Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2023, 12:22 AM
commuter racer

Paul touring brakes on my Zank cx?

So my bike has these brake mounts, but apparently those holes are not required for the Paul brakes? This seems like an imperfect design. Am missing something here? Do these come off my frame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2351.jpg (105.1 KB, 227 views)
Old 08-24-2023, 06:51 AM
n - 1

They’re not used on Paul brakes (or Avid Ult). You can’t remove them but the brakes will still work just fine.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
So my bike has these brake mounts, but apparently those holes are not required for the Paul brakes? This seems like an imperfect design. Am missing something here? Do these come off my frame?
What happens when you thread the post off? This one looks like it (maybe) is two parts and the spring hole plate is not actually fully attached as in other types.

One way to find out.

Last edited by charliedid; 08-24-2023 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:43 AM

I've used frames where the boss, threaded in, is what holds those plates-with-holes in place (they're nestled in a curved notch for position, but the canti boss itself holds it in place). So yeah, unthread your bosses and see if those plates are removeable.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
I've used frames where the boss, threaded in, is what holds those plates-with-holes in place (they're nestled in a curved notch for position, but the canti boss itself holds it in place). So yeah, unthread your bosses and see if those plates are removeable.
My thought exactly
Old 08-24-2023, 07:34 PM

I have exactly the same issue on my Litespeed Blue Ridge. Just installed a set of Paul Minimotos, lovely brakes.

Well, actually, technically the Alpha Q fork on the front of the Litespeed.

On the fork, the boss can be unscrewed and that plate removed...but then you need a fairly thick washer to replace the plate. Take the plate to a hardware store and match up the thickness...or use a caliper to measure and buy a nice Ti washer on the interwebs.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 08-24-2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 07:25 AM

I have those on a Serotta Concours Cross. They do come off, but I left them on with my Minimotos so I wouldn’t have to keep up with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2023, 07:59 AM

It's a perfect design for the brakes that are designed to use the plates though. The little holes are there so you can adjust the spring tension that pulls the brake arms back from the rims. The Pauls have a sealed pivoting mechanism and you can just ignore the plates.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:03 AM
Randomhead

Paul brakes cover up those washers though, don't they? Paragon used to sell bosses for Paul brakes so you didn't have to use the washers. I don't think they sell them any more, nobody has bought bosses for many years.

Paragon would make you some, but there is a minimum order quantity which might make it uneconomic.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:13 AM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's a perfect design for the brakes that are designed to use the plates though. The little holes are there so you can adjust the spring tension that pulls the brake arms back from the rims. The Pauls have a sealed pivoting mechanism and you can just ignore the plates.
I kinda miss the ease of setting the tension that those holes provide for traditional cantis. The Paul design—however MUSA blingy it may be—is a bit finicky, resulting in occasionally mangled springs if overtorqued. In fact the springs work fine even if slightly distorted, but that goes against the whole idea of a precise setup. It can also mean bringing another tool in the bag.

And I wish Paul would make a fork mount funky monkey.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:53 PM
commuter racer

Hey thanks for all the help, I wasn't really clear w/ my question, (sorry). I'm glad to know this disc with holes can be removed for the Paul brakes, it looked really weird when I mocked it up. I'm temporarily using my older Cane Creek brakes for a while. I just got my bike back form the shop and am so happy with how it rides with a new 11 speed Chorus group.