Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2023, 02:12 PM

Issues with Syntace hanger

Hi,

I had my Merlin in for service at my local bike shop. The mechanic seems extremely knowledgeable and they did a great job dialing in my bike (Shimano Di2) but he went off on the Syntace dropouts/derailer hangar. Type 1 Hanger I believe.

https://www.performancebike.com/synt...UaAjelEALw_wcB

He told me it is impossible to secure the hanger in place based on the design and one bad shift or any extra tension in that area will put the hangar out of alignment. Is this a valid concern/opinion?

Also, I notice my axle is not a Syntace X-12 axle so I purchased one. Perhaps this provides the durability? Should I swap my axle. Does it matter? See attached pictures of hanger, current axle and new axle.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hanger.jpg (89.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Hub.jpg (95.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Axle.jpg (149.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:50 AM

Wow never heard that before….interesting…
Old 04-01-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsisle02 View Post
(...) He told me it is impossible to secure the hanger in place based on the design and one bad shift or any extra tension in that area will put the hangar out of alignment. Is this a valid concern/opinion? (...)
I don't have a Syntace Type 1 Standard hanger handy, but the internet is an amazing place...

The Syntace Type 1 product page here:
https://www.syntace.com/en_GB/produc...-typ1-standard

links to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6mgCcxC59Y&t=1s

The hanger screws into a broad flat surface on the dropout. A pin on the hanger fits into a compatible pocket on the dropout to keep the hanger from rotating around the screw.

Unless there is too much play in the fit between the screw and dropout or the pin and pocket, I don't see how the hanger can move in any axis. If there is play at the screw, maybe the wrong screw is being used.

Last edited by dgauthier; 04-01-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:27 AM
Road connoisseur

I agree with the points made by @dgauthier. The only way I can conceive of the hanger moving in the Syntace design is if the fit tolerance between the pin on the hanger and the hole in the dropper proper was poor. This certainly hasn’t been the case with the Paragon manufactured versions I have used.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:28 AM

So many of the frame builders are using this setup that I find it hard to believe it’s an actual issue. My Bishop, English and Speedvagen all use this setup and I’ve never had an issue with them coming loose or out of alignment.

PS you can get a direct mount version of the hanger which, if nothing else, looks a lot cleaner than using the B-link.

Last edited by Kyle h; 04-02-2023 at 08:32 AM.