Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Pragmatic questions re Di2

Di2 v. Mechanical: weighing pros and cons. A potential con for Di2 it seems is the wiring for DIY mechanics; not so much the initial setup which I'd be happy to let the framebuilder or a shop do, but rather things like changing seatposts or handlebars and stems. Is it a pita to deal with or do you just leave enough connecting cable stuffed in the tubes/handlebar (now that the handlebar junction can be used to eliminate hanging the junction box from the stem, right) so that if you're changing something it's not a big deal?

And yes I know that I could avoid all this with etap; I have it on two bikes but frankly think Dura Ace 9100 and Ultegra R8000 shift better, have better rim brakes and don't force me to start accumulating new wheelsets for 12 speed or buy last years all ready obsolete model.

Thanks for some perspectives.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 PM

Depends

It depends on the specifics of the frame.
It also depends on what junction box you use and where the box is located.

If you go the route of the newer bar end junction A with a compatible handlebar- the bars need to be routed with DI2 wires inside. I put my D-fly inside the bars as well.
This would take some work if you wanted to change bars.

Stems not really an issue.

Post not really an issue. If you use one of the Ritchey rubber plugs to hold the battery- It is easy to swap.

Frame- Mostly not an issue- But some are harder than others. It helps to have the Park tools for this. It is a set of wires with a magnetic end- Also comes with a nice magnet to guide it.

But wires don't fail very often.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Di2 v. Mechanical: weighing pros and cons. A potential con for Di2 it seems is the wiring for DIY mechanics; not so much the initial setup which I'd be happy to let the framebuilder or a shop do, but rather things like changing seatposts or handlebars and stems. Is it a pita to deal with or do you just leave enough connecting cable stuffed in the tubes/handlebar (now that the handlebar junction can be used to eliminate hanging the junction box from the stem, right) so that if you're changing something it's not a big deal?

And yes I know that I could avoid all this with etap; I have it on two bikes but frankly think Dura Ace 9100 and Ultegra R8000 shift better, have better rim brakes and don't force me to start accumulating new wheelsets for 12 speed or buy last years all ready obsolete model.

Thanks for some perspectives.
Handlebars are half a day and 3 beers for non shop mech's, if you need internal. If not no diff. Same with stems. But on aero bikes, where you'll find this stuff like stems with passages, mech is no better, maybe worse.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:44 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

If you're trying to build an tri bike or an aero road frame, Di2 makes your life MUCH easier. AMHIK

I'm not a fan of SRAM stuff either, despite the 'no wires' thing. Too many stories of consumers effectively being beta testers

M
Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Thanks. This will be for a Spectrum steel bike so basic double diamond frame.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:11 PM

I have built a trek Crockett which was not designed for Di2. I have it on my Spectrum, I built up my Seven with it, and I have it on my Parlee.

There is absolutely nothing hard much less even marginally difficult about it. Change seat posts or anything else. It is crazy easy.

I first got on the Parlee and that made me realize I could never go mech again.

Don’t hesitate just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
There is absolutely nothing hard much less even marginally difficult about it. Change seat posts or anything else. It is crazy easy.
+1
Inevitably you'll end up with some slack in the system and you'll be fine.

I'm on eTap now, but spent 2+ years swapping things out on a Di2 bike and never had an issue.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 AM

When I've had to swap bars around and the like I have found the brake cables to be more hassle to reconnect and organize than the DI2 cables.

Don't sweat this. DI2 is so very easy to setup and use.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 AM

For handlebars with internal routing, it can be a little bit fiddley to get the wires through - but not really difficult. i tied a nut to some floss, dangled that through, then tied the floss to the di2 wire and pulled it through. Easy, once I figured out the method.

Other than the routing, it's far easier than cables. Just unplug it and plug it back in.