Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 02:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

I really like the specialized roubaix 30/32. Measures about 35mm on my rims. They are cheap and ride really damn well. A little heavier than compass (which are of course also excellent) but these are my new favorites.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 PM

The most supple are typically Rene Herse/Compass also liked the Grand bois offerings in the 30-32mm I have tried, but the best overall tire is the Gravel King IMHO.

They are all made by panaracer and all ride great, but the Kings just last longer, roll great, are puncture resistant and cost much less. I am running 32s on wide rims and they measure out to around 34mm. I am running 28s on another bike with belgium+ rims and they measure out to just under 30mm.

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 03:13 PM

Also gotta throw in my vote for GravelKings. Such a stellar tire all around.

Also as an FYI because the release seemed a little under the radar, but Panaracer recently released the GravelKing+ which is a variant that is a little more robust and supposedly offers more puncture protection.

I have ridden extensively both the original GravelKings and I now have two bikes set up with the GravelKing+ (both 35mm and 38mm) and I really can't tell a difference between the previous version of the GravelKings and the new "+" version in terms of ride quality and feel (both run tubeless). The weight difference between the two on paper is very small as well if I remember correctly.

The only difference I have noticed so far is that the new GravelKing+ tires do they seem to last longer than the previous generation --- so if you're in the market I would definitely look into the GravelKing+ !

It seems like a lot of online vendors have been slow to get them in, but I recently bought a set at biketiresdirect -- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...0c-tire?sg=500
Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM

I have the Panaracer GK's in 32 that I really like (too).
For a little lighter I'm wondering what a Michelin Pro 4 in 28 mm will stretch to.
Schwalbe one in 30 mm?
Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I really like the specialized roubaix 30/32. Measures about 35mm on my rims. They are cheap and ride really damn well. A little heavier than compass (which are of course also excellent) but these are my new favorites.

Cool I will check into these.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

Also as an FYI because the release seemed a little under the radar, but Panaracer recently released the GravelKing+ which is a variant that is a little more robust and supposedly offers more puncture protection.

I have ridden extensively both the original GravelKings and I now have two bikes set up with the GravelKing+ (both 35mm and 38mm) and I really can't tell a difference between the previous version of the GravelKings and the new "+" version in terms of ride quality and feel (both run tubeless). The weight difference between the two on paper is very small as well if I remember correctly.

The only difference I have noticed so far is that the new GravelKing+ tires do they seem to last longer than the previous generation --- so if you're in the market I would definitely look into the GravelKing+ !

It seems like a lot of online vendors have been slow to get them in, but I recently bought a set at biketiresdirect -- https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...0c-tire?sg=500

Thank you so much for the info.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Right now the 32’s I am running measure closer to 34. I measure about 45mm clearance and since and dirt/gravel will be a rather smaller part of my riding I may be able to get a true 38 but likely sticking to a 35mm is a safer bet.

How much clearance do you guys think is acceptable for road riding?
Old 08-18-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
i really like the specialized roubaix 30/32. Measures about 35mm on my rims. They are cheap and ride really damn well. A little heavier than compass (which are of course also excellent) but these are my new favorites.
+1
Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Another vote for these tires- bulletproof, fast and comfy.
I have had two sets in the last 1.5 years- I can’t believe I am such a Spesh fan, but these are great
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
perhaps you should substantiate your experience with the compass tires with some actual reasoning. "among the worst i've run" really doesnt tell the reader anything at all, other than that you disliked them.

i would agree that the gravel king is an excellent tire, and an excellent value, but i also believe, as most others who have tried both, that the compass tires feel and ride nicer. what is it that you didnt like about them?
I ride almost exclusively Panaracers on both road and gravel (I am very happy with all the Panaracer tires I've used), but have run plenty of other tires. I've tried the higher end options from Schwalbe, Conti, Vittoria, Michelin, etc in 28-32mm range. Decent sample size, though I'm not claiming to be running anything in perfectly repeatable conditions.

On road, the Compass felt like ice skates in comparison to the grip provided by all the other soft/sticky tires - especially under braking. They also ended up being squared off in the middle of the tread faster than anything else, including the Schwalbe G-One and Durano which both wear down more quickly than I'd like. I spent a lot of time playing with pressure, but could not get the ride quality I'd expect or the cornering stability I wanted. I did not have any flats while using the Compass tires, but they only made it 800 miles before I took them off. I generally expect 1500 out of a "race" tire and 2500 or so out of a standard tire. The fresher, front Compass went onto a friend's bike to get him home one day and quickly suffered an irreparable cut - which is not a measure of much of anything but seems to be a recurring theme with these.

On the internet, I see nothing but praise. My offline discussions have echoed similar experiences to the above. Everyone should ride the tires they like, for me the GK has been the way to go.

Last edited by Pinned; 08-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 PM

I ride 4Seasons in a 32 these days and they are fine but on road they seem sluggish until I ride like 90lbs. I rode 28's for years and they seemed perfect with 80lbs

Maybe I'm just sluggish.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
Another vote for these tires- bulletproof, fast and comfy.
I have had two sets in the last 1.5 years- I can’t believe I am such a Spesh fan, but these are great
yep, they are my new favorite and you are right, great flat protection... add tubeless to that and you are rolling for a while.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 PM

Schwalbe G-One in 30mm are nice
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

Interestingly enough, and confusing - on the Panaracer website they do not show the “+” tires. They show certain models as new in the line-up but do not distinguish any with a + sign.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:59 AM

I’ve been using the simworks volummy, another Panaracer made GK variant with a little thicker tread and sidewall if that’s appealing. They come in 38 and 32. I might switch back to gravel Kings or compass once they’re done because I don’t really ride them off road much and don’t need the protection. They do set up tubeless incredibly well for a road tire.