Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Cycling-X-Ray Trucks to Be Used at Top Races to Detect Motors

Cycling-X-Ray Trucks to Be Used at Top Races to Detect Motors

PARIS — The International Cycling Union (UCI) will use X-ray equipped trucks on Grand Tour stages and leading classic races this season following an increase in concerns about riders using motors inside their bikes.

A source with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters on Tuesday that X-ray cameras would check bikes after stages of the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia, the Vuelta and the five biggest one-day races.

The UCI has called a news conference on Wednesday to present its action plan in the fight against 'technological fraud', which the ruling body has made one of its top priorities under new president David Lappartient.

Frenchman Lappartient was elected in September, beating outgoing president Brian Cookson.

Under Cookson, the UCI had used a tablet device to scan bikes, a technique that was widely criticized by riders and some team staff for being ineffective.

In the last two Tours de France, thermal imaging cameras were also used to detect the potential use of motors in bikes.

This was part of a collaboration between the Tour and France's Atomic Energy Commission and the measure will be extended this year, the source said.

Former professional rider Jean-Christophe Peraud of France, who finished second in the 2014 Tour, was named "manager of Equipment and the Fight against technological fraud" by the UCI last November.

"He had credibility, you cannot fool him," the source said.

In 2016, Belgian rider Femke van den Driessche was banned for six years by the UCI in the first case of 'motorized doping' in cycling.

Van den Driessche, who was caught at the cyclo-cross world championships in Belgium, denied knowing that the bike broke the rules, and said it belonged to her friend.

As well as the Grand Tours, the races affected by the new UCI measures are the Milan-San Remo, the Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Liege-Bastogne-Liege and the Tour of Lombardy.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:18 PM

In an unrelated story, Pro Tour teams convert to steel frames.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Randomhead

I was trying to think if carbon is see-through to xrays, and then I remembered the place I used to work had a xray machine for aircraft parts. Worked really well on carbon.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Hmmm...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.00.28 PM.jpg (42.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I was trying to think if carbon is see-through to xrays, and then I remembered the place I used to work had a xray machine for aircraft parts. Worked really well on carbon.
Most, if not all, x-ray tables are made from carbon much thicker than a frame would be. The beam will pass right through with no attenuation if no metallic objects are concealed inside the tubes.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 AM

Next up, bikes wrapped in tin foil ...for "aero" purposes
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 AM

infrared cameras for sure, not x-rays
Old 03-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
infrared cameras for sure, not x-rays
I would think Flir would be a better choice during the action? If they X-ray the bikes whats to say a bike couldn't be changed out or a motor dropped in/taken out right before/after the race?

William

Last edited by William; 03-21-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I would think Flir would be a better choice during the action? If they X-ray the bikes whats to say a bike couldn't be changed out or a motor dropped in right before/after the race?

William
I am no longer up on the technology. A/D conversion was my specialty in the late 70's and was recruited by Hughes to help develop FLIR systems.

FLIR used to stand for forward looking infra red.

I am just an old dinosaur.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:39 AM

Basically, I think the best and least invasive means is heat signature. Bombing the riders with ionizing radiation is not nice.

Sorry, I think I understand now. They will check the bikes before or after each stage. This picture of the bike with rider threw me and was thinking....what....they are using x-rays. Needed the second espresso

Last edited by ripvanrando; 03-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Basically, I think the best and least invasive means is heat signature. Bombing the riders with ionizing radiation is not nice.
I think this is a pre/post test of bicycles alone. There really wouldn’t be a way for them to x-ray the bikes in motion. X-ray is different than infrared as it needs a detector array on the opposing side to capture and convert the attenuated beam into an image.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I would think Flir would be a better choice during the action?
Infrared is good for picking up BB motors, but apparently there has been some concern that it wouldn't pick up wheel motors (where the wheel is part of the motor). Also, infrared would only detect a motor in use - an un-energized motor wouldn't show up. As far as I know, the wheel motors have mostly been conjecture or rumors, I don't think any have been publicly demonstrated.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Administrator

wouldnt they want to check the bikes at the finish, or some other time when the bike is stationary? infrared isnt going to be any good if the motor is off and cold...

how are these motors controlled anyway?

Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Infrared is good for picking up BB motors, but apparently there has been some concern that it wouldn't pick up wheel motors (where the wheel is part of the motor). Also, infrared would only detect a motor in use - an un-energized motor wouldn't show up. As far as I know, the wheel motors have mostly been conjecture or rumors, I don't think any have been publicly demonstrated.
It would seem that the 3 things that you need for a motor: metal, battery and magnets, shouldn't be terrible difficult to detect.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wouldnt they want to check the bikes at the finish, or some other time when the bike is stationary? infrared isnt going to be any good if the motor is off and cold...

how are these motors controlled anyway?

I do think they are going to have an official watching the race feeds to look for 'suspicious bike changes'.