Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 04:05 AM

Enve tubeless ?

Have all enve ses 2.2s been tubeless compatible?

If not when did this change and how do i recognize the difference if any by just looking at the rims?

I have tried enve contact but not yet received an answer. Thanks for info
Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 AM
ergottWheels

Can't recall if they were always tubeless, but might have been. They will have the same deep center channel in the tire bed that other tubeless rims do. Standard Enve rims have normal internal profile.

I built a pair for someone and spoke tension dropped so much when a tire was installed (not even a tubeless tire) that we ended up swapping out the rims for 4.5s instead. With internal nipples you can't exactly install tire and bring tension back up. If you crank up the tension without the tires installed you risk damaging the hubs as they have tension limits too.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:22 AM

Thanks

Looks to me like you are saying that regardless of tubeless compatible or not the rims suck ?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:26 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Thanks

Looks to me like you are saying that regardless of tubeless compatible or not the rims suck ?
If they did make them in standard (not tubeless) I'd be all about that. Just don't remember if they did. There's been industry talk between tire and rim companies and looks like they are finally agreeing on standards for all the important dimensions with regards to tire fitting. We're talking about bead seat diameter control of a few tenths of a mm. Really makes the difference, too tight and tension drops, too loose isn't safe.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:30 AM

Cheers

No i cant recall either but im looking at a set and the owner is saying they are not tubless compatible so that makes me wonder if they ever were or if the owner and actually the shop (that originally sold them) are wrong.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Do as much research as possible before you drop any significant cash.

I have a friend that has been a mechanic/wheel builder for >30 years and he reported the same de-tensioning problem mentioned earlier. Tires were mounted and both wheels went out of true. Big $$ customer for the shop so he tried increasing tension again (twice, I think).

He got it to "very nearly true" with a tire mounted/inflated but that's not good enough for new wheels on a $12K custom build so they went with 3.4s instead.

This was @2 years ago but I don't know about their tubeless compatibility or which "generation" of 2.2 they were (if there are multiple?).
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 AM

Ive had a set of 2.2s before that dident have this problem but i had them only very briefly. Cant imagine that all 2.2 rims were like this, surely this would be something one have heard about a lot more if that was the case?

Isent the 2.2 rim also used in the front for the 3.4s? Should be a lot of ppl pointing this out if it were a consistent problem i would think
Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM

I have a set of 4.5's that are not "tubeless compatible." I set them up with 2 layers of tape and have been running them tubeless (schwalbe pro 1) for the last 1.5-2 years without any issue.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 PM

No, the numbers specify rim depth. Kinda.

2.2s are 2.2s (25mm/25mm) and 3.4s are a staggered F/R set that started as 35mm/45mm. For some reason that changed a couple of years ago to 38mm/42mm.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Also, the ability to convert any non tubeless ready rim to tubeless use is not pertinent to the original question or subsequent cautions about 2.2s.

That said, experimentation and modification of bike parts can be cool but comes with varying degrees of risk.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 PM

Oh i would have thought they would have a 2.3 set if they had a 30+ mm rim as well but maybe thats just to close to the 25/25 anyways.

Well i guess i will use these with regular clinchers regardless but i dont like the idea of poor tension. Maybe i will just have to test them and report back. I think these are tubeless ready but hopefully they are not. Provided they have less tension problems that way that is.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-23-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM

I have the 3.4's in the original version which were not designated TC. I've been running them tubeless since new with the normal double wrap of Stans tape (don't use any other tape). Also I use the 28 mm Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire. Definitely need to run TC tires.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:30 PM

You’re only allowed to consider tubeless if you have a letter signed by the Pope to ride on a Tuesday afternoon. If not you’ll forever suffersidewall failures.