Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Houston...set your Rollo to 10:10...the official time for advertising a watch.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/m...-a6948421.html
Seiko, being Seiko, sets their official demo time at 10:08:42.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Very classic 36mm DateJust with jubilee bracelet, silver dial, roman numerals, white gold bezel, and box and papers. Needs a service though as oils break down over time. If the range is from 5800-6200 you may get the higher end if it is in very good condition with very few (if any) scratches and because you have the box and warranty papers.

The only downside is that Rolex makes so many of these they are literally a dime a dozen.

Most people do not know that authorized Rolex dealers must sell at least 7 unwanted watches (oyster perpetual, datejust, celinni, etc) for each 1 stainless steel sports watch (deep sea, daytona, submariner, submariner date, explorer, explorer II, etc) that they are allocated. This is why steel sports watches are in such high demand and why you see authorized dealers dumping non desirable watches the gray market and why the gray market has so many at discounted prices. Ever wonder why a datejust is 20-30% less than retail list gray market but a new steel sports watch is at lest 20% more than retail on the gray market?

You should be able to get at most 70% of the 5800-6200 mentioned above if you sell it to a retailer or one of the online retailers. Some private sellers might offer more (or less) but they will want to use an escrow service and you will need to send the watch and be ready for it to be returned if it is not in the condition you stated (or they assumed it would be).

If you do not use it, sell it and get a bike. All Rolex watches are hot now because of the serious wait on the steel sports watches and the fact that many who want any Rolex cannot afford the authorized dealer new retail price even on the less desirable ones.

This is just one person's opinion but I have been reading about, researching, collecting, and enjoying (mostly Rolex) watches for much of my adult life. And, they take less room to store than bikes.
Nice watch. Looks familiar

All this seems reasonable even if a bit on the optimistic end of pricing IMHO. I understand what the market is offering, however anyone really interested in watches can do better than even 70% of the range above.

If watches are an actual passion, one should first be a member of your local NAWCC chapter. Just like a bike community, this is where you will find connections both for service and opportunities to buy.

My costs have been far less than what everyone has represented here both on acquisitions and on servicing, but I was as connected to the watch community as I am to the bike community.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3085.jpg (100.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
Most people people, even in the developed world, have just as much ability to be able to afford a 2000 dollar watch/guitar, as as 250k one....

I too used to be interested in watches, but the reality is they are just status symbols, I bought a apple watch which has 100% more functionality than any mechanical watch, sure it's not as "cool" but I haven't worn any of my mechanical watches since I got it, and probably will sell them.
All I meant is the NY Times was a little too credulous about these being investments.. of course a couple of guys in the collecting industry making big bucks on the collecting industry are going to sell that up.

By all means they're fun but it's a little silly to think they are safe investments and always will be.

My taste in watches runs more Citizen or Seiko I guess, though I like a lot of the stuff people put pictures up of. My taste would either be dive styling or the vintage military styling. But I haven't worn a watch really since about 2015. I had a Titanium case/band Perpetual Calendar Citizen Eco Tech watch rated to 250m that I wore daily for about 10 years and loved... it had a Sapphire Crystal face and yet I somehow managed to scratch it horribly. ( my luck?) It was super accurate, < 10 seconds off in 6 months or something, just a lucky watch as they're not that accurate really I thought.

I have had a few other watches since then, I had a Garmin, I have another cheaper Citizen right now that's military styled (leather strap), I bought an Apple Watch and returned it, I found it way too uncomfortable. Mostly nothing seems comfortable on my wrist anymore and I kind of gave up. I can't commit to wearing one anymore as I'm always wondering if they are irritating my wrist. Pulling my phone out of my pocket to check time is a little annoying but I type all day for work and play guitar and if a watch is going to irritate anything in my wrist at all it's worth the PITA of pulling the iPhone out. I think the only way I will go back to a watch is if I buy another watch with a really nice bracelet that can be adjusted perfectly, and watches start shrinking... my wrist isn't huge, and the current style of huge watch faces makes them less comfortable for me.

On top of the Apple Watch being uncomfortable for me I found it breathtakingly inelegant and terrible from UI standpoint. I think there is 0 chance Steve Jobs would have ever let any of the Apple Watch models be released the way they are. Everything for him was either "this is f***ing terrible" or "this is totally awesome", and there is no way I believe he'd think they're totally awesome. None of the other smart watches are any better but at least some of the stuff like the Garmin Fenix models have a more traditional watch UI with push buttons.

Last edited by benb; 03-22-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:30 AM

Any clock collectors here? I find old clocks totally facinating. Have an early 1700's tall case setting the pulse for the house next to me. 300 years old and keeps perfect time.

Values of clocks, which can be a significant importance to house decor has dropped like a rock, with exception of course of original big name pieces.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Any clock collectors here? I find old clocks totally facinating. Have an early 1700's tall case setting the pulse for the house next to me. 300 years old and keeps perfect time.

Values of clocks, which can be a significant importance to house decor has dropped like a rock, with exception of course of original big name pieces.
Local member of NAWCC and used to volunteer and help setup the annual auctions here in MN.

My favorite is a black Queen Anne Style Seth Thomas wall clock. Bonus that it is the actual clock displayed in the Tran Duy Ly Seth Thomas Clocks and Movements reference book.

You are very correct as to the drop in value and the state of current auctions reflect the market or lack thereof.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
That's very cool.

The closest thing that I have is a JLC Atmos (IIRC wallyman has one as well). It's a very interesting clock; temperature changes cause a gas filled bellows to expand and contract and that's what winds the mainspring. Mine was made in the 1950s.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 AM

The rise of the micros has really changed my thinking about watches. For example the Deep Blue improved "Seiko SKX"

-- Windable and hackable Seiko movement
-- sapphire crystal
-- 300m WR
-- Helium release valve (always important)
-- Quality construction

All for $150.

Then look at the Swiss watches. Does it really cost $8k to make a Submariner?

IMG_5990r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_6009r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
That's very cool.

The closest thing that I have is a JLC Atmos (IIRC wallyman has one as well). It's a very interesting clock; temperature changes cause a gas filled bellows to expand and contract and that's what winds the mainspring. Mine was made in the 1950s.

Very nice. Atmos clocks are pretty cool.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Nice watch. Looks familiar

All this seems reasonable even if a bit on the optimistic end of pricing IMHO. I understand what the market is offering, however anyone really interested in watches can do better than even 70% of the range above.

If watches are an actual passion, one should first be a member of your local NAWCC chapter. Just like a bike community, this is where you will find connections both for service and opportunities to buy.

My costs have been far less than what everyone has represented here both on acquisitions and on servicing, but I was as connected to the watch community as I am to the bike community.
So much has changed - both good and bad - due to the internet but one thing that seems to stick is the market price of easily attainable watches.

You need to give more context when stating your costs have been lower than what has been stated earlier. Did you buy new or used? Authorized dealer or gray market? Are you a current customer or a new one of the place where you bought it? Do you have Rolex service your watch? An authorized dealer? A non-authorized dealer?

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-22-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM

Lewis Holland, London member of Clockmakers Guild 1699

IMG_0337.jpg
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM

At this point, I would say sell it and take the cash and put it into mutual funds which will get a better return. At some point that "flaky patina-ed lume" which is what people prize so much will start to flake off and be all over the inside of the case. Then at the next service it will be removed and you will be stuck with an old watch, no lume, and not worth as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Here we go again..bought 42 years ago for $645..worth in the high 4 figures now..YOWSER!! NUTZ!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup
Nope
Rolex NY

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-22-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Lewis Holland, London member of Clockmakers Guild 1699
That's sweet. Is the subdial for the seconds?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If only they made mechanical watches designed to exist in the field. Something slim so it doesn't get caught on anything, rugged still, simple and reliable.

Maybe they'd even call them field watches.

Sure, a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller is silly for the backpacking excursion. But a Tudor Ranger? A Hamilton Khaki Field? A Seiko Alpinist?

Ye Gods man, that's what those watches are built for.
This would be my choice for a field watch.

https://www.mkiiwatches.com/paradive
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Comparing an $8000 Rolex and a $150 other/whatever is comparing Apples and Oranges but you already know that. Rolex build and finishing is second to none if you consider that so many of them truly last forever they are worth it to many people. My 1994 Explorer II has been beat to $hit over the years and has always worked flawlessly. Just look at OldP's GMT Master which is probably from the 1960s, probably works great, and looks amazing. I just do not believe $150 watches will last the test of time.

With that said, I would agree that micros are creating some really cool stuff. I got in early on this one:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...hout-the-retai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
The rise of the micros has really changed my thinking about watches. For example the Deep Blue improved "Seiko SKX"

-- Windable and hackable Seiko movement
-- sapphire crystal
-- 300m WR
-- Helium release valve (always important)
-- Quality construction

All for $150.

Then look at the Swiss watches. Does it really cost $8k to make a Submariner?

IMG_5990r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_6009r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

Last edited by NYCfixie; 03-22-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I love my Seiko autos and my Hamilton hand cranker field watch and my Grand Seiko quartz.
I am intrigued by the guys who "mod" the Seiko divers....these seem very unique and personalized.....and not too expensive!

https://www.artificehoroworks.com/