Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Merlin Cycle UK

Anyone here have any experience ordering from Merlin Cycles in the UK? Good , bad or otherwise experiences. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM
Everything is connected

I've purchased tubulars and Campag bits from Merlin on a number of occasions...no issues.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM
Steel..what else??

No problems at all.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Several orders. All good.
They were also ready to correct an issue of wrong size sent but I sold locally and got my money back.
Just double check their current carrier. They switched during our postal strike.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM

One of my main go to sources. Nothing but love for their prices, quick shipment and customer service when needed.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM

I've done a few orders with them, no issues, and delivery has taken about 4-5 days which seems decently quick. Probably will be ordering from them again within the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM

I've ordered from them many times without issue until my latest order in Dec 2018. For some reason the only available shipping option was via UPS instead of their standard UK post shipping.

No update for weeks, and then I randomly received a UPS invoice in the mail asking for customs payment. UPS, however, always asks for payment upon delivery. Merlin customer service was not useful, and they said that I had to pay the invoice before receiving the package.

I paid the invoice and followed up only to find that the package was lost. Getting a customs refund from UPS took weeks.

Merlin ended up refunding my money after 3 months.

In short, good pricing and few issues, but when it goes bad it really goes bad. And never ship via UPS.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Bought Conti GP 4000S IIi tires and Campy Centaur cassettes from Merlin Cycles, no issues and arrived in about 5 days. Would buy a from them again!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Thanks for all the comments. Appreciated. And yes.... agreed on UPS. I learned that lesson several years ago for a shipment from the US to Canada..... that went horribly wrong.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 AM

I've bought twice from them in the last couple of weeks. Both orders were dispatched within 24 hours of the order. I took the free shipping option but it was tracked all the way through. After customs it was delivered to FedEx and then into the USPS for final delivery. Once it hit the USPS the shipment accelerated. My second order was delivered yesterday but was originally scheduled for this coming Monday. Total time for delivery from shipment to AZ was 7 days.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
Thanks for all the comments. Appreciated. And yes.... agreed on UPS. I learned that lesson several years ago for a shipment from the US to Canada..... that went horribly wrong.
Maybe we're the same person. I'm Canadian and curse the name of UPS every morning.

Delivery from UK to Toronto with Merlin was typically 1-2 weeks for me, towards the longer end if it hit customs for taxation. My record was 3 days, but that was years ago.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Always great service, haven't had any problems and a good selection of discounted odds and ends too. They have become my new 'Nashbar' in that sense. Have a delivery from Merlin today waiting for me downstairs.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Good prices and good shipping but disappointing return policy when they make a mistake.

I ordered a set of shifters with post mount brakes, but they sent flat mount. I contacted them, and received a prompt reply that they could swap them, but would not send the replacements until they received my return. Additionally, they would not send a ship label, I’d have shipped on my dime and hope to be reimbursed “to a reasonable amount”

Luckily I swapped the brakes with someone here and it took a day only ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by harblhat View Post
Maybe we're the same person. I'm Canadian and curse the name of UPS every morning.

Delivery from UK to Toronto with Merlin was typically 1-2 weeks for me, towards the longer end if it hit customs for taxation. My record was 3 days, but that was years ago.
Add me to the list. UPS Has always been brutal for international shipping.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
One of my main go to sources. Nothing but love for their prices, quick shipment and customer service when needed.
Me too!..use them from drivetrain, tires, wheels..