Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 11:22 AM

For you Campy-philes:

Exclusive! Campagnolo is definitely going wireless and ditching thumb levers… and these pictures prove it

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/ex...ireless-299929
Old 03-14-2023, 11:50 AM

There are many benefits to wireless. Spudly just can't help himself with the same old "no-functional difference line".

I remember the first VCR my parents bought when I was a kid. It had a wired remote. NO FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE from today's wireless remote controls, but try and find any electronic with a wired remote today......

There are build advantages, there are aesthetic advantages, potential performance advantages, maintenance advantages, bicycle and component design advantages.

Had Campy done it first, I guarantee he wouldn't be singing this same tired old line. It is because Sram did it. And we can't give them any credit for anything.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
There are many benefits to wireless. Spudly just can't help himself with the same old "no-functional difference line".

I remember the first VCR my parents bought when I was a kid. It had a wired remote. NO FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE from today's wireless remote controls, but try and find any electronic with a wired remote today......
That's a terrible analogy. A wireless VCR remote allows someone to freely move around the room, and still operate the VCR. Is there any useful purpose to be able shift remotely from the bicycle? No. The shifter is always on the handlebar, and handlebar is always attached to the bicycle.

[QUOTE}There are build advantages, there are aesthetic advantages, potential performance advantages, maintenance advantages, bicycle and component design advantages. [/QUOTE]

I'll accept that there are aesthetic advantages, and possibly maintenance advantages, but what possible performance advantages are there? Wires have zero drag and little mass (and any mass they do have is offset by the need to add extra batteries, transmitters and receivers).

Quote:
It is because Sram did it. And we can't give them any credit for anything.
You give SRAM too much credit. They missed being the first with wireless shifting by about 20 years. The first commercially available wireless shifting system was the Mavic Mektronic system, in 1997.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:40 PM

I'm all for some campy wireless action but I gotta say I'm gonna miss that thumb lever. My biggest concern, however, is will I be able to afford it and will there still be RB wheel support?

Edit: looks like yes on RB support.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:44 PM

Wireless shifting with mineral oil brakes and compact hoods? This is the most exciting thing Campy has come out with in a long time.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Campagnolo is definitely going wireless and ditching thumb levers… and these pictures prove it
If you're going the two-lever-per-shifter route, you might as well buy Shimano.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I really doubt Campagnolo will go wireless. Afterall, functionally, it does nothing that a wired electronic group doesn't do. .
I realize this is niche as it gets, but I have been waiting for the chance to go wireless on my S&S bike. No cables to screw with? Yes, please.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:06 PM

I'd definitely go for a a more elegant wireless group than sram...the aesthetics and giant hoodsd are what kept me away
Old 03-14-2023, 01:30 PM
Deconditioned!

Dang. I was hoping they'd just keep the thumb position so that the new group would shift like "Campy". This, if accurate, means that my Campy buying days may officially be over....rim brake coverage or not.

The 12s mech groups may be the last Campy group I ever buy. Campy's ergos have always been my preference...including the 10s stuff. This new stuff, not so much. Also, it'll likely push a group to well over $4k...maybe even brushing $5k. No thanks.

Sorry (not really) to say, but for wireless, electronic shifting, Sram's shift logic and one paddle gets my vote (and dollars).
Old 03-14-2023, 01:47 PM

Are there any speculations on improved disc brake technology? Apologies if I missed it.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Dang. I was hoping they'd just keep the thumb position so that the new group would shift like "Campy". This, if accurate, means that my Campy buying days may officially be over....rim brake coverage or not.

The 12s mech groups may be the last Campy group I ever buy. Campy's ergos have always been my preference...including the 10s stuff. This new stuff, not so much. Also, it'll likely push a group to well over $4k...maybe even brushing $5k. No thanks.

Sorry (not really) to say, but for wireless, electronic shifting, Sram's shift logic and one paddle gets my vote (and dollars).
If Campagnolo continues to make mechanical groups, it is unlikely that they will lose the thumb button. The new configuration with double paddles behind the brake lever is not conducive to mechanical shifting, and indeed the patent that introduced the double paddles only mentioned electronic shifting.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - Di2 and EPS missed the boat when it came to user interface. Both of these had their electronic shifting controls duplicating the ergonomics of their mechanical levers; but electronic shifting removes much of the limitation of where the controls are placed and how they operated, so they missed an opportunity to improve the ergonomics of electronic shifting. Did they think that their users would be confused if the control lever layout didn't match mechanical levers? Riders easily went back and forth between the different layouts of Shimano/Campagnolo/SRAM mechanical shifters, so there's no reason to think they'd have trouble going back and forth between a mechanical and an electronic control layout.* While I'm not a fan of SRAM's "right hand to downshift-left hand to upshift" system, I do applaud them for thinking outside the box. And now Campagnolo appears to have to have dared to switch up their shift control paradigm. (By the way, I say this without bias in regard to electronic shift control layout, as I prefer mechanical shifting and have no plans to switch to electronic.)

*The duplication of mechanical control layout on electronic shifters seems a good illustration of a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote: "A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds"
Old 03-14-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJersey View Post
Are there any speculations on improved disc brake technology? Apologies if I missed it.
Yes, they are going to enlarge the disc rotor, to improve brake leverage and increase surface area for heat dissipation. The new rotors will have a diameter of 622mm. Because the rotor braking surface is so far up the fork and away from the hub, the caliper mounting locations will be moved to the fork crown and the seatstay bridge.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
That's a terrible analogy. A wireless VCR remote allows someone to freely move around the room, and still operate the VCR. Is there any useful purpose to be able shift remotely from the bicycle? No. The shifter is always on the handlebar, and handlebar is always attached to the bicycle.
Well you missed the point entirely. Wireless is almost always preferred in every situation as it opens up more possibilities in how to use something if you aren't tethered down by wires.

But since you mentioned remote shifting on a bicycle - Ever heard of blips, or Di2 REMOTE shifters? Pretty sure the reason these products exist is that some people think remote shifting is useful.

Quote:
You give SRAM too much credit. They missed being the first with wireless shifting by about 20 years. The first commercially available wireless shifting system was the Mavic Mektronic system, in 1997.
Good one. Real zinger. Mektronic is so relevant.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
If Campagnolo continues to make mechanical groups, it is unlikely that they will lose the thumb button. The new configuration with double paddles behind the brake lever is not conducive to mechanical shifting, and indeed the patent that introduced the double paddles only mentioned electronic shifting.
Concur. The thumb button will remain for mech groups.

I'm guessing (with nothing to back it up) that the current generation of the mech groups will be the last. The will be no more advancing the design or support. The most we'll get is that these groups will (hopefully) continue to be produced for a number of years. But no more new groups or development.

If they decide to push to 13s for road, double chain ring groups, that'll be curtains for me....assuming it's also electronic shifting (which will eventually spread through the range. There's no way they go with electronic/wireless for SR and then maintain the current EPS format for lower groups).

I hope I'm way wrong!....and that I've hoarded 12s bits in vain!

Last edited by lavi; 03-14-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Concur. The thumb button will remain for mech groups.

I'm guessing (with nothing to back it up) that the current generation of the mech groups will be the last. The will be no more advancing the design or support. The most we'll get is that these groups will (hopefully) continue to be produced for a number of years. But no more new groups or development.

If they decide to push to 13s for road, double chain ring groups, that'll be curtains for me....assuming it's also electronic shifting (which will eventually spread through the range. There's no way they go with electronic/wireless for SR and then maintain the current EPS format for lower groups).

I hope I'm way wrong!....and that I've hoarded 12s bits in vain!
I hope you are wrong too but then on the other hand I'm kinda ok with the 12 speed Campy groups. My only ask is, just keep making these for the next 20 years and I'm probably fine. The 12 speed, and 11 speed stuff is pretty damn good, imo.