Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 01:16 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Anyone rockin Oakley Sutros?

How are they holding up? Len is fixed, so durability and scratch resistance things I'd be interested in hearing about...

Also, performance with contact lens??
Old 04-02-2023, 09:03 AM

Not sure where you're reading, the lenses are replaceable, but also cost too much. Just buy multiple pairs.

Lens performance is best I've experienced for cycling and driving, they got their lens tech down pretty good in terms of filtering the right colors to make potholes and stuff stand out. Not sure how to judge scratch resistance as I don't have any, but I wouldn't expect any polycarbonate lens to perform any differently than others.

Last edited by rice rocket; 04-02-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:56 PM

Haven't tried them, but they always appeared to me to too big up along top where the frame might be hitting my helmet.

I guess though Mahomes doesn't wear his helmet when sporting these though.

Old 04-02-2023, 01:01 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Thanks...

Are the Prism Black too dark for tree shade and mixes overcast VS the Prism Road??

Last edited by robt57; 04-02-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:57 PM

The full frame versions don't have any rubber on the ear pieces, and I have heard some people complaining that they literally slipped off their face.

They added rubber to the arms of the Sutro Lite.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Thanks...

Are the Prism Black too dark for tree shade and mixes overcast VS the Prism Road??
I would recommend Prism Road - I think the Prism Black is pretty dark. If you look at their website they have a % of light allowed. I have Sutro Lights with the red Prism Road (20% light allowed) and it’s fine for me.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:21 AM

Super lightweight, I love them right up until I put on my helmet when I relearn how my head/face are all wrong for these glasses. The helmet pushes down on the top of the frame and puts too much pressure on my nose making them uncomfortable, but yet not so much pressure that they don't fly off my face when looking behind to see if the coast is clear whilst at speed.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Haven't tried them, but they always appeared to me to too big up along top where the frame might be hitting my helmet. [/IMG]
There is a Sutro S model that is a smaller version of the regular Sutro model if you are worried about it being too tall. There is also a low bridge fit version that might be a better fit for you. I have a narrow face and the Sutro S fit me the best.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumablk View Post
There is a Sutro S model that is a smaller version of the regular Sutro model if you are worried about it being too tall. There is also a low bridge fit version that might be a better fit for you. I have a narrow face and the Sutro S fit me the best.
I have both Sutro and Sutro S and they are my favorite glasses. Like Pumablk said, if you can, try both. I got the S version after having the bigger ones and definitely prefer them.

Both standard and "S" have a really nice, large field of vision, relatively thin arms, and stay planted on your face without fogging.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:59 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Sutro Lite user here. White/Prizm and they are fantastic for fit under a helmet for me.
Sup!

Last edited by kppolich; 04-03-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:12 PM

I love my Sutro Lites! Holding up great so far (since Black Friday!). I do have a few small scratches on the lenses, but they also survived a crash. Not at all noticeable when riding, though.

I have the Sapphire (I think) lenses and they are awesome. Not too dark, and they make colors super vivid. Also no issues with them hitting my helmet or falling off my face.

Not sure what you mean about performance with contact lenses, but I wear contacts and the glasses and contacts both work the same . . .
Old 04-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Deconditioned!

I have the Sutro Lite Sweep (vented). That's a mouthful.

I really like them. My lense is the prizm trail. It works great on all but the brightest of days. Then, I use another, darker, lens.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:19 PM

I have a pair of these with the funky purple green old-school looking holographic color and really like them. Here's what Oakley calls them.

https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product...t=888392560186

Anyway, they work great and I have no complaints to date. As a reference point I have 3 or 4 pairs of Jawbreakers with a handful of lenses that I rotate. Both work fine with my Lazer and Kask helmets.

My one issue beyond scratched lenses with Oakley is the metal nose piece that sits inside the lens. These can sometimes get corroded and snap. Hasn't happened with this pair and I've been trying to head this off by washing after ever ride but it's worth mentioning as Oakley doesn't do **** to stand behind their products ime. I get that I don't have to buy them but they work so I just deal with the fact that every couple of years I'll need a new set of shades and then try to find a sale.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:30 AM

I have a pair with prism black lenses. I’m pretty happy with their durability, I’ve dropped them a few times and I can only find one small scratch on the lens. They can slide forward sometimes so the rubber grippers on the Lite version would be an upgrade.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:15 AM

I use the Sutro's as my go to for riding. I like them for road and off road. The prism road lenses brighten up the surroundings in the right way and make them a bit more vivid. They are comfortable to wear on my large head. Never had any issues with fit or have them fly off on a rough off road descent.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 04-04-2023 at 05:18 AM.