Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 12:34 PM

Miami Beach?

Howdy. Work is sending me down to Miami Beach in April, and I thought it would be fun to bring the bike, since I'll have some downtime.

I was looking at a route from Miami Beach down to Key Biscayne... But it seems that every route wants to take you down Route 1 which frankly looks suicidal to me.

Maybe I should be looking at routes that go north of Miami Beach, rather than south to the key?

Would love any ideas on if there's a great cycling route starting on Miami Beach - or if it's just not a good idea to cycle in Miami, period! Thank you.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:36 PM

Miami definitely has had a HUGE growth in cycling and there's plenty of groups and people riding, just not a huge variety of routes. Getting some Key Biscayne loops in, is probably your best and easiest bet if you're there during the week. Heading north puts you on A1A which is rideable, but definitely gets crowded and hectic down there, and you're in traffic for most of it.

The best bridge on and off Miami Beach is the Venetian Causeway, it has a full protected bike lane in both directions. You just run down Biscayne Blvd over to the Rickenbacker causeway for Key Biscayne and you're ready for laps. There are usually plenty of cyclists running through there in the morning, and while it's urban riding to get between the Venetian and the to Rickenbacker, it's 100% better than heading north on A1A.

I'm headed down to Florida tomorrow for a few weeks and will be in Miami for at least one of the weekends in April, but we're the other direction in Coral Gables.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:49 PM

Thanks, super helpful.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Following.

We went to key west a few years ago, flew into miami and drove down. Initially, i had wanted to take my bike and let my wife do the drive and I would meet her down there, but for whatever reason, i abandoned that plan. Driving those bridges made riding a bike that way seem unpleasant, but I dont know.

A motorcycle would probably be a better choice.

I dont know if you are a member of Vsalon, but user MattStrongin (or something like that) is a south florida guy who logs mega mega miles and his ride photos always look good to me, so there is definitely some good riding to be had.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 PM

We have visited Miami Beach multiple times, and I enjoy being there, but I have never seen a place that looked worse for bicycle riding.
There is massive traffic everywhere and the worst, most aggressive driving I have ever seen.
I'm sure there is good riding somewhere down there but it's not obvious to this casual visitor.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:00 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
We have visited Miami Beach multiple times, and I enjoy being there, but I have never seen a place that looked worse for bicycle riding.
There is massive traffic everywhere and the worst, most aggressive driving I have ever seen.
I'm sure there is good riding somewhere down there but it's not obvious to this casual visitor.
Concur. I've been to MB a few times. I'm a dude that loves ridding his bike. I would never think to ride a bike there. Too many cars. Too many people. And sand. Pass.

I'd just do hotel room yoga, walk on the beach, and eat at News Cafe.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:53 AM

Nice …enjoy
Old 04-01-2023, 11:28 AM

Run on the beach, enjoy the views whether ocean or human....
Old 04-01-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman1440 View Post
Nice …enjoy
you looking to buy or sell?
Old 04-05-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
you looking to buy or sell?
Sell apparently. Wow. Nice. Interesting. Thanks for the info. Cool.
I think he has “credit” for 7 posts. Almost there.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:03 PM

I just got back from a week in north miami beach and there's a big cycling scene around collins/a1a. Plenty of groups riding daily in the right lane which is marked for sharing. I would not call it anything close to cycling friendly, but def doable. It's mainly flat and very pretty, plus you get at least one supercar at every red light. Probably best to keep this reserved for early weekends.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:10 PM

Oleta River recreational area has a decent mountain biking area.
I would look into snorking where else can you a 25 foot manta ray stone's throw from downtown. I personally park my car near bay harbor island and just jump in.

John Lennon