Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2022, 10:00 AM

I don't know if anyone has dealt much with this company, the -house, but I have sent them emails, used FB messenger, and sat on the chat multiple times with no answer. Not the best customer service
Old 12-17-2022, 09:28 PM

They dropped to sub $150 now. Would they at least be safe backed by a retailer and brand like framed? With brass nipples and heavy spoked, they could probably drop 50-70g
Old 12-18-2022, 03:05 PM

This is turning out to be a re-play of the Mavic Allroad rim wheelset deal from two years ago!

Just as then, I initially bought two pair for 299 each, then the priced dropped another 100 to 199 and I bought another, but from a different vendor (Planet).

So I just bought a third(!) pair of the wider 55's, tried to buy two more but they only had one pair left.

They still have i17mm 50's and 35's in stock as of this morning (just two mm narrower than the i19mm 55's).

I'm thinking that these wheels were for OEM use, for models which they suddenly decided to go with disc brakes. Perhaps they were able to avoid having the extra rim-brake frames and brake parts come into inventory and only got "stuck" with these wheels? Might have been the case of ordering a really large # of OEM wheels to hit a lower price point.

Anyway, my first order is due to arrive on Tuesday.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
This is turning out to be a re-play of the Mavic Allroad rim wheelset deal from two years ago!

Just as then, I initially bought two pair for 299 each, then the priced dropped another 100 to 199 and I bought another, but from a different vendor (Planet).

So I just bought a third(!) pair of the wider 55's, tried to buy two more but they only had one pair left.

They still have i17mm 50's and 35's in stock as of this morning (just two mm narrower than the i19mm 55's).

I'm thinking that these wheels were for OEM use, for models which they suddenly decided to go with disc brakes. Perhaps they were able to avoid having the extra rim-brake frames and brake parts come into inventory and only got "stuck" with these wheels? Might have been the case of ordering a really large # of OEM wheels to hit a lower price point.

Anyway, my first order is due to arrive on Tuesday.
wow, you got a third pair! I just missed out. I have been trying all week to find out information. I have been on hold for almost an hour and 15 minutes with the-house.com. looks like you lucked out
Old 12-18-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
wow, you got a third pair! I just missed out. I have been trying all week to find out information. I have been on hold for almost an hour and 15 minutes with the-house.com. looks like you lucked out
It's not luck. That's the nature of crazy deals. If you want to carefully do your research and be 100% sure of what you're getting, talk to the seller, etc. you're going to miss out on most of the great deals out there.

The best deals out there typically involve a little bit of a leap of faith. This can cut both ways--sometimes you get products that you think are a good deal, and turn out not to be. But much of great deal-getting comes down to being willing to pull the trigger quickly, more than anything else.

As for these wheels, I'm not sure whether or not they're actually a good deal. They're pretty heavy, and it's possible the braking performance is terrible. If you don't have any wheels, I'm sure they're better than nothing, but just like you, I couldn't actually figure out whether or not they'd be better than any of the wheels I already have. So I decided to pass. dddd took a chance, and maybe he scored a killer deal, or maybe he's stuck with some wheels he doesn't want to use that have almost no resale value. You had five days (from when you started this thread) to think about it, and couldn't commit. That deal wasn't going to stick around forever. If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:17 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
50mm and 35mm are still in stock.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
It's not luck. That's the nature of crazy deals. If you want to carefully do your research and be 100% sure of what you're getting, talk to the seller, etc. you're going to miss out on most of the great deals out there.

The best deals out there typically involve a little bit of a leap of faith. This can cut both ways--sometimes you get products that you think are a good deal, and turn out not to be. But much of great deal-getting comes down to being willing to pull the trigger quickly, more than anything else.

As for these wheels, I'm not sure whether or not they're actually a good deal. They're pretty heavy, and it's possible the braking performance is terrible. If you don't have any wheels, I'm sure they're better than nothing, but just like you, I couldn't actually figure out whether or not they'd be better than any of the wheels I already have. So I decided to pass. dddd took a chance, and maybe he scored a killer deal, or maybe he's stuck with some wheels he doesn't want to use that have almost no resale value. You had five days (from when you started this thread) to think about it, and couldn't commit. That deal wasn't going to stick around forever. If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it.
Thanks, no need for the lecture though. I understand how deals work, and I didn't insult him for jumping on 3 sets. There were almost zero knowns and I was just trying to find out anything about them.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:16 PM

I ordered a set of the road wheels ended up being $130 with the save15 code

Lets see what I receive.

Cheers
Duvi
Old 12-18-2022, 11:23 PM
Sunshine

$135.66 and free shipping. Gonna try some 36mm wheels. At that price, it's tough not to give em a shot. That's like what nashbar used to sell some of those Vuelta wheels for a handful of years ago. These Pub wheels have to be better.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:59 AM

These wheels have the Framed logo on the hubs, but I'm not counting on anyone "backing" these up, given that they are closeouts not being sold by Framed.

Just disposable, fairly contemporary (tubeless-compatible at least) carbon wheels built on no-name hubs and with unknown rim aerodynamic performance.
Hopefully the braking surfaces aren't terrible, and maybe these were just Framed's "warranty inventory" which never needed sending out because no hubs failed.

Perhaps also their was some issue with these batches of wheels, poor tire fit or whatever(?), ...yeah I'm taking a chance here.

Still it was a solid contribution by BLD 25, outing these wheel deals, so if BLD 25 would like a pair for a third of my investment plus shipping (if not local), he or she is welcome to one of these pair.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
These wheels have the Framed logo on the hubs, but I'm not counting on anyone "backing" these up, given that they are closeouts not being sold by Framed.

Just disposable, fairly contemporary (tubeless-compatible at least) carbon wheels built on no-name hubs and with unknown rim aerodynamic performance.
Hopefully the braking surfaces aren't terrible, and maybe these were just Framed's "warranty inventory" which never needed sending out because no hubs failed.

Perhaps also their was some issue with these batches of wheels, poor tire fit or whatever(?), ...yeah I'm taking a chance here.

Still it was a solid contribution by BLD 25, outing these wheel deals, so if BLD 25 would like a pair for a third of my investment plus shipping (if not local), he or she is welcome to one of these pair.
I spent about an hour and a half on hold yesterday with the in-house customer service. They are slammed. I didn't find out much, except that pub=framed=in-house.com. They are one and the same. So maybe they will back the product.

Thank you for the offer. Let me know how they look when you get them!
Old 12-19-2022, 11:06 AM

I wanted to buy the mtb wheels but couldn’t find any info on changing the freehub to XD.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:40 PM

Looks like the 36 and 50 depth wheels are still on the site for $159.60 before discounts:

https://www.the-house.com/qpuc70036p...ub-bike-wheels
https://www.the-house.com/pc70050fhg...ub-bike-wheels

I kind of want to try them. Worst case is they end up on a bike I sell locally as a placeholder. I also can't wrap my head around the weight. And if the braking track sucks they are trash. Leaning towards I don't need another wheelset clogging up the bike shed.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Looks like the 36 and 50 depth wheels are still on the site for $159.60 before discounts:

https://www.the-house.com/qpuc70036p...ub-bike-wheels
https://www.the-house.com/pc70050fhg...ub-bike-wheels

I kind of want to try them. Worst case is they end up on a bike I sell locally as a placeholder. I also can't wrap my head around the weight. And if the braking track sucks they are trash. Leaning towards I don't need another wheelset clogging up the bike shed.
That's where I'm at. They are cheap because they are cheap. The weight and smooth looking brake tracks are my holdup. I rather ride my 1500g alloy wheels. These heavy carbon wheels will improve nothing.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:01 PM

I got the 55 depth because I have a frame that will need wheels. I hope they will stop. May be able to give the tracks a go in a few hours and will report back with a driveway test

Tags
conspicuous consumption, feeding frenzy