Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 01:24 PM

Best $20-25k Grand Touring car

Good friend was at the house the other day bemoaning his Corvette. Not positive what model it is, but it's one of the faster, more-tuned versions.

He was frustrated that it seems to ALWAYS have something wrong with it. Local shop has it now and he's on the hook for about $4500 for a new rear differential and a few other repairs. His order to the shop manager was to go through the WHOLE car and make sure that he could go a year with only routine maintenance. So the repairs should be comprehensive.

Ultimately, he said that he ended up with more of a track car than he had in mind and that he wishes he had more of a Grand Touring style vehicle....2-door with a good power-to-weight ratio, but that allows you to enjoy the sound system and the ride at cruising speed rather than the throaty engine sound.

I told him to go shopping...that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a $25k toy that you're not really enjoying. And that I imagined there was someone out there that wanted what he had...especially in the state of repair that it should now be in.

I'm consistently impressed with the depth of collective knowledge on this forum. What would you recommend he consider?

I suggested he stop at the Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes shop and try things like a Cayman, S5, and others. I know he's not in the ballpark for NEW, but second-hand seems viable.
I'm not sure whether/which would likely be maintenance headaches, but I figured this group might have some first-hand knowledge that I could pass along.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Gti

fast enough, quiet enough, handle enough, room enough, dollar enough , practical enough. what is a grand touring car?

oh you said 2 door. sorry.

Veloster N = 2.5 doors.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/veloster-n

i personally would like to drive a Stinger.

Last edited by eddief; 08-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Sounds like he bought a modified messed up Corvette. A stock version with base engine in good condition w/b just the kind of car you describe.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 PM

The answer is always Miata.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 PM

You're on the right track, so to speak.

2009 Cayman would fit within his budget, and has important mechanical and cosmetic updates. Maintenance costs can be high, particularly if he doesn't have a very good private mechanic.

In fact, I'd start with the mechanic question... is there a specialty indie mechanic within 30 miles of where this guy lives?

Whatever that guy knows best, that's what I'd go with...

Cayman, Audi S5, BMW...

Lots of good forums out there to help him focus on years/equipment/etc... and he should be ready to travel for the right car. A good Pre Purchase Inspection will be mandatory.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
The answer is always Miata.
I so agree!

I foolishly sold my Miata for this C5 Z06 and while the vette was trouble free for me it was just never close to as fun as the Miata.

When I had enough of that silliness I went for MK VII GTI. Fun, reliable, economical and a car I never could sit in comfortably.

So traded it in for this. Takes the curves about as well as the Miata, almost as fast as the Vette, better than the GTI in everyway, and you can get pretty much the same car in a two door version.

All that said, the answer is always Miata. No other car makes you grin like a drunk fool each time you drive it.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Did he buy new?

Did he buy it new?

If he bought it used it’s a crap shoot. There are at least two types of Corvette owners, one that can afford the car and the required maintenance, the second can barely afford the car. Unlike BMW/Mercedes/Porsche, where you can hardly sell it used without all the service records, Corvettes slip by.

Then the driver, there are the older drivers that drive them carefully, the younger ones, not so careful.

If he bought used, he basically bought a project, unless he got it from someone that could afford the car and the maintenance and did not abuse it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
Good friend was at the house the other day bemoaning his Corvette. Not positive what model it is, but it's one of the faster, more-tuned versions.

He was frustrated that it seems to ALWAYS have something wrong with it. Local shop has it now and he's on the hook for about $4500 for a new rear differential and a few other repairs. His order to the shop manager was to go through the WHOLE car and make sure that he could go a year with only routine maintenance. So the repairs should be comprehensive.

Ultimately, he said that he ended up with more of a track car than he had in mind and that he wishes he had more of a Grand Touring style vehicle....2-door with a good power-to-weight ratio, but that allows you to enjoy the sound system and the ride at cruising speed rather than the throaty engine sound.

I told him to go shopping...that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a $25k toy that you're not really enjoying. And that I imagined there was someone out there that wanted what he had...especially in the state of repair that it should now be in.

I'm consistently impressed with the depth of collective knowledge on this forum. What would you recommend he consider?

I suggested he stop at the Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes shop and try things like a Cayman, S5, and others. I know he's not in the ballpark for NEW, but second-hand seems viable.
I'm not sure whether/which would likely be maintenance headaches, but I figured this group might have some first-hand knowledge that I could pass along.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Did he buy it new?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
If he bought used, he basically bought a project, unless he got it from someone that could afford the car and the maintenance and did not abuse it on the road.
I think you hit the nail on the head...whether it wasn't maintained correctly or it was hammered on, it's pretty clear that he bought a problem-vehicle.

I mean, the differential just needed to be replaced. That, alone, suggests that something was amiss....

His hope is that it's now repaired.
But even if that's the case, it's still more aggressively oriented than what he'd really like.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:08 PM
n - 1

He wants a “Grand Touring” car. Many of the suggestions don’t seem to fit that category. GT is typically a lux coupe for long distance driving. Think Herse rando bike, not a Spec Tarmac or Super Six.

I would suggest trying out an Infiniti coupe (older G37 or newer Q). BMW or Audi going for $25k may be coming up on a lot of maintenance trips to the dealer.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 PM

C’mon guys, a used Bentley coupe is the obvious answer here

I vote used Lexus coupe for reals.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

There really isn't anything that'll eat miles like a Benz.

It'll cost you $$ to maintain one tho.

M
Old 08-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Lexus Coupe.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 AM

If someone couldn't afford a vehicle when it was new, they can't afford it when it starts needing things. At best, this person better be very mechanically inclined, have a lift and more tools than the average person has had in their entire lives. Even then, they better be willing to devote the time and effort it takes to keep said vehicle in turn key condition.

Paying someone to do even routine jobs on a Corvette or a Euro car? You better be made of money, in which case, just buy a new one with a warranty. It'd be cheaper in the long run for your friend to lease a car he can't afford, drive it a few years and turn it in. That loss will be significantly less than trying to own something he couldn't afford to keep running and sold at a fire sale after it bled him dry.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
C’mon guys, a used Bentley coupe is the obvious answer here

I vote used Lexus coupe for reals.
Ya
Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
If someone couldn't afford a vehicle when it was new, they can't afford it when it starts needing things. At best, this person better be very mechanically inclined, have a lift and more tools than the average person has had in their entire lives. Even then, they better be willing to devote the time and effort it takes to keep said vehicle in turn key condition.

Paying someone to do even routine jobs on a Corvette or a Euro car? You better be made of money, in which case, just buy a new one with a warranty. It'd be cheaper in the long run for your friend to lease a car he can't afford, drive it a few years and turn it in. That loss will be significantly less than trying to own something he couldn't afford to keep running and sold at a fire sale after it bled him dry.
This is what I think also. Sometimes new is cheaper. Everything is new....tires, suspension, transmission, etc. have warranty. If you can't afford new....maybe you can't afford what you are drooling over. People get rid of vehicles for a reason, and they wind up on the used car lots. Otherwise hope you are a good mechanic, have a lift and tools, and time and interest to work on your vehicle.