Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM

OT: update me on your experiences with saabs

Hey all,

I'm sure used saabs have been discussed before, but now that they have been out of business for enough years for people to need replacement parts and service etc with higher mileage cars, how easy is it to maintain them?

the for sale prices are always tempting, and having lived in Vermont for some of my youth where it seemed like every third car going down the road was a 900, I have a perennial soft spot for them.

I'm considering one for a 2nd car/work car for a job where I'll have a long commute and want something to drive the wheels off in highway miles.

whats the life hack for keeping a saab?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Friends that have had the original, non-Subaru, Saab’s always had more then one! They’re pretty neat especially the earlier ones! I like the engine, but have no real knowledge of them other than they’re unique. Only ever driven non-turbo ones and felt like they had typical front wheel drive manners.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:18 PM
DELETE ACCNT

The older, original Saab 900s are great
I used to have a 900SPG and regret selling it

Nowadays, it will be harder to source parts and trim which would be the big difficulty.
It's built solid. The doors shut like a 911 or G wagen.

The newer GM Saab's I don't know anything about but the 9-3 is supossed to be quite good
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Forward the Foundation

JAS-39 parts are still production.

So no problems here.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM

I had the last iteration of the 9-3 that had the hatchback (2002 9-3 SE). Loved that car though it had some quirks. Would likely still have it today if not for an accident.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM

have had nothing but great experiences with Saab2000
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM

From some auto mechanic friends, i was told it’s getting very hard to get parts for Saabs.

As aside, my first car was a Saab 96 with a 2-Stroke engine (mixed oil with the gas like a leaf blower), manual choke and 4-speed manual on the column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Shoegazer

I had a couple, non-GM, SAAB 900 turbos. Absolutely wonderful cars. I only wish I could have afforded to keep them roadworthy.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:59 PM

I'm still driving my 2007 9-3 and have never had a problem getting parts. I got hit by a 16 year old neighbor in a snow storm and it was easy to get replacement body parts, in fact easier than with other cars that I have had. I also found a local junkyard that had two with the identical paint and body panels so if needed I could just switch them out rather than repairing or replacing and painting. Mechanically, I have never had an issue apart from the airbag recall (handled by GM for free.) On the interstate I average in the high 20 or low 30's MPG. The seats are very good and supportive. I would highly recommend one.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 PM

Thx for the inputs. I should've clarified, I'm not looking for a vintage saab, and though that label itself may be debatable probably looking at something '07 or newer which I realize puts it in the GM era and is not a saab to most purists.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 PM

I went to test drive one once because I watched Seinfeld and thought they were cool.

The one I chose was a silver wagon (shocking) and I sat in it while the dealer went to get the keys.

I broke the seat trying to adjust it. He came back with the key and I said, nervermind.

That’s all I got.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Hey all,

I'm sure used saabs have been discussed before, but now that they have been out of business for enough years for people to need replacement parts and service etc with higher mileage cars, how easy is it to maintain them?

the for sale prices are always tempting, and having lived in Vermont for some of my youth where it seemed like every third car going down the road was a 900, I have a perennial soft spot for them.

I'm considering one for a 2nd car/work car for a job where I'll have a long commute and want something to drive the wheels off in highway miles.

whats the life hack for keeping a saab?
I had a SAAB 9000 years ago. It was a disaster. There is a reason SAAB went belly up.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 PM

My first car was a saab 900 turbo. I also had a couple of 900s models. Fun cars and those models were literally tanks. I remember being sideswiped by a grand prix during a snowstorm. I had to get pulled out of a snow bank, but only had a minor ding. The grand prix had the whole entire side caved in.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
The older, original Saab 900s are great
I used to have a 900SPG and regret selling it

Just wanted to chime in:
Ditto, I loved that car and regret selling it. Every so often I look for one just as a fun car.

That said I had no interest in the GM era of Saab so I can't help you there.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPG.jpg (76.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 PM

I would be wary about an orphan that was always a rare car to use as a high mile commuter. OTOH an old GM sled (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) with the 3.8L v-6 will run a long time, the A/C will be good and they can get about 30 mpg highway on regular gas. Bubba at most gas stations can fix it and parts are CHEAP.