year, and found I really enjoyed it. It got me thinking about converting it to a single speed next summer, once track season is over.

A few questions, can a freewheel fit on a standard track hub or do I need to find a 120 hub that is single speed specific? I understand that the thread is the same but that it may not engage as much, any concerns?

The rear is not drilled for brakes, anyone have experience with adapters such as https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...te_7alZLtmTlts

Other than being ugly, do they work?

Last edited by pdonk; Yesterday at 01:36 PM. Reason: removed an error in thread
Old Today, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
As per another thread, I rode my track bike a few times on the road this year, and found I really enjoyed it. It got me thinking about converting it to a single speed next summer, once track season is over.

A few questions, can a freewheel fit on a standard track hub or do I need to find a 120 hub that is single speed specific? I understand that the thread is the same but that it may not engage as much, any concerns?

The rear is not drilled for brakes, anyone have experience with adapters such as https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...te_7alZLtmTlts

Other than being ugly, do they work?
Yes, it will thread on and yes, it doesn't engage as many threads..Depending on the FW and you(are ya BIG POWER OUT guy?), it will 'probably' be fine.

Don't have any experience with that brake gizmo but depending on the fork, you 'may' be able to drill it for a front brake.
Old Today, 08:00 AM

Yep, single-speed FW will thread on just fine. Thread engagement should be fine - there will be just as many threads engaged on the FW as the fixed cog. The FW might have a few more threads that aren't engaged, but that shouldn't matter much if at all.

I would hesitate to you a clamp-on brake mount like that. Ugly for sure, but I'd also worry about frame damage (paint, crushed tube, stresses that weren't intended, etc).
Old Today, 08:09 AM

I've never had issues with freewheels on fixed hubs.

Personally, I'd rather have a frame with road geo and track ends for road riding. I've always hated high BBs and ~57mm trail just feels right.