Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2023, 07:05 PM

Best way to carry a camera on a bike

I want to start carrying a point and shoot around on bike rides; one that is just small enough to fit in a jersey pocket, but will be tight there. Pondering where the best place to carry it is and thought I'd consult the wisdom here. It's a nice enough camera that I want to take good care of it, but sturdy enough that it can take a few knocks. So far I have:

Jersey pocket - Pros: free, easy solution, secure from impacts, I usually have room there. Cons: Don't like the idea of all the sweat in the camera, will probably be a bit uncomfortable.

Feed bag - Pros: easy, reachable, seems safe. Cons: one more thing to attach to my bike and switch bikes, I'm afraid it might keep knocking on the headtube.

3 point strap - Pros: secure, attached to the camera not the bike, I get to look cool. Cons: probably not the most comfortable in a long ride, I get to look dumb.

Thoughts? Experiences? I'm leaning towards the feed bag. Will it knock on the headtube when I get off the saddle or ride a rough road? Bar bag is out of the question for now.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:10 PM

Don't know if you'll like this since a handlebar bag is not on your radar but I hacked a handlebar basket mount to work with the tripod screw hole on a camcorder.

I may still have the clamp somewhere. If I can find it I'll post pics.

May be a bit slow to unscrew when you want to grab a pic, but maybe an idea for a tripod style quick release.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Do you need two water bottles? If not, hack something to get a small camera to either fit in a cut-off bottle, or create a "camera cage" that picks up the two ST mount points. If that doesn't work, there are tons of clamps out there that you can put on the ST then figure out a way to connect them to the camera.

(I've never done this so it's just random brain-storming.)
Old 03-27-2023, 08:27 PM

Top tube bag?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Top tube bag?
Could be the move
Old 03-27-2023, 08:30 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Top tube bag?
Or how about something like this at the corner of the ST and TT?

Old 03-27-2023, 08:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

More:

https://www.wheatridgecyclery.com/pr...-bag-16059.htm
Old 03-27-2023, 08:46 PM

Appreciate all the input.

I'm still leaning towards a stem bag, think the move may be to find a good secure option. I like the frame wedge idea generally, but wouldn't do it for the camera, I'd be afraid it'd bounce around too much in there.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:02 PM
n - 1

Top tube bag would be my pick. Something like a Revelate Designs Gas Tank.

Semi tangent, but I’ve always wanted a small camera (like a tiny Go Pro Hero Sessions) that I could mount to the handlebar via mag mount or quad lock. When I’m riding, I hate stopping, getting out the cell phone for pictures. Ideally, I’d just like to reach down, grab the camera, and snap a couple pictures while riding.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 PM

Thinking about the jersey pocket option, camera in a zip loc bag to protect it from sweat?
Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 PM

K-Edge does have this mount too:
https://www.chainreaction.com/produc...0-255718-1.htm
Old 03-28-2023, 08:10 AM
slower than you

I carry a Fuji XE4 with a pancake lens in, gulp, a fanny pack.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:22 AM

Depends on the size and value of the camera.

I sometimes carry an Olympus mirrorless with a compact prime lens attached.

I've tried...
- cross-body strap. Works ok for short periods of time, but I didn't like it for whole rides.

- regular strap, with camera in jersey pocket. Easy access, doesn't bounce around, but as you noted, it can get sweaty.

- feedbag (mounted at intersection of bar and stem). Worked ok, but the camera was a hair large, so it could be awkward to get out quickly.

- partial frame bag (HT/TT/DT junction). Easy access, but felt like the camera bounced around more.

- bar bag (in front) - probably the best compromise.

These days, I usually just use my iPhone. I splurged on the Pro model for just this reason. I only bring the "real" camera out for rides I know will be especially scenic. And even then, I might not bother. Mid-day rides outdoors, the iPhone does well enough for social media. It's the low-light, high-speed subject photos where the stand-alone makes a huge difference, but I tend not to run into those situations on the bike.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Appreciate all the input.

I'm still leaning towards a stem bag, think the move may be to find a good secure option. I like the frame wedge idea generally, but wouldn't do it for the camera, I'd be afraid it'd bounce around too much in there.
Since I know nothing about photography, and maybe others would like to know…what does a ‘point and shoot’ camera do that any modern phone camera does not do? Not looking to argue but I have a Canon P&S camera and my phone is way easier to use and takes picture of compatible quality for my eyeballs.

For right below, thanks....

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-29-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Depends on the size and value of the camera.

I sometimes carry an Olympus mirrorless with a compact prime lens attached.

I've tried...
- cross-body strap. Works ok for short periods of time, but I didn't like it for whole rides.

- regular strap, with camera in jersey pocket. Easy access, doesn't bounce around, but as you noted, it can get sweaty.

- feedbag (mounted at intersection of bar and stem). Worked ok, but the camera was a hair large, so it could be awkward to get out quickly.

- partial frame bag (HT/TT/DT junction). Easy access, but felt like the camera bounced around more.

- bar bag (in front) - probably the best compromise.
Interesting input. To clarify, we're talking about a Ricoh GR3. With this in mind, I think the feedbag is looking more and more like the best solution. Bonus points to the fact that I can probably make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Since I know nothing about photography, and maybe others would like to know…what does a ‘point and shoot’ camera do that any modern phone camera does not do? Not looking to argue but I have a Canon P&S camera and my phone is way easier to use and takes picture of compatible quality for my eyeballs.
To be fair, we are talking about probably the highest end point and shoot on the market.

While my iPhone 13 takes great pictures, they're just not comparable to an actual camera for me. While pure image quality and clearness may be comparable for most intents and purposes, a camera proper gives me more settings play around with and get the image I want. Say I want more or less speed blur, can't really do that too easy on iPhone.

Also, can't compare portrait quality. I like to take pictures of my friends when riding and phones just haven't caught up in that field.