Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 05:13 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Very cool.
Thank you for the link.

PS

arrange disorder

Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM

I didn't know about DP until about a couple of years ago when a colleague told me about him. He said you better get one of these bikes now before something happens to DP or you will regret it. Fast forward two years later, I bought a Responsorium Ciavete from a Paceline member and couldn't be happier. I don't know how the Duende or Marcelo ride but my RC is larger than I am usually fitted for but I got it dialed in to my specs. My bike is definitely a true piece or art and won't be in the market for another bike for awhile...wink, wink!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Good read. I treasure my duende. I mean, it’s just a bike, but it has soul.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'd imagine getting flooded with calls the day after the guys death qualifies. Those eBay auction listings were madness.

Lots of bottom feeders came outta the woodwork.
By flooded, he means 7 people called. A friend in the Industry related that Above Category received 12 calls.

I like Craig Gaulzetti's writing. His hyperbolic musings inject a type of pathos into the "sporting goods" mileu.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Great article.

I miss my Duende and I also miss my Seven Axiom.

When the time comes (and it will) to get one or the other again I'm going to drive the 2.5 hours down to Del Mar and talk to Craig.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
ZhugeLiang

What I find interesting is, there seems to be a "gap" between how jerk pal perceives Dario and his work and how Dario perceives himself. It's possible that the "gap" can be explained away by the emotional components that folks like to tag on to Dario, whether he personally approves it or not, I guess that's what we sometimes call "cult following". This phenomenon is not unique to just Pegoretti.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
What I find interesting is, there seems to be a "gap" between how jerk pal perceives Dario and his work and how Dario perceives himself. It's possible that the "gap" can be explained away by the emotional components that folks like to tag on to Dario, whether he personally approves it or not, I guess that's what we sometimes call "cult following". This phenomenon is not unique to just Pegoretti.

Pal... there is no such gap since no one here knows how Dario perceived himself. Cult following is justified on this case, trust me
Old 07-12-2019, 11:15 PM

Thanks for posting this. Great writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Good read. I treasure my duende. I mean, it’s just a bike, but it has soul.
+1000...... LOVE my Duende. Such a wonderful bike and a bike they’ll have to pry from my cold dead hands.....
Old 07-13-2019, 05:18 AM

won't sell to the "f*cking vultures".....but "save one for me though" because I'm different......such a ridiculous statement.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 AM

Cool stuff.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:54 AM

My Responsorium is essentially the EXACT one shown on the last pic of the article (but w/ black headset). Yay!.....
I remember my 1st impression after I got it the first time I 'punched it' at the base of a climb and it just popped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SummerCycles_outdoors_velaOma-14_GreenPanelsRespo.jpg (137.7 KB, 315 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
won't sell to the "f*cking vultures".....but "save one for me though" because I'm different......such a ridiculous statement.

I think he was noting the irony and sadness in also being a vulture himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 AM
needs adult supervision

I won't try to speak for Craig. I'll speak for me. I think the differences at the time of Dario's passing were about why someone wanted a frame. The eBay auctions showed, I think, that some saw it as an opportunity to make money. Once-in-a-deathtime as it were. And I think some in trying to buy a frame then from shops were hoping to flip them or find something that was, suddenly, more valuable. So the vulture part was, for me, about seeing money and nor something Dario made with his hands. Others, Craig is in this group, I think, had been waiting, postponing finally getting a frame they'd always wanted.

Maybe that's the difference. Time. Wanting something you've prized for a very long time vs wanting something suddenly because it was worth more money. Not worth more love. I know Craig. I knew Dario. Craig wanting a frame was about love, respect, a bond, to honor, and keeping a friend close by having something he made close. When I see and ride my Pegs, that's what do. I keep my friend close and in my heart.

Last edited by Climb01742; 07-13-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 AM

id ride that blue marcello,

great article, thanks for sharing
Old 07-13-2019, 09:32 AM

First time I saw a Pegoretti, i knew nothing of it and thought good grief that paint, what is that mess?

Over time, I came to really appreciate everything about them, since I learned from whom and where they came. A beautiful history behind the brand. Never to be replicated in this era, sadly.

They truly are works of functional art, and it's on the bucket list one of these days, a nice used version that was infused with the master's touch.

This is a great quote:

"But making a frame-a static piece of physical art-is different than making the dynamic, kinetic vehicle called a bicycle, says Richard. “It can be beautiful, but what do you know about morphology, or descending, going around a corner, the technical aspects of frame design?”

Dario had all of that. And more: Aside from his talent with a torch or a paint gun, and his mastery of fit and geometry, the Falz carbon-fiber fork on his bikes is his own design. Cycling has master framebuilders, like Sachs, and virtuoso painters, like Joe Bell, and great designers, like Specialized’s creative director, Robert Egger. Some, like the builder-painter Tom Kellogg, and builder-designers Ross Shafer and Tom Ritchey, manage to excel in more than one area. But no one put it all together quite like Dario. That’s what the officina-the Pegoretti workshop and its surviving members-must replace."