Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 05:29 PM

About 15 years ago, I dabbled in Swiss autos. At one point, I began to see them for what they are -- expensive jewelry -- and sold most of them. A couple of years ago, I got back into watches, but this time watches that are (or were) actually worn by divers. That means solid Seikos and Citizens. I found these to be as much or more fun and somehow more honest.

In phase one of my watch collecting, I also picked up a few vintage divers, mostly Doxa. The problem with vintage divers is that, well, they're vintage and no longer trustworthy for their intended purpose. To me, watches are gear and I am a gear head. If you have your wristwatch and pocket knife, your kit is complete and you are ready for adventure.

In the digital age, watches are an anachronism to most people. Only watch geeks recognize what you are wearing.

Prices for Swiss watches have gone through the roof. I too wonder how long this trend will continue.

BTW, if you have a WSJ subscription (I need to renew mine) there is a great article on Oct 26, 2017 that tells the detailed story of Paul Newman's Daytona.

In the meantime, I am quite happy wearing my Seikos. As I write this post, I am wearing my Seiko Darth Tuna.

IMG_5568 by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM

People collect bikes, baseball cards, comic books, watches, etc.

The price should not matter to anyone other than the purchaser/collector.

- I ride bikes but have only 1 (at this point in time).

- I read and collected comic books with my younger brother for no other reason than it was fun when we were kids. Now they sit in his basement untouched because his kids are not interested and neither of us have the time or desire to sell them (there is at least 1 original ninja turtles in there that should be worth some real money).

- I wear mechanical watches and purchased a new Rolex Explorer II Polar dial after my first big job promotion 25 years ago. At the time, I liked it better then black dial Rolex watches. Did I do it to impress others? No. Would I have been better off purchasing a Submariner which would be worth more money now? Yes, but who knew. Now that the Explorer II Polar has gained popularity it is going up in price so should I sell it? Maybe but it comes with 25 years of my personal experience, there was no Apple watch at the time, I find the Apple watch silly, and at some point I will gift it to my nephew.

My point is that whatever people think about mechanical watches and their current costs, someone else thinks the same way about something you enjoy and/or value.

To each his own I always say.
And as my grandfather always use to say, "It is only advice is someone asks for it, otherwise it is just an opinion, so keep it to yourself if you might offend the other person or hurt their feelings."

Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
People collect bikes, baseball cards, comic books, watches, etc.
My point is that whatever people think about mechanical watches and their current costs, someone else thinks the same way about something you enjoy and/or value.

To each his own I always say.
And as my grandfather always use to say, "It is only advice is someone asks for it, otherwise it is just an opinion, so keep it to yourself if you might offend the other person or hurt their feelings."

I value my children, my wife and what we created. Whoever doesn't get that... oh well. I have no time for watches or stuff like that. I was given a rolex and I lost it for about 2 years. Of course, I was disappointed and but I figured, oh well, I did not pay anything for it. Eventually, I found it in a sock drawer. I never wear it though.

Last edited by joosttx; 03-21-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Administrator

for me:

i'm a dorky engineer. i have spent my entire education and career around intricate machines of many sorts, and they all fascinate me.

a good mechanical watch, with it's many small moving parts, is amazing to me. the amount of abuse that the watch can take, and the machine still runs, keeping time to a pretty damn good accuracy is just mind boggling. in some respects, it's a very simple machine, in others, it's super detailed.

anyway, why do i still wear mechanical watches? status has absolutely nothing to do with it. i often find myself just staring at the sweep second hand, effortlessly gliding around the dial, and my mind drifts to what's happening inside. the gears, the pendulum, the jewels - all doing their thing. second after second, hour after hour, day after day.

it's so cool!

it's also not uncommon for me to stare at my watch for several minutes and have no idea what time it is.

dont judge me
Old 03-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
...I was given a rolex and I lost it for about 2 years. Of course, I was disappointed and but I figured, oh well, I did not pay anything for it. Eventually, I found it in a sock drawer. I never wear it though.
Still have it? What model? Want to sell it?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Still have it? What model? Want to sell it?
It’s a midsize silver (stainless steel?) date adjust with a white gold bezel Ca 2011. I have no idea what it is worth. $800??

Last edited by joosttx; 03-21-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
for me:

it's so cool!

it's also not uncommon for me to stare at my watch for several minutes and have no idea what time it is.

dont judge me
Ditto for me. I love my watches. Most are cheap. Some are sentimental. Some were gifts. Have mechanicals, autos, and a Suunto but rarely use it. (Also I'm aware that I haven't adjusted a couple for DST and one is in need of movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by eippo1; 03-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
It’s a midsize silver (stainless steel?) date adjust with a white gold bezel Ca 2011. I have no idea what it is worth. $800??
Eh....a bit more than $800.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Here we go again..bought 42 years ago for $645..worth in the high 4 figures now..YOWSER!! NUTZ!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zMens-Rolex-GMT-Master-16750---108656.jpg (23.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:34 AM

I used to collect, then '08 hit and I realized how silly it was to have so many watches. I would spend most of my free time searching and researching always waiting for that next one to light my fancy. Before the internet was as good as it is now, there were only a select few that knew where to go to find good deals. I had dealer connections in Germany, in Chicago, in Connecticut. I Used to travel to watch shows, and I still have many friends from those days. I never viewed them as an investment, even though I had some valuable ones. I valued the cheap ones just as much. I parsed my collection down to just about a dozen, of which only about three or four get worn regularly.

I like the mechanical handbuilt nature of them, like bikes.

Now I collect bikes, so I really just replaced one addicting hobby with another. I miss how a dozen watched took up space on a shelf, where a dozen bikes? I never had a watch room, but now I have a bike room So silly.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Roughly ~$6k unless it's super beat up.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:43 AM
Administrator

timely thread as i'm currently chasing a pretty special/cool watch that i've been after for at least 5 years, since i became aware of it's existence.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 AM

they do indeed exist...a-la this precista G10 field-watch...issued by UK MoD in 1984...durable and accurate and unobtrusive on the wrist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If only they made mechanical watches designed to exist in the field. Something slim so it doesn't get caught on anything, rugged still, simple and reliable.

Maybe they'd even call them field watches.

Sure, a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller is silly for the backpacking excursion. But a Tudor Ranger? A Hamilton Khaki Field? A Seiko Alpinist?

Ye Gods man, that's what those watches are built for.

omega regularly produces limited editions of their standard moonwatch that fetch well over list price. speedy tuesday. tin tin. ultraman. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
...I wouldn't expect a current volume produced Speedmaster to ever be worth more than retail...

today's selection...a-la "unimatic" microbrand

Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
Time, and technology has moved on, I doubt anyone on a serious expedition is using any of those watches these days, just as Pilots aren't using IWC Fliegers.

Quartz watches are superior, in every measurable way, to mechanical watches, not to even mention smart watches.

And since you mentioned diving watches, are you sure you don't want a diving computer instead? Seriously.
You sure you aren't talking about disc brakes on a bike?

I 'guess' you can 'measure' price, of a vintage Rolex...mine is worth about $8000...bought for $645 in 1978..

BTW-A LOT of pilots use Rolex GMT Master...before United hit the skids, they awarded their new Captains a GMTMaster..NO need to use a wrist mounted watch to make calculations ala a Jeppsen calculator...Like I used to carry...in 1972...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200px-StudentE6BFlightComputer.jpg (161.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleklobbs View Post
Roughly ~$6k unless it's super beat up.
Incorrect.

Datejusts are one of the least desirable and drop in price more than others. The current retail is $8200 for the new 36mm steel with white gold bezel announced yesterday at Basel World but that has a newer movement, better case, and updated bracelet. Used Rolex DateJust prices also depend on the size 36mm, 41mm, 42mm (Datejust II), dial color, condition, and many other factors.

One can get a sense here but remember that you are getting the "sell" price and not the "buy" price that private and commercial buyers ask - there is a decent spread between the two:
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-datejust-1.html
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/coll...tejust-watches
https://www.chrono24.com/

For me, I would not spend $6,000 on a used DateJust when I know I can get a new one for $8,200 because with the used one you take a chance (like with a used car) and at several years old it needs a service which can cost about $750 at an authorized Rolex service center.

As for OPs GMT Master, who knew that would be worth so much. I would consider it as well for what he thinks it is worth because he may be in the ballpark depending on condition and having original box and warranty paperwork. The most important factors being if the case has ever been polished and who serviced the watch over the years because irreparable damage may have occurred or the use of non-oem parts which would also be bad.