Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 05:53 PM

I lived two hours away. A number of my friends went but I had other plans and wasn't interested. Of course at the time, we had no idea it would become "Woodstock". I was 20 at the time and was more of a jazz fan. But I saw Joe Cocker two years before he died and he was tremendous!!
Old 08-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Listening to WXPN and also watching American Experience's Woodstock.
Richie Havens always said he played for 2 hrs, but the tapes show his opening set was 45 minutes.
Guess it's true, if you remember Woodstock, you weren't there1

1 with apologies to Robin Williams.

Last edited by Tony T; 08-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:00 PM

50 years ago in August of 1969, I was buying a Hetchins on 7 Sisters Rd in London to do a bike tour of the UK. The frame was £25 and built up it was $220 in traveler's checks. The frame had straight instead of curly stays and was one of their simplest lug designs. It still hangs in my shop to show my frame building class students. When I read about Woodstock later I was glad I was cycling instead.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:59 PM

I was only 14 in '69 and never even thought about going. I did buy the famous album a couple of years later and played it often. Also saw the film that came out as well. Just yesterday I watched the PBS documentary on Woodstock. Funny, what really caught my attention this time was how thin everyone was! Thousands upon thousands of people captured on camera and it just reminded me how much American diets have changed, along with many other things, over those 50 years.

Tim
Old 08-18-2019, 02:19 PM

I got hooked into the online stream, didn't have recording setup so missed The Band and CSNY set. Ten Years After, Going Home probably favorite of what I heard.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Rhino (and Amazon) has selected sets for sale.
The Complete Set is sold out (a limited edition of 1969 units sold at $800ea)
Old 08-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Did those kids ever get off the scaffolding?

Chip Monck, the announcer who didn't even know he was getting the job, deserved an award. Surprised he didn't make it big somewhere announcing.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I was only 14 in '69 and never even thought about going. I did buy the famous album a couple of years later and played it often. Also saw the film that came out as well. Just yesterday I watched the PBS documentary on Woodstock. Funny, what really caught my attention this time was how thin everyone was! Thousands upon thousands of people captured on camera and it just reminded me how much American diets have changed, along with many other things, over those 50 years.

Tim
VERY true! And the picture also shows that the male to female ratio was was 20 to 1 or more. A regular sausage fest
Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Chip Monck, the announcer who didn't even know he was getting the job, deserved an award. Surprised he didn't make it big somewhere announcing.
Chip went on to become the concert lighting director for The Rolling Stones, he did alright for himself.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Tim
no - we were just speed freaks - hahaha
Old 08-19-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
CSNY was the flavor of the year.
According to the PBS Documentary, it was CSN at Woodstock.
The clips and printed material that PBS showed only had CSN.
Even the introduction by Chip Mounk said "Please welcome Crosby, Stills, Nash"

Fake News

I don't know why PBS left out Neil Young, but it was not an overnight, as they edited Chip's introduction, which was "Please welcome Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young". Yes, Neil Young didn't join them on stage until 20 minutes into the set, but I wonder if it was to appease David Crosby who did an interview for the documentary.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
According to the PBS Documentary, it was CSN at Woodstock.
The clips and printed material that PBS showed only had CSN.
Even the introduction by Chip Mounk said "Please welcome Crosby, Stills, Nash"

Fake News

I don't know why PBS left out Neil Young, but it was not an overnight, as they edited Chip's introduction, which was "Please welcome Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young". Yes, Neil Young didn't join them on stage until 20 minutes into the set, but I wonder if it was to appease David Crosby who did an interview for the documentary.
I've heard a variety of stories about why Neil Young did not appear in the 1970 film. One story stays that he refused to sign the release to appear in the film (since the musicians wouldn't be paid for the film appearance). Another story is that he got into a spat with a camera man on stage, and in retribution then edited him out of the movie. But now it is being reported that movie is being re-edited and re-released, and Neil Young will appears in the new edit.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Interesting. Thanks. Still, surprised that PBS went so far as to edit Mounk's into. Poor journalism. Would have been better if they just didn't play Chip's introduction.

Edit: Been a long time since I've seen the film. Was Young's name edited out of the film? (and PBS used that) IIRC he's on the 1969 record.

Last edited by Tony T; 08-19-2019 at 05:41 PM.