Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 AM

thanks for all the kind words everyone. sounds like I need to talk to her and maybe fly her out of state to a hospital that really specializes in this stuff. updates to follow.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:26 AM

My dad got an extra dozen years plus on a valve replacement. They were good years, but there was one caveat in his case : he had to take a medication for tissue rejection that eventually affected his kidneys. At the end of his life (he made it past 90), he was on dialysis. I don’t know where medicine is on the finer points of this surgery these days... probably further along. My best to you and your mom.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:43 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
My mom has been on a diuretic as well. Best of luck to your brother in law.

So you think exercise(cardio?) would be ideal before the surgery? My mom hasnt been able to do anything more than walking because of the fibro, but I think she might be able to bike if I got the fit comfortable enough for her. Maybe even one of those really crappy suspension seatposts..
I think anything to get her in better shape would be good. I had open heart surgery at age 49. I was way overweight but fairly active. I was really surprised how weak I was after surgery.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Just have her walk. She doesn't need to do any more than that for fitness. Any weight lifting will just put more stress her left atrium.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM

I'd just like to encourage you to get at least three opinions...preferably from real experts in the field. And if there is a teaching hospital near you, that's a good place to start. Also the Cleveland clinic for a fee, will allow you to present your situation to their doctors who will give you an objective opinion. The process takes about 2-3 weeks on-line.

I've had an open heart quintuple bypass...and then complications. I was in great shape at 64 but it did leave me incredibly exhausted and I needed all of six weeks to even begin to feel normal. My mother went in for her second valve replacement at age 70 and never made it out of recovery.

Use the best hospital and surgeon you can find and (seriously) don't have the surgery done on a Friday. You don't want complications the next day when the A-team has gone for the weekend.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I'd just like to encourage you to get at least three opinions...preferably from real experts in the field. And if there is a teaching hospital near you, that's a good place to start. Also the Cleveland clinic for a fee, will allow you to present your situation to their doctors who will give you an objective opinion. The process takes about 2-3 weeks on-line.

I've had an open heart quintuple bypass...and then complications. I was in great shape at 64 but it did leave me incredibly exhausted and I needed all of six weeks to even begin to feel normal. My mother went in for her second valve replacement at age 70 and never made it out of recovery.

Use the best hospital and surgeon you can find and (seriously) don't have the surgery done on a Friday. You don't want complications the next day when the A-team has gone for the weekend.

Sorry to hear about your mom. This is great advice though. That online process for Cleveland seems great.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
thanks for all the kind words everyone. sounds like I need to talk to her and maybe fly her out of state to a hospital that really specializes in this stuff. updates to follow.
Your heading says you live in Boston. Can't imagine more experienced Doctors than you have there. World renowned Brigham and Womens Hospital, etc.

A few years ago, a friend needed complicated heart surgery.....one that they do routinely here in the two largest hospitals in Orlando.....but still.... he wanted even more experience and skill.....so he chose Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston. It's also the teaching hospital of Harvard medical School. You got it all right there.

https://www.brighamandwomens.org/

Last edited by Ralph; 03-13-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Your heading says you live in Boston. Can't imagine more experienced Doctors than you have there. World renowned Brigham and Womens Hospital, etc.

A few years ago, a friend needed complicated heart surgery.....one that they do routinely here in the two largest hospitals in Orlando.....but still.... he wanted even more experience and skill.....so he chose Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston. It's also the teaching hospital of Harvard medical School. You got it all right there.

https://www.brighamandwomens.org/
Great idea... thank you
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM

I hope that whatever route your Mom goes, it works out smoothly and easily for her.

For what it's worth, I had my aortic valve replaced about 8 1/2 years ago. I planned on a pig valve, but woke up with a cow valve. There was something about the size valve I needed, after they opened me up, that caused them to make the change during the surgery. I was 42 at the time.

I don't react well to anesthesia, so the first few days in the hospital were rough, but everything thereafter went swimmingly. I was pedaling my bike around the neighborhood at day 10, post-op.
Not a good idea, btw. A fall off the bike would have been really bad, but I digress...

I've been happy with the valve and have only had to take an 81mg aspirin, daily, ever since.
I think my valve will need to be replaced sometime in the not too distant future and I've yet to decide whether it'll be another tissue valve, or if I'll go mechanical and resign myself to blood-thinners for the rest of my days.

Best wishes to your Mom.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 AM

Note: replacement valves often get contaminated over time with plaques, to a greater extent in men than women, at least in some part due to a greater amount of animal fats and proteins in the diet. Has to do with a particular kind of substance present in mammals (cows, etc.) for which there’s no antigen in humans, blah blah blah scientific stuff (I can forward you more info if you want)... the upshot being that if you want to reduce the need for repeat surgery, go vegetarian.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Ari W

One of the guys in our local riding crew had a valve replacement at the Mayo Clinic, and he is as strong as ever. As others have mentioned, going to an institution that handles this type of patient regularly is key. My brother worked in CVICU post-op, the care there was critical to success. You want the group of people caring for your Mom to be handling cases like this day in and day out.

Also, yes to walking as much as she can prior to surgery.

Hope she is better soon, my mom (75) had breast cancer and more recently lung cancer, but still keeps up with my kids and loves walking our dog for 40+ minutes at a clip.

-Ari
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Note: replacement valves often get contaminated over time with plaques, to a greater extent in men than women, at least in some part due to a greater amount of animal fats and proteins in the diet. Has to do with a particular kind of substance present in mammals (cows, etc.) for which there’s no antigen in humans, blah blah blah scientific stuff (I can forward you more info if you want)... the upshot being that if you want to reduce the need for repeat surgery, go vegetarian.
I'd be very interested in reading whatever 'blah blah blah scientific stuff' you could send my way.

thanks very much,
Chris
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM

I had AVR surgery at 52, 8 years ago. Dr. V. Starnes here in Los Angeles did the surgery. Find someone who does a lot of these surgeries. When I spent time researching this stuff, Cleveland came up often as being pretty successful but I suspect that Boston should have somebody who does this for a living. Inquire about valve replacement that avoids open heart surgery. Here in L.A., they've been doing it for awhile and when mine needs replacing, they will go through my leg or some such thing. Too bad kinda because I would like them to do a neater job on the wires they used to put my chest together. Try not to worry. Your mom will be fine. Check out Valvereplacement.org
Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM

thank you!
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
I had AVR surgery at 52, 8 years ago. Dr. V. Starnes here in Los Angeles did the surgery. Find someone who does a lot of these surgeries. When I spent time researching this stuff, Cleveland came up often as being pretty successful but I suspect that Boston should have somebody who does this for a living. Inquire about valve replacement that avoids open heart surgery. Here in L.A., they've been doing it for awhile and when mine needs replacing, they will go through my leg or some such thing. Too bad kinda because I would like them to do a neater job on the wires they used to put my chest together. Try not to worry. Your mom will be fine. Check out Valvereplacement.org
They can only do the less invasive procedure for the aortic valve . His Mom needs the Mitral valve replaced. Right now it's only possible to do with an open procedure-which is what you had.

FM-good luck with your Mom !