Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Also helmets need to protect you from hits to other things than flat pavement. Curbs, rocks, etc.
That's probably already covered. All helmets sold in the US have to meet the CPSC standard, and that includes tests of the helmet striking curved and angled surfaces (to simulate curbs and rocks and such).

Quote:
It would be perfectly possible for a helmet to be better and not test better on a particular test protocol if it's benefits were for impacts that were not tested.
That's likely true, but how would you compare different helmets if there were no standard for comparison?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Here is an article noting some pushback about the new helmet system:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...ys-mips-411226
..........from their biggest competitor.............

Old 03-21-2019, 02:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

and maybe MIPS is right that their claims are rather high, however, even if this new helmet improves say 10% over a MIPS, that is worth it in my book.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Should give Trek/Bontrager goods a sales boost and will be good for REI based on my anecdotal sample size of 1. Haven't had much interest in their products up until now (apart from my '89 Trek 660 R.I.P.) but just like that, now I'm turning over visiting a local lbs to upgrade my helmet.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
The VT tests are pretty light on the data.

So the Bontrager Ballista that I have right now get 5 stars and so do the new Wavecel helmets...

A rating system of 1-5 isn't enough to know what's going on at all.

It'd be way nicer if they showed the actual test data, like how many Gs each helmet transferred in each test.
This. Plus, Does the POC Octal tested have the "SPIN" modification? POC makes both...
Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 PM

i checked out the new bontrager helmets today

that new padding seriously impedes air-flow at anything above walking speed. it completely blocks every vent-aperture and the alignment of the internal channels in the padding does not align with airflow at all.

the padding feels surprisingly stiff, but i have no doubt the stuff works. color me intrigued. i'll wait until they refine the mfg process in v2 so that ventilation is not so compromised.

Last edited by wallymann; 03-22-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
that new padding seriously impedes air-flow at anything above walking speed. it completely blocks every vent-aperture and the alignment of the internal channels in the padding does not align with airflow at all.

the padding feels surprisingly stiff, but i have no doubt the stuff works. color me intrigued. i'll wait until they refine the mfg process in v2 so that ventilation is not so compromised.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9FMoL45i2I

Shane Miller has a video on it. He worries that, along with blocking air flow, the WaveCel material is stiff enough to actually cut into your scalp upon impact if you are bald. Something to consider for we follically challenged cyclists.

Tim
Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM

Wow....these helmets are super comfy. I didn’t know they come in two different models. The XXX is $299?? Ouch ...

Also surprised that the lower end model was “smaller”.....hmmm

Both helmets in pic are size M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E44F6D7D-E53F-403A-871E-E0C20CF59BBA.jpg (76.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 PM

48 times safer!!
i'll wait for the independent testing before jumping for joy
Old 03-22-2019, 10:33 PM

Stopped in a Trek shop today to have a look and maybe give the Specter a shot. Sadly sizing just didn't work for my 56cm dome: the M fit but looked a little too "mushroom head" on me, at least insofar as I think a $150 helmet should look; S fit with the BOA cranked all the way open but left no margin for error or room for a cap.

My personal sizing issues aside, both the XXX and Specter looked nice, didn't seem too heavy in hand. They also had a swatch of the wavecel material you could play around with - its pretty stiff and has edges, and the salesguy gave a good elevator pitch explaining the technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Wow....these helmets are super comfy. I didn’t know they come in two different models. The XXX is $299?? Ouch ...

Also surprised that the lower end model was “smaller”.....hmmm

Both helmets in pic are size M

Last edited by MagicHour; 03-22-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Should give Trek/Bontrager goods a sales boost and will be good for REI based on my anecdotal sample size of 1. Haven't had much interest in their products up until now (apart from my '89 Trek 660 R.I.P.) but just like that, now I'm turning over visiting a local lbs to upgrade my helmet.
I just went on the rei website for my local store and they did not show the any trek helmets. perhaps that will happen down the line as i am definitely interested.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
48 times safer!!
AND I'll wait until 'real world, summer time', testing for airflow. I changed from a 'better' Catlike to a 'less better' mavic because the Catlike was too warm..
This thing 'looks' warm...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
48 times safer!!
Virginia Tech's helmet safety lab uses similar methods as those described in the paper in Accident Injury and Prevention, but VT a different calculation/aggregation of results... However, from their tests, 2 Wavecel helmets are in the top 3 of the 30 or so helmets they tested this year (lowest scoring, best ranking). So that's pretty good.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Virginia Tech's helmet safety lab uses similar methods as those described in the paper in Accident Injury and Prevention, but VT a different calculation/aggregation of results... However, from their tests, 2 Wavecel helmets are in the top 3 of the 30 or so helmets they tested this year (lowest scoring, best ranking). So that's pretty good.
All well and good, but is there real world data that correlates to test lab results on a dummy head as measured against concussion mitigation for real people ... CPSC or revised oblique testing? I’ve not seen data for bike or ski helmets that shows a dramatic shift in general death rates or head injury - specifically none that proves a better test score returns a better outcome.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 AM

Hmmmm.... Looking at the helmets makes me think that wrinkles on our brain are actually an evolutionary counter measure to concussion. Instead of a huge block of smooth jelly, having some wrinkles can absorb most of the impact when hit... Just my thoughts