Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 12:50 PM

Integrated Brake on Steel Frame?

Looking at a frame where the holes for brake housing is on the top of the toptube, both entry and exit. It really messes with the flow of the frame imo as the brakehousing has to enter and exit in a curve which does not look good against the straight tubes (imo ofcourse). It also doesent help that the point of entry and exit are about a decimeter away from headtube and seattube so its not really that integrated anyways, it sorta of dives in the tubes for half of its length or so bah

So im picky guy i know but can these be moved really close to the headtube / st ? If so how close, guess the current design has something to do with not wanting points close to the bigger stress areas?

Can they be twisted to enter exit from the side at least or not the top? I guess depends on what tubes etc but hmm

I can always ask to get a cheaper frame with just regular stops i guesss for the price of the "featured" frame .)

What you all think about integrated brake housing on "retro" bikes?

Good example:

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 PM

Nevermind, you edited with a pic!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 PM

I think you can totally put the closer and might even be stronger because I imagine the tubing wall is thicker there. but then the housing curve might not be as graceful.

For me, I prefer classic cable stops on lugged frames.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
I think you can totally put the closer and might even be stronger because I imagine the tubing wall is thicker there. but then the housing curve might not be as graceful.

For me, I prefer classic cable stops on lugged frames.
Yeah me to i think well not always but these pictured arent very gracious. They are even deal brakers for me.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Shoegazer

Brake cable entry underneath is the way to go.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM

The style in the OP's photo is what I have always thought of as the most "high end" way of routing the cable. Which isn't to say it is the best, just that it hides the cable while doing so with flare. I associate it with the best '80s Italian and Japanese bikes - like the Miyatas. The Vitus 979 is a toned down version of the same. Done right, these are unlikely to rub anything, but may rub the seat post.

(Miyatas had large, unreinforced holes that led to tube cracks. Lesson learned - you can put the holes anywhere on the top tube, as long as you gusset the hole.)

I have a Raleigh with internal routing that enters and exits on the side of the aluminum head and seat lugs. It is extremely clean looking and makes it a pleasure to pick up the bike by the top tube, but it is almost boringly unobtrusive. But it is easily the cleanest, least likely to rub anything.

I like cable stops for external routing, but only at 7 o'clock. I recently saw a custom frame with 11 o'clock routing and it struck me as both impractical and ridiculously ugly. But 7 o'clock does rub the frame. For a luxury frame, it is maybe too utilitarian looking.

If I were getting a premium painted bike, I would absolutely go with the some version of internal routing, at the very least to spare the paint from cable rubs. But it is also dramatic and classy looking.

This might be what the OP needs:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_63PK3woFEK...0/DSC02010.JPG

Last edited by Kontact; 03-06-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

That routing in the OP was about non aero brake levers.

When aero levers became main stream, clever builders dropped the front like the yellow and blue Moser there.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post

Yeah thats not bad at all. I could "live" with that .)

So it seems most is with me then.

Ah the aero levers, but ofcourse makes sense. Do most ppl still buy these frames and put c record on em and not ergos? (cause we know they aint putting shimano on em )

Yes if regular "stops". Then 7 a clock. 7:30 even? To hide little bit extra when seen in straight profile.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrump View Post
When aero levers became main stream, clever builders dropped the front like the yellow and blue Moser there.
There must have been a lot of not very clever builders for a long time.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM

I disagree. Most relocated their routing in the late '80's Your memory might differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
There must have been a lot of not very clever builders for a long time.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemen3 View Post

Damn, that Moser is stunning!

Back to the thread, I prefer cable stops but I would only do internal routing on a steel or to bike if it was custom. That way you can discuss the best entry and exit points.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrump View Post
I disagree. Most relocated their routing in the late '80's Your memory might differ.
You might be right - maybe the move to left side internals didn't make much of an impression because the photos are always from the right side and the cables just seem to disappear. But I still would have put the move after the '80s.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Yes if regular "stops". Then 7 a clock. 7:30 even? To hide little bit extra when seen in straight profile.
Richard Sachs places regular external stops at 11 o'clock on all his frames now, really for aesthetic reasons.

Cables routed in that position do look good.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Richard Sachs places regular external stops at 11 o'clock on all his frames now, really for aesthetic reasons.

The routing itself might look good, but the stops stick up on top of the tube with a skinning cable connecting them them looks unfinished, and is an invitation to mess up the paint. I'd rather just have three housing guides if the cable is going to be on top of the tube - it looks smoother and is much less likely to screw up the paint.

My opinion, of course, but I have heard other people saying the same.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post

Yeah i noticed that. Its a visual choice i do not agree with. To each his own i guess.

Had an older IF with cable stops at around 11. Prefer 7 for visual reasons and sometimes the 11 a clock caught my shorts as well when resting on the tt (stationary red light sorta of rest your thigh position, yes sometimes i do stop at red lights )

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.