Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2023, 07:30 PM

Ultrasonic cleaners

So I'm thinking about dipping my chains into hot wax and that has me thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner. (The things you can do when you're retired...) I'm not keen on spending > $200 on one of the "recommended" ultrasonic units, (another retirement issue.) Does anyone have experience with one of the cheaper Amazon jewelry ultrasonic cleaners? Will they manage chains?

Steve
Old 03-30-2023, 07:36 PM

I got this years ago.
Used it about twice. Still have to scrub. Has been sitting idle for years.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00AXEB6BA/...00_TE_3p_dp_i1
Old 03-30-2023, 08:37 PM

Got this from Harbor Freight……..using a citrus based cleaner 50-50 with water, might take 2 5 minute cycles to get chains or cassettes spotless. Bear in mind, I’m a bit of a clean freak so my gear never gets really grungy. Still, nice to be able to drop it in the tank, push the timer, and it’s done.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html
Old 03-30-2023, 08:52 PM

I have one of those small plastic jewelry cleaner ones and it doesnt work as well as the larger ones. Plus u can put more in it. I would get a slightly nicer one, something like this:
VEVOR Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner, Easy to Use with Digital Timer & Heater, Stainless Steel Industrial Machine for Parts, 110V, FCC/CE/RoHS Certified (3L) https://a.co/d/g7nCT0z

Depending on what I'm cleaning and how dirty it is, I boil water on the stove and dump it in the cleaner with regular dish soap. Run it for 15-20 min and repeat with clean water if it's something super greasy. Also helps to degrease and wipe off really greasy parts first.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
So I'm thinking about dipping my chains into hot wax and that has me thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner. (The things you can do when you're retired...) I'm not keen on spending > $200 on one of the "recommended" ultrasonic units, (another retirement issue.) Does anyone have experience with one of the cheaper Amazon jewelry ultrasonic cleaners? Will they manage chains?

Steve
I was thinking about doing this when I started waxing my chains this year. I watch the video by the guy from Silca, Josh. He talked about them, and said the difference between the clean you got with one of the better ones and the clean you got shaking the chain in a jar of solvent wasn't worth the trouble. Another few percent cleaner. So I used the money I saved on the cleaner to buy a couple of jars of Cookie Butter to put the solvent in. Luckily, I had to empty them first.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:29 AM

I wouldn’t bother if you don’t want to invest is a nicer USC. A bottle of UFO Clean, a peanut butter jar, boiled water and some denatured alcohol is all you need.

Now if you think you’ll use an USC for cassettes or multiple chains, I’d invest in the recommended clean from Silca.

Look up Zero Friction Cycling’s concise clean instructions with the items listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2023, 12:42 AM

In my experience, USC's seem like they're going to effortlessly make all our parts perfectly clean; but they don't work miracles There's still "work" involved. Mine has been sitting on our balcony since 2021 and it's full of wax/cleaner gunk. I still kind of believe that it could be useful, but might have saved the $100 if someone told me that scrubbing worked just as well.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:59 AM

I’ve been waxing for years and have had an usc since the start. Really the best use is for the I igual degreasing of new chains. The grease they come packed with is nasty and the usc is the best way to start fresh. Once my chains are initially stripped, I usually just do a shake in a denatured alcohol bath in a bottle before a subsequent waxing. If you only use waxed chains, it will be overkill but I’ve had more than a few trips where I’ve gotten caught out in the rain and between that and large miles I’ve had to supplement with temporarily using chain lube and it’s nice to be able to easily strip grease when needed. I haven’t ever had to scrub after use, maybe people are just not using the right products. I do a 4:1 mix of water to the purple Simple Green Pro HD (which is safe for aluminum pieces) and do a max of 20min clean. A quick wipe down after that and it’s good to go.

Last edited by Kyle h; 03-31-2023 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:03 AM

I've also had mixed success with USC, both the mini Harbor Freight version and larger commercial unit. They're okay, but I think there's a better chemical way to get chains clean for waxing.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post

Steve
I bought a lower end one at Amazon and the heat function stopped working pretty early on so if you are going to get one...

BUT, they didn't clean as well as a tub of hot water, simple green and a scrub brush..
Old 03-31-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I was thinking about doing this when I started waxing my chains this year. I watch the video by the guy from Silca, Josh. He talked about them, and said the difference between the clean you got with one of the better ones and the clean you got shaking the chain in a jar of solvent wasn't worth the trouble. Another few percent cleaner. So I used the money I saved on the cleaner to buy a couple of jars of Cookie Butter to put the solvent in. Luckily, I had to empty them first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I bought a lower end one at Amazon and the heat function stopped working pretty early on so if you are going to get one...

BUT, they didn't clean as well as a tub of hot water, simple green and a scrub brush..
Thanks!

Another item to scratch off of my list of ‘things I really should buy’…
Old 03-31-2023, 07:36 AM

Pass on the ultrasonic cleaner. Start with all new chains, UFO clean to degrease the new chains, then hot wax.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:11 AM

I got an ultrasonic cleaner, and really like it. Not just for chains, but lots of other bike parts, from cassettes to bottle cages to derailleurs. But yeah, it won't take an old dirty chain and make it spotless.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:25 AM
Vendor

Here's a video we did on this back in covid days.. I bought 7 or 8 USC's on Amazon and did a shootout.. most didn't work very well, the recommended one was both inexpensive and works great. There is a huge range of heating and US power in these inexpensive models but some of them were quite good.

https://youtu.be/ka0DLKBrhB4
Old 03-31-2023, 08:30 AM

I have a relatively cheap US cleaner, and I'm thinking that it's not at all necessary for waxing. If you're starting with a new chain, an ultrasonic cleaner definitely isn't necessary to get any dirt out of the chain, because there isn't any. Soaking and agitating the chain in degreaser is what you need to do, and gatorade bottles (or whatever bottle; probably glass if you're using mineral spirits) are enough for that.

I recently had this illustrated with a Campy SR chain. I did my usual bottle routine with degreaser, but the chain was still a bit waxy. I just couldn't get the last bit off. I fired up the ultrasonic cleaner, but still no effect. Eventually I tried mineral spirits in a glass jar. That was what got the grease off. Didn't need the ultrasonic. The previous Dura Ace chain was fine with just degreaser, so I assume that Shimano's factory lubricant is a bit easier to break down than Campy's or SRAM's.