Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Administrator

best generation of campy brakes?

i am about to build a bike that will not be matchy matchy, so...

from a performance standpoint (not aesthetics, not weight) - if you had to pick ANY generation or group level of campagnolo brakes, which would you choose?

my initial inclination would be these, but open to thoughts.....

Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 PM

To be honest im not sure I've used a modern campagnolo brake that I can 100% say is better than any other modern campagnolo brake.

To put it squarely if I was blind folded I would not be able to tell you which brake im riding. Whether thats a SR skeleton brake or a centaur brake.

I would choose based on what you think looks best and fits your clearance needs.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

I am with you, I do not notice different btw the ones you pictured and skeleton so I would pick the ones you think look better. Personally I am a fan of skeleton so that is what I would pick.

Also, only dual pivot in my life so that are to me the best campy brakes... skeleton, dual pivot. The new potenzas even fit shimano pads which is also a plus to me because my other brake sets are either shimano or EE brakes which take shimano pads.

So my pick is new Potenza....

They cost $60. Dual pivot. Skeleton. Shimano pads. BOOM. Ok, they are a bit heavy compared to EEs but not that heavy compared to SR $300 brakes.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 PM

You've pretty much got the pinnacle in that pic, IMO.

Single pivot rear for better modulation (although certainly more of a hassle to center). Campy's engineers decided to forfeit a bit of absolute braking power to get better control.

The subsequent model Skeletons are beautiful, but difficult to clean and only minimally lighter. And don't brake any better.

And of course... black.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Kind of OK

I switched from skellies back to 10sp Records after riding a set of 10sp Chorus brakes that 'Old Potatoe sold me for my Chicane. Rode them side by side and the 10sp are noticeably stiffer.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
You've pretty much got the pinnacle in that pic, IMO.

Single pivot rear for better modulation (although certainly more of a hassle to center). Campy's engineers decided to forfeit a bit of absolute braking power to get better control.

The subsequent model Skeletons are beautiful, but difficult to clean and only minimally lighter. And don't brake any better.

And of course... black.
I agree with the cleaning part. They are substantially lighter.

As far as single vs dual, I much prefer dual. More power, much easier to center... no need of a tool to center so when the brake gets uncentered, which in a single pivot happens a lot (at least to me), you don't need to have a tool. I don't think modulation is any better either. You save a tiny bit of weight.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Depends on how much tire clearance you need. Pre skeleton if you're running 23s or 25s. Skeleton and later gen if you're looking for 28s.

I would say if you're looking beyond Campy-made, the Mavic SSCs are really hard to beat.

Last edited by FlashUNC; 01-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 AM

Chorus dual pivot with rim-specific blue pads on Shamal Mille wheels is the best rim brake combination I've used. That said I haven't tried all combinations and don't ride those rims in the rain by choice.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Very Best anti lock brake made and ohhhh so pretty..

5 pinot, last gen..dreamy..but gotta set them up right.

NOT entirely kidding...on my Merckx, work great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2752062401_615f6b9a88_z.jpg (37.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:56 AM

I had the first Record dual pivot brakes from the 1990s. They were the best I used. Very stiff calipers which allow for great modulation. They weren’t weight weenie brakes at all and I kind of think subsequent evolutionary versions of Record brakes gave up braking performance in search of lightweight bragging rights.

That is my $.02 and I’m sticking to it. They were equal to the best brakes I’ve ever used.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 AM

The Centaur brakes I have on my Quiring never cease to amaze me with their modulation and power. They almost feel like hydraulic discs at times to be honest.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I had the first Record dual pivot brakes from the 1990s. They were the best I used. Very stiff calipers which allow for great modulation. They weren’t weight weenie brakes at all and I kind of think subsequent evolutionary versions of Record brakes gave up braking performance in search of lightweight bragging rights.

That is my $.02 and I’m sticking to it. They were equal to the best brakes I’ve ever used.
I agree with this 100%. I still have a pair.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

Add another vote for the original Record Dual Pivots.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 AM

I think they all work better than needed, Id go with new records or potenzas. the potenzas i seem to recal having more clearances...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM
but not really

All my Campy 10 and 11 speed bikes run Shimano 6800 calipers. Work well, great clearance, inexpensive, plenty of pad choices, and so far, no one has stopped me for having Shimano brakes with a Campy drivetrain.