Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 02:19 PM

I'm 5'11" and around 138lbs. I've worked hard to maintain my physique as I've gotten older - my wife as well. Basically lot's of exercise and eating right/light. As I always say to people that ask me for weight losing advice 'how bad do you want it'? Because you cant be light and eat tons of food and drink tons of beer, as so many people do. You simply cant exercise calories like that away.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Jumphigher, were you over 100 pounds at 18?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes are needed.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
Jumphigher, were you over 100 pounds at 18?

Yep. I've kept my weight close to my highschool weight most of my adult life. It can be done, but you have to be willing to not fall into the trap most people do - the trap of overeating and not exercising enough. I like to look a certain way, so I work hard to achieve that.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:42 PM

This.

Major lifestyle changes especially if you're realistically 25-30%+ heavier than what is considered reasonable.

For me, exercise alone does very little to assist in weight loss. The only way is simple math: less calories in vs. out. And to make sure those coming in are good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Diets don't work. Lifestyle changes are needed.

Last edited by 54ny77; 06-01-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
This.

Major lifestyle changes especially if you're realistically 25-30%+ heavier than what is considered reasonable.

As I've gotten older I too realized that exercise does very little to assist in weight loss. Instead it's simple math: less calories in vs. out. And to make sure those coming in are good ones.
A cycling teammate and I once discussed this subject during a training ride. Something along the lines of "eat healthy, exercise, get enough rest, don't smoke, and don't drink too much alcohol" was the simple answer to maintaining a healthy weight (excepting true underlying health conditions). Of course, no one would buy a book advocating this approach... I'm 54 years old and weigh the same as I did at age 19. There's no magic, no secret formula, and no genetic good fortune. In my case, it just takes discipline and will power. It ain't easy.

Greg
Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 PM

I consider myself to be big boned.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
A cycling teammate and I once discussed this subject during a training ride. Something along the lines of "eat healthy, exercise, get enough rest, don't smoke, and don't drink too much alcohol" was the simple answer to maintaining a healthy weight (excepting true underlying health conditions). Of course, no one would buy a book advocating this approach... I'm 54 years old and weigh the same as I did at age 19. There's no magic, no secret formula, and no genetic good fortune. In my case, it just takes discipline and will power. It ain't easy.

Greg
I'd bet all my bikes that you weren't an overweight child or infant.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Yes indeed. I'd bet my house.

Of course it's calories in v out, but it's not that simple.

Congrats to those of you who don't struggle with it. Those of us who do could use responses more like donevwil's rather than some of the more recent ones.

I record and monitor everything I eat every day. Even then, I've gained 10 pounds or so in the last six months. I'm 50 and am over-educated, so it's not about not knowing or being able to track input v output.

RoadWhale (and anyone else), you got this. Just keep pedaling.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Shall I PM you my shipping address? I was overweight all through elementary school. Not quite clinically obese, but close. Last kid picked for any sports team. In middle school, I desperately wanted to be a better athlete. Some good coaches and considerate upperclassmen took me under their respective wings. I actually read nutrition books to understand calories vs. activity. When I succeeded in losing weight AND started growing, I went from "fat kid" to successful athlete in just a few short years. I'm very, very sensitive to the plight of overweight people. I am very supportive to family, friends and co-workers who want to make a healthy lifestyle change. It's great to see that kind of encouragement in this thread!

Greg
Old 06-01-2018, 04:16 PM

^Being an outlier is so weird.

And congrats on the "self-control" and good health/fortune. You are blessed, sir.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You are blessed, sir.
Couldn't agree more! I have been blessed with good health, great family and friends, and I really appreciate all I learn from the Paceline! Happy weekend, folks!

Greg
Old 06-01-2018, 04:25 PM

An interesting post. I suspect that weight has a huge amount to do with life style, as in food and activities. Also a certain amount of luck perhaps, as in DNA. I'm a fraction under 6 ft and currently weight about 145 lbs, which is maybe 5 under what I weighed when I was 50 years younger (I'm 73). I doubt I've ever been much over 150 in all my life, maybe never. I don't really know because weight has never been anything I've paid attention to. Basically I don't eat all that much, and never have, but can definitely splurge on chips and salsa and a margarita or two when I'm stateside, but otherwise really have a diet that's rather moderate. And I've always been physically active, always, rock climbing, skiing, mountain biking, running, road biking, hiking, mountain climbing, always something, otherwise I go a bit bat crazy. Never had a desk job, never lived in a city, never even lived in the suburbs, other than when I was a kid at my parents', never been a big beer drinker (want weight, drink beer), damned little alcohol either (wine excluded, not alcohol anyway, just a sort of fruit juice, but good fruit juice!) so like I said I think it all really comes down to lifestyle. And luck. And a good bike.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:51 PM

6 ft., 176 lb - ~10 to 15 lb above my fighting weight....
Old 06-01-2018, 06:08 PM

6'4" 260.
My BF % is around 11%-12%. Not that high, for a normal human.
I'm built wide like a barn door.