Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2023, 03:55 PM

SeaSucker

Had been considering a SeaSucker form the MCoupe for years. Worked just fine on the test run and as a plus, clears the garage door with several inches to spare.

It's probably going to be a while before I'm no longer nervous about its staying planted. No plans to test cornering abilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (46.9 KB, 315 views)
Old 04-01-2023, 04:00 PM

Clown shoe car

That's what the cool kids call them.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
That's what the cool kids call them.
Can't say I've ever rolled with the cool kids.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:21 PM

I ran that exact one for years. No issues at all. When I would get to my destination I would always remove it and then reinstall it. Carried a microfiber with some quick detailer to clean the paint before attaching it and a bottle of water to wet cups before installing. My only issue was leaving the car unattended. Kinda had to plan my trips, the car had to be in my view if I were to leave the car and bike unattended.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:25 PM

I’ve probably got 10k+ driving miles with a SeaSucker on my cars and never had an issue. I also car a small spray bottle and microfiber to wet the cups and clean the roof before suctioning.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:31 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Can't say I've ever rolled with the cool kids.
As far as I know there is still a special interest group in BMWCCA devoted to these coupes. When they first came out some wag said with its short cabin sticking up at the very back of the car and its relatively long hood it looked like a high-top clown shoe. The guys I knew in the group loved that humor and that's how they often referred to their Z3 cars. I don't know if they shared that pet name with the Z4.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:35 PM

Good to hear positive comments about these. I'll have to get a spray bottle and quick detailer. The guy I bought from mentioned those as well.
Old 04-01-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
As far as I know there is still a special interest group in BMWCCA devoted to these coupes. When they first came out some wag said with its short cabin sticking up at the very back of the car and its relatively long hood it looked like a high-top clown shoe. The guys I knew in the group loved that humor and that's how they often referred to their Z3 cars. I don't know if they shared that pet name with the Z4.
As far as I know, Clown Shoe refers only to the E368. I always thought elf hearse was a good one.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:39 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Good to hear positive comments about these. I'll have to get a spray bottle and quick detailer. The guy I bought from mentioned those as well.
yep, I keep a bottle in my hatch of GTI..

Just one quick note.. is the silver strip in front of your sunroof metal? I ask because I thankfully learned that my strip in front of my sunroof on my GTI is plastic and to NOT put the suction cups on that part.. probably just a GTI thing, but just in case..

and no worries with my SeaSucker, even with an Ibis Mojo FS MTB on it..
Old 04-01-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
I’ve probably got 10k+ driving miles with a SeaSucker on my cars and never had an issue. I also car a small spray bottle and microfiber to wet the cups and clean the roof before suctioning.
I got on for BF, and it's been too cold to mess with it until now. Small spray bottle of...just water? Do you clean the surface and wet the cups every time? Or just wet the cups for the return trip? Is this step suggested by Seasucker (I've only opened the box so far)?
Old 04-01-2023, 07:16 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I got on for BF, and it's been too cold to mess with it until now. Small spray bottle of...just water? Do you clean the surface and wet the cups every time? Or just wet the cups for the return trip? Is this step suggested by Seasucker (I've only opened the box so far)?
I use distilled water in my spray bottle and just wet the cups.. some detail cleaner can be good to ensure your surface is clean I guess.. I wet the cups every time before I put them on..
Old 04-01-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Type slower than I think sometimes, I actually carry2 bottles, quick detailer for the paint and water for the cups before every use.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:25 PM

First off, that’s my dream bmw. Always loved the boot M cars.

Seasucker rack is great. I used one on my old i3 for both mountain bikes, and road bikes. No problems at all. I always took it off and stored inside the car before a ride as they’re pretty easy to steal.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:30 PM

I used one

on my old '74 trans am and '64 avanti

no issues
I always made sure the car surface was clean and if not used a waterless cleaner before attaching, but didn't worry about wetting the cups etc.

No cross country trips or OHV trails, but the seasucker securely held my FS mtb bike no problems.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:32 PM

M coupe

If you buy an M coupe i think you also get the big floppy shoes and the big red nose.