Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Weight Weenies cleaned up their classified forum very nicely, by preventing follow up comments. If a person is interested in a item posted for sale, then they send a PM or email to the seller. Its very simple. And it avoids the chatter comments and questions from those that have no interest in buying the said item. In addition, WW does not allow reposting ads from Craigslist, eBay and whathaveyou. That is nothing more than fleamarket type activity. This was suppose to be a classified section for members to sell something they have, not for reposting junk from other flea market venues.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:42 PM

so is this still for sale?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:44 PM

There are pitfalls with no commenting as well, much easier imo for ppl up to no good to not get called out on their ads.

And no safety for potential buyers to see what type of person they are dealing with in terms of looking at interaction between members questions and query on said item.

Its not all good with a clean section to sell stuff imo. I like our version better but its true that the there seem to be more less polite ppl around now then a few years ago, i have also noticed unfortunately.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-19-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Drinking and classifieds, a dangerous combination...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
People are strange...anyone answer a WTB and the person doesn't have the courtesy to reply at all? really? ho hard is it to say thanks but no?
This happens pretty often. I'm starting to think that when I see a WTB and I have the item I should just post a For Sale so everyone can see the info at once. That takes no more time than answering all the questions/proposals of the guy who posted the WTB and that person can respond just as easily as if I had only responded to him. No down side, right?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Try selling a car via Craiglist... This place is as honorable as a monastery.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM

This thread makes me feel better. I thought I was the only one who attracted jackasses to their classified items.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
People are strange...anyone answer a WTB and the person doesn't have the courtesy to reply at all? really? ho hard is it to say thanks but no?
My #1 peeve to be honest, especially when it's a well known super duper senior member and the WTB was vague as sh*!, but they clearly had very specific wants.

On the flip side I just completed a smooth sale to a "0" poster.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Anything I'm selling here, I basically ignore any of the PMs I get unless its a name I recognize as a regular.

Makes the process a lot smoother.
Generally I'd agree. Then again I've had several great exchanges with 'lurkers' or new folks to the Forum.

This sort of experience is so anecdotal... not that this necessarily applies in this case, but sometimes two consecutive sketchy interactions makes everything look pretty bad...
Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
My #1 peeve to be honest, especially when it's a well known super duper senior member and the WTB was vague as sh*!, but they clearly had very specific wants.

On the flip side I just completed a smooth sale to a "0" poster.
I completed 3 on the last batch of stuff I sold. Asked questions, paid quickly and even messaged me to say they received it.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:05 PM
PegoNagos

I am pretty new to this forum and I LOVE the traffic in the classifieds - I also really like that there can be discussions on the topics whereas other forums (ww) don't do this.

I haven't tried selling much (if anything), but I have bought many things that I haven't needed. Great products are great prices!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Anything I'm selling here, I basically ignore any of the PMs I get unless its a name I recognize as a regular.

Makes the process a lot smoother.
Some of the regulars here are hardly saints; in my experience a few of them are the cheapest, most rude people around. One of them is even somewhat "known" around here for constant "bartering".

Quote:
This. It happens more and more. I really do not understand that one at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i find that very troubling, and i'm sorry to hear that there are members here who would act in such a discourteous manner.

that said - i can not fathom why people are so reluctant to use the feedback thread to post factual feedback and alert other members to this type of thoughtless behavior. in this manner, as a seller you can make more informed decisions about who you may want to do business with.

please use the feedback thread folks.
I'm not sure this would work so well for some of these issues.

What?: "I replied to a crankset WTB by cheapguy. I was asking a very fair $100. cheapguy replied via PM asking if I could sell it to him for $30 and free shipping plus no PP fees. I replied that I could not do so, sorry. I never heard back from cheapguy."

That would not change anything, I'm afraid. Few people use the feedback thread actively, and the positive-to-negative feedback ratio is probably 99-to-1, which makes sense since that is for the most part the more responsible, adult crowd. I suspect that very few people actively read the feedback thread in order to gauge the trustworthiness of a potential buyer or seller.

I completely agree with all those who write that the behavior, especially in the Classifieds, has become much worse recently. It is very disappointing.

Frankly, I wouldn't care at all if the Classifieds were shut down completely.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:10 PM

Dang

Sorry to hear about your experiences - that would get old really fast.

FWIW - I have had great experiences on both ends of the transaction though in fairness I have not sold anything real recently. I'll 2nd that it does help to recognize names.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM

All my sales and purchases through this forum's classified adds have been positive. I sell to the first person who calls "dibs" on an item and pays in a timely fashion. I've politely declined low-ball offers. All purchases have resulted in products exactly as described, delivered in a reasonable time frame. I'm much happier to buy and sell here rather than through eBay!

Greg
Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
If one of those was me, I apologize. I think there were a few folks who offered me older Campy silver stuff and I had so many PMs come in I got lost. Still, I should have done a better job of managing my inbox.