Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 10:14 AM

Any SRAM aficionados here? Seeking help......

So I recently got a "new to me" Stigmata 3 and built it with a SRAM Rival AXS 'wide' group. I mistakenly thought that I'd be able to get the thing geared enough to be able to use it on the road but after about 300 miles I'm learning I'm severely undergeared and need help finding solution.

So AXS wide group I got came with 43/30 with 36-10 cassette, and there are no aftermarket chainrings that fit that particular crank.

After a couple of days of research.......the only alternative I've found is a Praxis crank which "claims" it works with wide group but big ring on that new crank only goes up to 48T.

Even though SRAM told me 43/30 is only setup that works (even though Praxis says their crank 'will' work) will those 5 extra teeth make that big of difference???

Thanks for any insight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sram feedback.jpg (46.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-05-03 080750.jpg (46.0 KB, 124 views)
Old Today, 10:26 AM
Meh

Since the 43/30 is a DUB crankset, my advice is to just get one of the bigger AXS DUB road cranksets - like the 46/33 - and swap out the 43/30. The only thing that makes the rear derailleur "wide" is the larger cage, and the only thing that makes the crankset "wide" is a slightly longer spindle to move the chainline out a tad. The only thing you will need to adjust is different spacers on your BB/crankset when installing it - SRAM has a guide here:

https://docs.sram.com/en-US/publicat...t-spacer-chart

(make sure to scroll past the MTB chart for the road one)

I haven't experimented with smaller cassettes on the "wide" 2x rear derailleur so I am not sure on that one.

I don't really recommend the 50/37 crankset unless you're looking for huge gears - the 50x10 top gear is a monster, a larger gear than a 54x11.
Old Today, 10:28 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

SRAM's 'Wide' is a Crank/spindle/BB/FD specific term as far as I know, the RD has nothing to do with it.

Do you really need the 'Wide' to clear anything on the stigmata or would a regular FD and crank spindle work?

My guess is the wide chainring clearance is required to clear to the chainstay....

Check the compatibility chart here:
https://www.sram.com/globalassets/do...bility-map.pdf

Last edited by kppolich; Today at 10:33 AM.
Old Today, 10:29 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Wide is a Crank/spindle/FD specific term as far as I know, the RD has nothing to do with it.

Do you really need the 'Wide' or would a regular FD and crank spindle work?
Jinx
Old Today, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I don't really recommend the 50/37 crankset unless you're looking for huge gears - the 50x10 top gear is a monster, a larger gear than a 54x11.
I had to re-train my brain on chainring size after moving to 10t cassettes. Seeing anything below 52 is a mindbender at first.
Old Today, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Since the 43/30 is a DUB crankset, my advice is to just get one of the bigger AXS DUB road cranksets - like the 46/33 - and swap out the 43/30. The only thing that makes the rear derailleur "wide" is the larger cage, and the only thing that makes the crankset "wide" is a slightly longer spindle to move the chainline out a tad. The only thing you will need to adjust is different spacers on your BB/crankset when installing it - SRAM has a guide here:

https://docs.sram.com/en-US/publicat...t-spacer-chart

(make sure to scroll past the MTB chart for the road one)

I haven't experimented with smaller cassettes on the "wide" 2x rear derailleur so I am not sure on that one.

Great, great info here. THank you so much for sharing.

It's my understanding that the wide group was created to accomodate larger tires like 650B or 400x50.....i don't ever see myself going THAT big a tire. In addtition to tire size, the other reason for smaller chainring is to not interfere with rear chainstay.......but I feel there is plenty of room to accomodate a dub crankset with 46 like you mentioned OR the Praxis that comes with 48.

Here is a pic of how much room I have between big chain ring and my rear chain stray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chainring.jpg (87.5 KB, 96 views)
Old Today, 11:08 AM

There are multiple options for "wide" cranks, some more expensive than others. The Praxis Alba-GR you mention is just one "wide" crank available. Although the standard configurations for the Alba-GR uses 48/32, the spider on this crank appears to use Praxis's Levatime 2 chainrings, which come in other sizes as well, including 48/32, 50/34, 52/36, and 53/39. The spider on the Alba-GR crank is removable, and the crank can use other 3-bolt (SRAM) spiders. 3-bolt spiders are available in a variety of different BCDs, including 130mm, 110mm 5 arm, 110mm 4 arm, 110mm/74mm, and 104mm/64mm which would allow a variety of other size chainrings, including chainrings as large as 60 tooth, and as small as 22 tooth.
Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quote:
...The only thing you will need to adjust is different spacers on your BB/crankset when installing it - SRAM has a guide here:
The Wide FD is different as well.

What I don't know is if it has enough adjustability to work with non-Wide chainring spacing?
Old Today, 11:30 AM

And yes, the 30-43 is just a tiny bit too low for fast group rides.

I have the 33-46 on my all-road bike with a 10-33 cassette.

And the gravel bike has the 30-43 with a 10-36.

Both are Force cranks - normal width for all-road, Wide for the gravel - with matching FDs.
Old Today, 11:36 AM

Thanks to the two or three of you who've responded.

My main question is should I be concerned that when I spoke with SRAM support they said the 43-30 is the "only crank that will work" ??
Old Today, 11:42 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Thanks to the two or three of you who've responded.

My main question is should I be concerned that when I spoke with SRAM support they said the 43-30 is the "only crank that will work" ??
I think Alistair is right, I forgot about the "wide" FD being more outboard. I'm unsure if the 46/33 non-wide crankset will shift correctly with this FD. Given how finicky and sensitive AXS FDs are, I am going to go with "probably won't work."

That means you will also have to swap the FD to get the 46/33 to work, or use the "wide" Praxis crankset MarkMCM and others discussed above.
Old Today, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think Alistair is right, I forgot about the "wide" FD being more outboard. I'm unsure if the 46/33 non-wide crankset will shift correctly with this FD. Given how finicky and sensitive AXS FDs are, I am going to go with "probably won't work."

That means you will also have to swap the FD to get the 46/33 to work, or use the "wide" Praxis crankset MarkMCM and others discussed above.
Sram says the Wide is 2.5mm wider chainline. Wouldn't a 2.5mm spacer on the DS crank or bb push the rings out to match the Wide FD?
Since it is DUB, it'll be a straight 29mm spindle, so no NDS clamping concerns.

Actually you mentioned this previously.
Old Today, 11:52 AM

Not sure about this particular setup - but sram is the habit of saying only their stuff works and nothing else.
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Sram says the Wide is 2.5mm wider chainline. Wouldn't a 2.5mm spacer on the DS crank or bb push the rings out to match the Wide FD?

Actually you mentioned this previously.
Yes, but I believe the spindle on the wide crankset is slightly longer to accommodate this. If you attempt this on the 46/33 I believe you will not have enough spindle.
Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quote:
.........................If you attempt this on the 46/33 I believe you will not have enough spindle.
But the Praxis that is wide specific should work, no ??